SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#291906 - 08/31/10 02:27 PM jordan rudess arranger style
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
jordan rudess using his keyboard like an arranger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aII0De0ek9k

Notice his left hand holding chords that trigger the guitar strumming that follows his chords and trigger the vocal programme.

Changing right hands sounds just like a registration or one touch setting......

Is it beyond anyones imagination to see a performance like this being done on a true arranger with some moderate tweeking ......

Just needs an open mind.

#291907 - 08/31/10 03:48 PM Re: jordan rudess arranger style
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
WOW! Now that's incredible playing. Several years ago there was a guy who frequently posted on the PSR-Tutorial by the name of Julio who played Flamenco guitar on his PSR-2000. He utilized a similar style of playing and accessing the styles. I'll see if I can dig some of his midi files out of the archives and post the links.

Thanks for a wonderful link,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#291908 - 08/31/10 04:43 PM Re: jordan rudess arranger style
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
But is this 'creative', or is it 'imitative'?

I tend towards the latter. It's a very good imitation of an OK guitarist, but you are all currently going ga-ga over a couple of REALLY good guitarists. Does this deserve to be up there in terms of creativity..?

Plus, has anyone bothered to ask the question of why Jordan chooses to do this on a WS, rather than picking an arranger to do it on? Maybe he hasn't heard about how creative the arranger could be, IF someone like him were playing one?

But, then again, he was a Korg endorser during the Oasys days. Surely at that time he would have had the opportunity to play the PA series..? Why is he doing this on a WS?

#291909 - 08/31/10 05:13 PM Re: jordan rudess arranger style
Dnj Offline

Spalding.....fantastic...thank you for the link..AWESOME!! really enjoyed it.

#291910 - 08/31/10 11:15 PM Re: jordan rudess arranger style
spalding1968 Offline

you still missing the point dikki ??????? I guess there are none so blind as those that choose not to see......

It could not be any clearer. The arranger keyboard is not the limitation. It is the creativity and imagination of the player.

Jordan probably has never even touched an arranger keyboard. He is an endorser of some korg products as he has also endorsed roland and kurzweil. That does not mean that he has played or had a hand in every product from the respective manufacturers range. But i am confident that if he got under the hood of an arranger for solo performances like this clip, we would not even be discussing this point.

Simply take the point. What Jordan did if we had the chops could be replicated on an arranger keyboard and whats more because of the deeper chordal possibilities on an arranger, and the quicker registarion/one touch settings , the techniques Jordan used could be applied to thousands of different performances with out the need to preprogramme functions as he had to do on his workstation to mimic what an arranger does as bread and butter functions.

Jordan was clearly using his work station as a mock up arranger.

The guitarists were certainly creative within the limitations of the instrument they used. An arranger almost has limitless possibilities and therefore its impossible to compare the level of creativity that could be achivied using one compared to a guitar player using everything they can within the limitations of wood and string to express themselves. its different types of creativity. Not necessarily different levels.

But what is clear is that if a highly dedicated and talented musician works within the limitation of whatever instrument they own, great things can happen.

[This message has been edited by spalding1968 (edited 08-31-2010).]

#291911 - 09/01/10 12:15 AM Re: jordan rudess arranger style
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Spalding
Nobody is denying that if you spent enough time and had creative talent that you could make great music on an arranger, the questions is “Why” when there are so many instruments out there better suited to the job.

The truth is; the Arranger is and always has been designed to allow one person to emulate Orchestras, Big Bands etc., in a domestic environment with minimal work, nothing more, nothing less. (That pros can make a living with them just shows how versatile they are)
Regards

Bill

#291912 - 09/01/10 10:34 AM Re: jordan rudess arranger style
spalding1968 Offline

why ?????? Because there are a whole lot of budding songwriters/performers/musicians out there looking for a hardware solution that can do it all. An arranger (especially the Korg range)can pretty much do it all more readily than a pure breed workstation can. In terms of live versatile performance a workstation is pretty limited compared to an arranger. Go on motifator and search how many threads are about why the XS does not have tyros features and sounds or how appreciative even pro musicians are about the new inbuilt styles, sorry 'Arps' that the motif has with intros and endings that they can quickly copy and edit to their own tastes into a sequencer or convert into their own arp, but of course they are not really styles are they otherwise God forbid it might be similar to an arranger ......

I think King Frog mentioned at one point that he only bought the tyros for the fact that he could use the styles in his studio(i hope i have not misqouted you Kingfrog)

From memory the motif range went from no arps in the motif clasic to over 6000 in the motif XS including drum groves, bass lines and and guitar tracks.

now the Fantom G has them and korg have the Karma .

All i am suggesting and it is only a suggestion, is that an arranger in fact could be the ideal instrument for most musicians if they used just a little imagination .

watch this clip all the way through and forget that its an arranger you are litening to.
http://www.sud-claviers.com/index.php/2008/10/26/171-concert-tyros3

[This message has been edited by spalding1968 (edited 09-01-2010).]

#291913 - 09/01/10 11:46 AM Re: jordan rudess arranger style
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Spalding
I watched it all through, but what am I supposed to be looking for that is so fantastic, it’s just a typical arranger demo you get from dealers and manufactures road shows all over Europe.
Curious

Bill

#291914 - 09/01/10 02:03 PM Re: jordan rudess arranger style
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
NAH!

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#291915 - 09/01/10 02:26 PM Re: jordan rudess arranger style
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by spalding1968:
why ?????? Because there are a whole lot of budding songwriters/performers/musicians out there looking for a hardware solution that can do it all. An arranger (especially the Korg range)can pretty much do it all more readily than a pure breed workstation can. In terms of live versatile performance a workstation is pretty limited compared to an arranger. Go on motifator and search how many threads are about why the XS does not have tyros features and sounds or how appreciative even pro musicians are about the new inbuilt styles, sorry 'Arps' that the motif has with intros and endings that they can quickly copy and edit to their own tastes into a sequencer or convert into their own arp, but of course they are not really styles are they otherwise God forbid it might be similar to an arranger ......

I think King Frog mentioned at one point that he only bought the tyros for the fact that he could use the styles in his studio(i hope i have not misqouted you Kingfrog)

From memory the motif range went from no arps in the motif clasic to over 6000 in the motif XS including drum groves, bass lines and and guitar tracks.

now the Fantom G has them and korg have the Karma .

All i am suggesting and it is only a suggestion, is that an arranger in fact could be the ideal instrument for most musicians if they used just a little imagination .

watch this clip all the way through and forget that its an arranger you are litening to.
http://www.sud-claviers.com/index.php/2008/10/26/171-concert-tyros3

[This message has been edited by spalding1968 (edited 09-01-2010).]

Can't wait for martin, Barrtmann & Voncken to showcase the T4 !!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online