SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#291880 - 08/31/10 11:34 AM Re: Has the fire for Bose L1 and Compact passed?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I've been using my Bose L1 for about 5 years now, Depending on the gig, I will use them in stereo, or if I do a whole band I will set it up with location based output as Bose suggest.

I have 3 Bose L1 model 1, 1 L1 model 2, paclite bass package, and a compact

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#291881 - 08/31/10 12:31 PM Re: Has the fire for Bose L1 and Compact passed?
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
With much trepidation, I bought a Classic in 2003 and at that time continued to use the Barbettas for smaller venues until I replaced the Barbettas with the Compact. I use the Compact for my restaurant gigs, the L1 Model1 + a B1 for larger venues, and as I did this past weekend for the Margarita Festival, I used the Compact/T1 on stage with me, and the L1M1+ two B1’s in front of the stage. I continue to be very happy with the Bose equipment.
Ciao,
Jerry

#291882 - 08/31/10 01:13 PM Re: Has the fire for Bose L1 and Compact passed?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Fran,

I only know of one forum member, Scott Yee, that claimed he had a problem with phase cancellation. To my knowledge, no one else has ever reported having a problem. I sincerely believe it is a non-issue.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#291883 - 08/31/10 01:51 PM Re: Has the fire for Bose L1 and Compact passed?
kla4 Offline

Loc: NL
Gary,
As far as I remember it was reported while using only ONE L1 system and the L+R outputs (from a stereo source like a keyboard) lead into the L1 mixer (input 1&2 or 3&4).... so both summed to a MONO signal.

#291884 - 08/31/10 02:46 PM Re: Has the fire for Bose L1 and Compact passed?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Fran,

I only know of one forum member, Scott Yee, that claimed he had a problem with phase cancellation. To my knowledge, no one else has ever reported having a problem. I sincerely believe it is a non-issue.

Cheers,

Gary

Gary, Uncle Dave mentions Phase cancellation also..

BTW: Dave just bought a pair of QSC k-12's...for stereo...and my guess also for "bigger" sound...

Personally, I have never played a pair of Bose L series in stereo..so I have no hands on opinion..I have read many reports with an explanation about the "ripple" of sound that causes a problem..

The reason I have never desired a Bose L1 or Compact had nothing to do with it being mono..or the way it covers the room..I have never thought it was the "best" sound..It definitely had a missing element in the full range....This was confirmed by many other Bose owners...

Give Bose credit where it shines..but also make known where it does not..

#291885 - 08/31/10 03:38 PM Re: Has the fire for Bose L1 and Compact passed?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Yeah Fran, but you are also aware that Dave is deaf as a post! And, keep in mind that Dave was the one who turned me on to the Bose L1 in a restaurant you and I were at in Phili one night. Some folks claim Bose lacks mid range, some claim there's no bottom end, and some, like myself and many, many others on this and several other forums, love em'.

Kla4, you may be right about that. It was several years ago when Scott first tried them out. Scott now uses a Pose modified Logitech Z-5500 system that really does an outstanding job for him, both indoors and outdoors. I still have a Z-5500 here that I modified and from my perspective it's the best sounding conventional sound system I've heard.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#291886 - 08/31/10 03:45 PM Re: Has the fire for Bose L1 and Compact passed?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
I love my Bose compact.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#291887 - 08/31/10 06:12 PM Re: Has the fire for Bose L1 and Compact passed?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I remain very pleased with my L1..I've heard three different acts with the Compact and I didn't care for it. The sound was, IMO, thin and didn't carry the way the L1 does.

I can't say I'd never go back to a traditional stereo set up but for right now, the 15's are staying home!

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#291888 - 08/31/10 06:43 PM Re: Has the fire for Bose L1 and Compact passed?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
A few weeks ago I played a 4-piece job in an Eagles lounge. I brought my regular setup of s910 and Compact, that's it. I ran my mic thru the leader's 808s, but it was EQ poorly and sounded like %(&*, so I plugged my mic into the s910 and played the night just like I do on my solo jobs. All three band members commented positively on how clear and strong my keyboard and voice sounded thru the Compact. I was still running both dials at 12 o'clock. So I guess I have to say my Compact passed my test of being able to play with and cut thru a regular system and a couple guitar amps. I'd buy a second if I needed more sound, (or found one at a price I couldn't pass up) but this little Bose does the trick, no doubt.

BTW - I always complained of a thin piano sound - I beefed up the s910 EQ and solved the mid-range problem. My small Behringer mixer can do the same thing.

#291889 - 08/31/10 07:17 PM Re: Has the fire for Bose L1 and Compact passed?
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I did have a phasing issue with using the Compact with the L1. I didn't understand the issue completely and posted a question on the Bose forum. Here is part of the response that I received. I used the suggestions and had no problems ... if anyone is interested:

Let's call phasing = Multiple Source Interference.

There are several ways in which you can create the problem, but let me just deal with the situation we have here: A Compact and a Model I. (I will refer to these as the L1®s)

The multiple source inteference can occur when you have two or more loudspeakers (the L1®s) that can be heard at the same time (the sounds from them are overlapping) - and the source for both L1®s is the same. That is both L1®s are playing the same frequencies at the same time and the sound from the L1®s is interacting in the air (overlapping coverage area).

The severity of that interference and the frequencies at which this will be most prominent will vary depending on the distance between the two L1®s and where you are in relation to them.

I am suggesting that by reducing keeping the Compact at a relatively low volume, you can reduce the multiple source interference - because you are reducing the amount of overlap in the sound from the two L1®s.

Bose has recommended that when running two L1®s with the same source, you should place the two L1®s at least 20 feet apart. This will help a lot if you have the space to do it.

Here is are some articles that should help.
Stereo / Mono / Distributed Systems

Practical Realities of Phase Interference.

How's that Jerry?

edit: spelling

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online