SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#291890 - 08/31/10 09:40 PM Re: Has the fire for Bose L1 and Compact passed?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have used one original L1, then two of them, then one Compact, then two of them.
I was perfectly satisfied with one until I got two. Since going with two Compacts I have not seen a need for anything more. In fact I sold the other systems.
You must be careful to keep a strong enough signal to the Compacts and not OVER-e.q. them.
I have no problem with hearing mids and no problem with phase cancellation, as I have said many times before.
I would be happy to help with settings.
I have found that not much e.q. is necessary. For those addicted to the "old" standard V curve on e.q., it certainly WILL result in a lack of mids, because you are in effect boosting the lows and highs.
Start by running the sound into the Bose flat then carefully add a MINIMUM amount of e.q. if you feel it necessary. (It usually isn't!)
I have played an outdoor job with about a hundred people and still don't turn the Compacts up more than 50 percent. I will play that same job again this coming Saturday afternoon.
BTW, I routinely get more money for parties than most four-piece bands around here. I believe it is because everyone can hear the music clearly and no one is deafened by the sound.
Granted, I don't play "Dance" music for the youngsters. I do play DANCE music for adults!

DonM

#291891 - 08/31/10 09:50 PM Re: Has the fire for Bose L1 and Compact passed?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
I would never try to sell the Compact to a keyboard player. That thing is designed for a GUITAR and a Vocal....Nothing more. Even has the guitar "tone match" setting on the line in side. Coffee shop volumes. There is not a lot of bulk in the sound. Midrange is weak. Easily over driven. Sounds better with only one extender.

The Mod II is still hot in our house. Have not found a venue where it did not work out or wasn't complimented on the clarity and eveness of direct sound high to low almost 180 degrees around the listening area, Myrtle beach is full of Singles and Duos and most of the successful ones are using the Bose System. One popular guitar duo each has one. They sound great. No tracks Just acoustic guitar and vocals on two Mod II systems about 8 feet apart. A real wide and natural stereo performance without phasing issues.

I would rather the keyboard players check out the new Samson Expedition Series (yeah Samson) which improves on the Yamaha Stagepass System by adding a fan to the amp and an Ipod mount with better Bottom end for $100 Less than the Yamaha and $500 less (and louder) than the Bose and in Stereo. It is really a nice system. I cannot vouch for reliability.....but it sure beats the Yamaha StagePass System on many levels..
http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=2001&brandID=2

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 08-31-2010).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#291892 - 09/01/10 08:52 AM Re: Has the fire for Bose L1 and Compact passed?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
All I can say is that I use mine just about every night, and people pay me pretty well.
I haven't tried one in a music store though.
The Compacts are wonderful tools for what I'm doing. You can clearly hear all the bass, the mids and the highs.
DonM

#291893 - 09/01/10 08:58 AM Re: Has the fire for Bose L1 and Compact passed?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
All I can say is that I use mine just about every night, and people pay me pretty well.
I haven't tried one in a music store though.
The Compacts are wonderful tools for what I'm doing. You can clearly hear all the bass, the mids and the highs.
DonM

DITTO!

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#291894 - 09/27/10 11:00 AM Re: Has the fire for Bose L1 and Compact passed?
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
If you're looking around, give the powered EV ZXA1 speakers a try. I run them with a small sub. Sound great and easy to carry.

#291895 - 09/27/10 12:29 PM Re: Has the fire for Bose L1 and Compact passed?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by TP123:
Which 15's did you go with and did you consider 12" before deciding?

Also do you worry that when you want to upgrade power you'll need new speakers?

THANKS

http://www.mackie.com/products/th-15a/

15" powered...Lightweight, Super sound
4 band EQ....
nuff said...love em!

#291896 - 09/27/10 01:33 PM Re: Has the fire for Bose L1 and Compact passed?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Interesting comment from Kingfrog... He SELLS them, is a keyboard player, and wouldn't recommend them. Yet many remain happy as sandboys. What makes this so?

Personally, I put it down to the RADICAL differences in volume that many of us play at. 100 pensioners need a completely different level of volume and especially low end (they grew up in an age before subwoofers!) than 100 hiphop dancers. Playing background to 200 people at a snooty country club affair isn't the same as playing foreground to 200 drunk Cajuns at a fais do do! Some like their sound at roughly the same volume a live band would play at, some play at volumes no more than the Muzak plays at.

One size does NOT fit all... But you'll rarely hear that from the Bose evangelists. It works for THEM, how could it POSSIBLY not work for everyone else? If YOU can't get a good clean sound out of a Compact, OF COURSE it must be something you have done wrong...

Give it a break! 130W RMS out of what, four tiny speakers and a TINY subwoofer. You were expecting a Vertec line array? OF COURSE it's going to break up and get muddy as you get loud. And anyone that hasn't YET heard the Compact get dirty has by definition not got it loud, yet! It's what they DO....

#291897 - 09/27/10 02:00 PM Re: Has the fire for Bose L1 and Compact passed?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Actually, it's six small speakers and a mid-size subwoofer, but who's counting?

So, Diki, with all your infinite wisdom about sound systems, what brand and model are you using these days?

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#291898 - 09/27/10 02:15 PM Re: Has the fire for Bose L1 and Compact passed?
Diki Offline

Yamaha powered mixer, two Yamaha passive 15" and horns (my partner got the JBL SRX 12"'s when he moved to Oregon, damnit!), one or two Mackie subs (depending on gig), two Mackie SRM150 monitors (for live gigs or loud duo).

Usually, solo or duo I put the PA a hair behind and to the sides, and just work off that, but if on a full stage with the PA out front, I'll break out the mini-monitors (still get some hefty blowback from the subs to fill them out).

I don't know if I CAN make it sound bad... I've never really been allowed to play it that loud. But I have used it a lot for full live band, and that puts WAY more stress on a PA than a compressed arranger. Handles it like a champ. I'm afraid I don't play enough muzak gigs that a tiny portable system would pay for itself fast enough. This is a vacation area, and people like to PAAAARTAY!

Once again, I reiterate, I HAVE used a Bose L1 system, Gary. I'm not speaking theoretically. That my experience of them varies from yours, I put down primarily to the likely volume difference between our gigs. ANY system can be pushed past its' design limits. Get MINE loud enough, it will also suffer! But the audience's ears will suffer WAY more pushing a small system too hard than a bigger one.

#291899 - 09/27/10 02:18 PM Re: Has the fire for Bose L1 and Compact passed?
Diki Offline

And if the Compact's is a MID-SIZED sub, you have GOT to show me a small one! (would that make the L1 a FULL-sized sub? )

My Mackie 15" subs are what I call mid-size... that is, compared to 18"'s or dual 18"'s

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online