SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#291378 - 08/19/10 11:31 AM Re: OT - Last Call
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Great stuff, Nigel...nicely written and a super performance.

Ian

#291379 - 08/19/10 01:08 PM Re: OT - Last Call
Nigel Online   wise
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Needless to say I don't play keyboard on this song. When we play this live it is the sort of hard rock that really needs two guitars. I play lead guitar on this because I wrote the signature riff around the lyrics and I also had a particular style in mind for the guitar solo I wanted. The solo didn't call for anything fancy but needed to be a rough 'n chunky in your face sort of style but still reminiscent of rock legends like Chuck Berry.

#291380 - 08/19/10 02:13 PM Re: OT - Last Call
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
The solo didn't call for anything fancy but needed to be a rough 'n chunky in your face sort of style but still reminiscent of rock legends like Chuck Berry.

Yeah, but it also works so damn good!

Ian

#291381 - 08/20/10 11:22 AM Re: OT - Last Call
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
WOW!!!
t.

#291382 - 08/20/10 02:21 PM Re: OT - Last Call
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Great rocker, Nigel. Who's singing lead? That you?

#291383 - 08/20/10 03:05 PM Re: OT - Last Call
Nigel Online   wise
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Great rocker, Nigel. Who's singing lead? That you?

OMG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

No that's Roger our male singer. He really has a great strong voice but can sing all sorts of styles not just hard rock. For example he sings a real good version of Crowded House's "Don't Dream It's Over". He's a very versatile guy which is exactly what we need for performing a wide range of rock cover songs.

My only vocal contribution was the Aussie voice introducing the solo " er ... Think I'm gonna puke" ... "Ah that feels better ... Hey pour me another"

I'm so pleased that you all like it so much. It means a lot to me. Especially knowing that hard rock is not really the choice of musical style of many here.

Even though our female singer Sandra doesn't feature much in this particular song she is also a hot singer. She does some great Pat Benatar, Heart ( eg. http://redrhythm.com/website/StraightOn.mp3 ) plus many other female songs. Even though we tend to shy away from Country ( being primarily a classic rock act ) because we have some staunch supporters who always are wearing their cowboy hats we have given in a little and added Gretchen Wilson's "Redneck Woman" and "Here For The Party". As it turned out these have become a big hit with our audiences plus we ham it up when we play them. I use a Variax modeling guitar as an acoustic guitar in "Redneck Woman" and when the song finishes I switch it to banjo and play the start of "Dualing Banjos" from Deliverance followed by a sample from the hillbilly "Squeal" sequence from the movie that I have loaded in my Motif 6. Funny stuff.

It seems like more and more comedy is creeping into our set and the audience are getting a kick out of it. I guess when the band has fun they do too. That's entertainment.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 08-20-2010).]

#291384 - 08/20/10 06:56 PM Re: OT - Last Call
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
OMG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I guess when the band has fun they do too. That's entertainment.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 08-20-2010).]

Nigel... when we had the band in NY one thing we heard a LOT was "you guys are having such a good time, we have to also" ...
Keep enjoying yourself ...
t.

#291385 - 08/21/10 02:56 PM Re: OT - Last Call
Nigel Online   wise
Admin

Mike I totally agree with you about the point you made in The Bar http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum35/HTML/001431.html about the band name.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online