SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#291167 - 08/16/10 07:37 AM What makes you different from other pro arranger players?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Just in case the question is misunderstood, I am not referring to your setup but what sets you apart from the competition.

Hey, to keep it all nicely balanced, why not add another question. What pro arranger player do you look up to or envy the most?

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#291168 - 08/16/10 07:57 AM Re: What makes you different from other pro arranger players?
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
TAIKE...... Interesting questions. Probably this is not a thread aimed at non-pro musicians. Considering music a competitive activity, rather than a skill or talent to share, does not compute in my thinking.

As for "looking up to" pro-arranger players, listening to and/or playing along with other players, is always fun, as well as an opportunity to learn and to teach.

Envy plays no roll at all in my life. It seems to me all who have music to share with others, whether or not they are playing for hire, as a volunteer, or for personal pleasure, are fortunate to have a love for music generally.

Maybe it is my thinking about music that is unique? Elizabeth

------------------

#291169 - 08/16/10 12:12 PM Re: What makes you different from other pro arranger players?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
"Gentleman Don" is the Pro arranger player I admire most.

He's "old school", in terms of his ethics, and, even though I'm not a big fan of country music, I look forward to a time when I can enjoy his music in person.

Russ

#291170 - 08/16/10 05:09 PM Re: What makes you different from other pro arranger players?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I admire a few SZ veterans: Gary Diamond, Fran Carango, Steve Molnar and Bill Corfield.

What sets me apart from other musicians in my area? The response I hear most often is that I play a newer and better mix of music and my vocals are #1.

#291171 - 08/16/10 08:05 PM Re: What makes you different from other pro arranger players?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
As for me it's several things. First of all, a high quality of vocals. Then, it's a great sound and a very professional approach. The energy level is high. The comment I hear very often is the room lights up when I walk in. I always do everything I can to create a party atmosphere. And the day I can't do this anymore is the day I'll hang it up.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#291172 - 08/16/10 08:07 PM Re: What makes you different from other pro arranger players?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
I look up to Don Mason and Donny Pesce because they both know their audiences well and know how to work them. To me, that's what it's all about. I'd also have to add Gary Diamond to that list.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#291173 - 08/16/10 08:43 PM Re: What makes you different from other pro arranger players?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
Just in case the question is misunderstood, I am not referring to your setup but what sets you apart from the competition.

Hey, to keep it all nicely balanced, why not add another question. What pro arranger player do you look up to or envy the most?

Taike

Taike, I will try to answer the questions...I gather you are looking for the single most influential player..I have been fortunate to be around many..but for the 26 years that I have known him...Uncle Dave has been the most skilled I have known..not just his ability to play "arranger", but to step away from arranger and make it playing left hand bass, with comp right hand..Sure his greatest attribute is vocals....and to answer what sets some apart from competition..For me..it is "personality" and the know how...to make the customer feel good..and part of communication (interaction) between entertainer and audience..Uncle Dave has it...and so do I..

Without this...you are in a large group of reasonably good musicians/entertainers..

You can measure your success by the number of your following..

There are several others that rate at the top here on SZ too..Don M, DNJ, and several of the Maryland guys..

#291174 - 08/16/10 10:53 PM Re: What makes you different from other pro arranger players?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Since I'm not a pro player I'm excused from answering the first question.

What players I look up to... without a doubt Chas and Diki even though they don't, -feel free to correct me Chas and Diki, or anyone else- quite fit the category. Yet they have the chops and I rank their playing as one of the best I've heard on SZ.

Oh, I shouldn't forget Ian and Dreamer. I love Dreamer's Latin arrangements.

Non-SZ players: Peter Baartmans and a whole host of Japanese players although their main instrument is either the piano or organ or both.

I don't think Michel Voncken is that unique but that's mainly because of the repertoire of his demos. I just wish that he'd let himself go once in a while like Peter does.

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

[This message has been edited by Taike (edited 08-17-2010).]

#291175 - 08/17/10 05:13 AM Re: What makes you different from other pro arranger players?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
First I look up to all the pros here who earn their living entertaining playing. Top of the mind who I've had personal contact with who have been tremendous help sharing hints with me Gary, DNJ, Zuki, Cass, UD,Ian, Bill Corfield (who gave me a great idea on how to create an anonymous survey so that I could get real feedback from NH clients). Saxxman who I've had personal contact with who does a great job playing sax with the arranger. Can't forget Don Mason either, also watched some video from the Arranger Jam in Shreveport and Joe Songman55, that cat can sing! If I've left anyone out I'll include you by saying that most of you have many years experience gigging where I'm only into this for 4 years even though I've been playing piano since I was a teen.

What sets me apart is not my level of playing, certainly not my voice, the comment I hear most from my NH/Assisted living clients is "you play the tunes we love more than any other entertainer plays." That's probably because I'm stuck in a time warp of 50s and pre-50s tunes. I know I should take at hint from Cass' comment they like him because he plays newer and better tunes because the age base in Assisted Living seems to be getting younger, of course it has nothing to do with me getting older

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 08-17-2010).]

#291176 - 08/17/10 02:55 PM Re: What makes you different from other pro arranger players?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Not sure what makes me different from other pro arranger players, because I think I'm the only one within 150 miles anymore. There are a few part-timers who are pretty good, such as Bill P, but arranger isn't really his primary instrument, it's guitar. I will say he has come a LONG way and does a fine job on arranger now though.
Several of my friends who used to do it have died and there just don't seem to be any young people interested, at least around here.
I have often wished I had a protege to whom I could pass on some of the knowledge I've acquired since the inception of arrangers.
I think the thing that separates me from most of the other single/duos around here is that I treat it as a business. I start early, take few breaks and play as long as necessary. I don't get drunk or make distasteful comments on the job. I dress appropriately and try to do appropriate songs to suit the particular audience.
Sounds simple and even corny, but I've never had a lot of trouble making a living.
As far as the other full-time pro arrangers on SZ, I've only heard a few in person. DNJ, Gary, Boo, Bill, Eddie Shoemaker, Tony, etc., all do a great jobs for their various niches or specialties.
In addition, there are quite a few of the guys I've only heard on line that sound great. I know I'm leaving out quite a few, and I'm trying to also limit it to the "pure" arranger players. Uncle Dave Boyd has inspired a lot of us and I know Scott Yee influenced many arranger players as well.
Having said all this, there are two players that influenced me the most and got me interested in being a one-man-band.
One of them, I have no idea of his name, was working in a motel lounge in Columbia, MO in 1972. He played a Lowrey organ with a rhythm section and bass pedals. First one-man band I ever heard, and I immediately thought "I can do that!" That was some years before arrangers were invented so it probably doesn't fit the criteria.
The other was a guy named Chuck Pollard, who used to perform on the Louisiana Hayride and later did a one-man show. He did a tremendous guitar emulation, back before the sounds were very good at all. He still used a drum machine and used a keyboard for bass and lead. And he could absolutely sing his tail off. I became his friend and we often played golf together and I would pick his brain about music and he would try to learn a little golf from me.
I learned a lot from him as far as sound, balance, performing and song selection. He wasn't truly an arranger player, but only because they hadn't been developed yet at that time.
Sorry about the rambling. Indulge me because I'm old.
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 08-18-2010).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online