James, you took me correctly, I think Apple ARE responsible for the Lionshare of the current (and Future) Popularity & development of Tablets, Archos or no Archos.

Btw, here's a Review I found on the Archos
www.wired.com/reviews/product/pr_archos_9

It's one of a few I've seen that aren't positive at all - the problems seems to be:

a) Limited Battery Life (only 3 hours I think)
b) Limited Ram to run Windows (1 gig)
c) Terrible Touchscreen

(That does surprise me, as I think that there are plenty of viable and superior alternatives to the iPad from PC makers. In fact I'm actually not disagreeing with you re the "iPad doesn't replace a Netbook/Notebook/Laptop" argument, just that there's better products than the Archos it seems.)

I take your point however, you brought up the Archos because it was released before the iPad I think(?) - although probably designed around the same time. Nevertheless, the iPad is now fuelling the Market as a myriad of Competitors rush out similar Products.

I think, at least initially, Apple intends the iPad to be more of a Media Player/Web Browser/E-Reader than a fully fledged replacement for a Laptop. They've said that it's "filling a gap in the Market" - that of the casual user and Consumer. I was shocked when I found out they didn't put in any sort of Webcam, and remain cynical in that I'm sure they deliberately left it out for "Version 2".

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au