SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#289797 - 07/03/10 06:16 PM Re: What does constitute talent?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
In other words, YOU are talented!

nuff said=the final word, the one and only truth?

No... in other words I will ignore you before I get banned again....nuff said!

#289798 - 07/03/10 06:54 PM Re: What does constitute talent?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Speak your mind. Never was a problem before.

But what is it that makes you so talented? Moving a crowd? Even monkeys in the zoo do that and aren't they everyone's favorite?

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#289799 - 07/03/10 10:22 PM Re: What does constitute talent?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've given this a lot of thought. It relates to me, because I was always totally fascinated with musical instruments from early childhood.
I took a few months of piano lessons when I was about 6. I learned trumpet in grade school and played through college, but my mother always had a piano and/or organ in the house and I was constantly fooling around with that too.
The breakthrough was when I learned music theory in high school. I could transfer the music from trumpet, organ, bass or whatever, and could hear songs on the radio and realize the structures.
I REALLY learned to play on the bandstand, one song at a time. I listened to it, wrote down the chords and played the notes. It soon became apparent that many riffs or solos or turnarounds and progressions were the same or very similar in many different songs and many different types of music.
It took me years to be really any good, so I don't think there was that much natural talent involved, other than the capacity to learn and the ambition to WANT to learn.
I've learned from playing with many talented musicians, and some even not so talented.
This process is still going on. I've probably learned more in the past 10 years than in the previous 30, even though I was playing all that time. I still record myself every night and I'm my worst critic. This started back with reel-to-reel, then cassettes, VHS, mini-discs and now digital.
I'm good enough now to play right hand with most anybody and to play most any kind of popular music, but I think I got to this point because I wanted to so badly.
Same with singing, I had to LEARN to sing on key, it certainly did not come naturally. Now it would be almost impossible to sing off key, unless I couldn't hear myself.
I'm pretty sure I'm talented now, because enough people hear me that surely someone would tell me the truth if I stink. I'm not sure how it happened though, other than desire and the fear of having to get a real job.
It's strange that I played bass, trumpet, organ, drums and guitar, but other than trumpet was not outstanding on any of them. BUT, all that is invaluable in my specialty now, which is Arranger Keyboard.
One of the last things to come was relating to the audience well. I always tended to hide behind the music and respond to the audience. Now I'm getting better at being more outgoing and making the response a two-way thing.
Oh yeah and I found out early that girls really dig musicians, even so-so ones.
Now I've forgotten the question.
Gotta sleep now to get ready for a three-hour drive to Arkansas tomorrow to play for a 4th of July festival.
Get this: they are going to feed me, let me play music and sing, clap for me, and then after it's over they are going to PAY me! A lot.
I MUST have some talent finally, and now it seems natural but it wasn't always and it wasn't easy. I was lucky enough to not realize how bad I was until I got better.
Hope this makes sense.
DonM

#289800 - 07/04/10 04:19 AM Re: What does constitute talent?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Great post, Don ...
thnx,
t.

#289801 - 07/04/10 04:41 AM Re: What does constitute talent?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Don, I loved it. Enough humor in there to make it a good read, but enough truth in there to make the read worthwhile. My conclusion; you were ALWAYS talented, but chose to develop it instead of wasting it. If you DIDN'T have talent, you might still be making that 3 hr. trip, but it wouldn't be for "big money" and you'd probably be paying for your own food .

chas

#289802 - 07/04/10 07:28 AM Re: What does constitute talent?
Dnj Offline

#289803 - 07/04/10 08:28 AM Re: What does constitute talent?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:

Now THAT'S talent. Only these aren't monkeys but APES. Monkeys have tails, you see, while apes don't.

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#289804 - 07/04/10 10:21 AM Re: What does constitute talent?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Don, I loved it. Enough humor in there to make it a good read, but enough truth in there to make the read worthwhile. My conclusion; you were ALWAYS talented, but chose to develop it instead of wasting it. If you DIDN'T have talent, you might still be making that 3 hr. trip, but it wouldn't be for "big money" and you'd probably be paying for your own food .

chas

I have to drive more than 2 hours to my gig tonight...I have to pay for my food...and I won't make a lot of money....OH OHHH!!!! What does that mean..

#289805 - 07/04/10 10:29 AM Re: What does constitute talent?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

I have to drive more than 2 hours to my gig tonight...I have to pay for my food...and I won't make a lot of money....OH OHHH!!!! What does that mean..

Sometimes the most obvious answer is the correct one.

chas

#289806 - 07/04/10 10:52 AM Re: What does constitute talent?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Sometimes the most obvious answer is the correct one.

chas

Oh I get it ..they are just being nice to Don...

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online