SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#289312 - 06/19/10 03:11 PM Not much happening atr NAMM...
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
If you didn't it to Nashville for summer NAMM, you didn't miss much. For starters, in a guitar town, Fender (Guild, Gretsch and others),Gibson, Ampeg and Marshall didn't show. I didn't see Roland, Korg or Ketron (no surprise), either.

The Yamaha booth was about 1/5 the size it usually is, with a very small sample of keyboards and guitars. When I was in the booth, everyone was out looking at my friend Ben Lacy "tear it up" at the Warwick booth. No one was there to answer questions.

Casio was there, but, again, the only two employees in the booth were with prospective customers.

Hammond bailed, so I didn't get to see Tony Monaco, who has been at every show for at least the last 6 years; maybe more.

The bright spot was Nord, who had the fabulous C-2, with integral multi-pin Leslie connectors, and a new set of bass pedals, plus the rest of the line-up. They were in a booth connected to Kirzwell, so I don't know if those two share common ownership or what. The Nord show staff was laid back and friendly. I'm trying not to swap out my C-1 for the C-2.

Victor Wooten, one of my all-time favorites, blew everyone away at the Hartke booth.

The show Friday night with John Sebastian and "Vinnie" from the Conan show, put on by my friends and "ticket" to the show, Q-Lighting, was supposed to include Felix, from the Young Rascals, but he bailed at the last minute.

Vinnie was playing a borrowed Heritage top end guitar. It was funny to see the "suit" from Heritage sweat...obviously sent to "babysit" the instrument.

Vinnie and John Sebastian had not worked together or practiced for years, and it showed. Vinnie was not familiar with the borrowed Heritage, but really tore it up on slide played on a no-name archtop from the 30's he brought with him. John's 45 minute show featured some really familiar tunes
(E.G. "What a Day For A Daydream" and others)
to people in my age group. It was obvious that John and Vinnie had been friends for years.

We got a reservation at the Renissance, the hotel connected to the Convention Center, a few days before the show. Usually, it's sold out a month after the previous year's show closes.

I don't expect Summer NAMM to be around for very many more years.

But, it's a pleasant three hour drive from Lexington. My son Logan and I (my bassplayer in the trio) had a relaxing few days away from work. It would have been better if Rory had been in town or if Chas could have made it, but there's always next year. Last year, Rory easily held his own with the finest "Music City" had to offer.

"Cub reporter" Russ signing out. Gotta be across town for a gig in 35 minutes.

R.

#289313 - 06/19/10 04:34 PM Re: Not much happening atr NAMM...
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Russ,
The Nord and Kurzweil keyboards are both distributed by American Music and Sound. They are also the distributors for Jay Turser, Quick Lock and other lines.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#289314 - 06/19/10 07:17 PM Re: Not much happening atr NAMM...
Dnj Offline

Russ thanx for the update ......man it sounds so depressing at NAMM....glad you had some fun....I've also done a few shows with Vinnie's Vivino's brother Uncle Floyd
http://www.unclefloyd.com/index.php

here in NJ also great, comedian and musican also.....

#289315 - 06/19/10 07:18 PM Re: Not much happening atr NAMM...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Sorry I couldn't make it. Thought maybe I could until the last minute, but something came up.
DonM

#289316 - 06/23/10 08:02 AM Re: Not much happening atr NAMM...

Don, I tried to call you before we left. This year, the organization issued a bar code, and participants had to show their photo ID to get their badge. The remaining bar code we had was in Rory's name, so you couldn't have used it.

No problem next year if you can make it...we'll just have to get a bar code in your name.

Would have been great to visit!

Russ

#289317 - 06/26/10 09:45 AM Re: Not much happening atr NAMM...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Korg and Roland were supposed to be located in an area called the "Club", at least according to the roster list anyway. I couldn't locate the "Club" on the NAMM exhibitor map prior to the Trade Show though, so I'm not sure where the "Club" was located. Maybe "Club" is a secret word for "no show" perhaps. Since Russ didn't see them maybe that was the case and they never showed up.

Summer NAMM shows are mostly about Guitar and Guitar related products and keyboard stuff is usually few and far between. It's nice that Clavia was there in force but what a disappointment that Hammond-Suzuki bailed.

Well, Winter NAMM '11 in Anaheim, CA. should be a truly thrilling experience as I expect a least a couple "major" keyboard product introductions at that time. I believe one of them will be a high-end arranger from Roland and/or possibly as well the release of a Tyros4 (under some other name perhaps) from Yamaha. Also, look for a new top of the line Workstation from either Yamaha or Korg but most likely if one is indeed released it will be from Korg who could be wanting to get rid of the "black-eye" ugliness perception of the M3 as quickly as possible and bring out something new and hopefully much more pleasing to look at and play at the same time. Here's to hoping.

All the best,
Mike

#289318 - 06/26/10 11:38 AM Re: Not much happening atr NAMM...
Dnj Offline

hey Mike ........did you go to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry like Harry Potter to learn how to be a wizard and read crystal balls and the future?
Lets just wait and see what turns up at NAMM or anywhere else shall we....What we already have is more then enough to create great music....there will be small improvements in coming units if all follows suit in these economic times. meanwhile enjoy what you have I say.

#289319 - 06/30/10 09:17 AM Re: Not much happening atr NAMM...

Ya, mike, a lot of people paid their booth fees but decided to not show at the last minute. They figured that was the way to cut losses.

Russ

#289320 - 06/30/10 09:51 PM Re: Not much happening atr NAMM...
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Victor Wooten, one of my all-time favorites, blew everyone away at the Hartke booth.

Well at least Victor was there ... he is such a knockout bass player ... just seeing him play makes it all worthwhile. I have seen him play at a couple of booths at Winter NAMM.

#289321 - 07/01/10 08:10 AM Re: Not much happening atr NAMM...

Nigel, I really watched Victor this time. He completely de-tuned, or I should say, untuned his bass while playing it, converting it to a percussion instrument. then, without missing a note, he re-tuned it to the original place...an unbelievable thing to watch.

Victor has been through Lexington several times, with Bella Fleck and on his own. Every time, he stayed after the performance to talk to young people...old people...anyone who wanted to.

He's a class act all the way!

Russ

#289322 - 07/01/10 08:56 AM Re: Not much happening atr NAMM...
Dnj Offline

#289323 - 07/01/10 11:59 AM Re: Not much happening atr NAMM...

Thanks, Donny! That's "prime" Victor, live, for sure!

Russ

#289324 - 07/01/10 02:00 PM Re: Not much happening atr NAMM...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Thanks, Donny! That's "prime" Victor, live, for sure!
Russ

Russ.....the man and instrument playing as one as it should be!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online