#289163 - 06/15/10 05:42 AM Yamaha NP-V80 demo up
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#289164 - 06/15/10 07:34 AM Re: Yamaha NP-V80 demo up
Dnj Offline

posted 06-11-2010 02:05 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Dnj:
Ok I'll be watching for it ....just curios on its features and sound.

There's a bit of a demo here...it's about the arpeggiator.
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail.html?CNTID=5122655&CTID=205900

I'm sure we'll see more stuff in the very near future.

Ian

#289165 - 06/15/10 07:12 PM Re: Yamaha NP-V80 demo up
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
So, I guess an arpeggiator is what defines a 'piano product' as well?

Or does that make it a synth product? Whatever it is, don't for one MINUTE call it an 'arranger', or Ian's world will collapse..

A 76 note arranger from Yamaha? Pack the kids, honey... it's time to head for the hills!

#289166 - 06/15/10 07:42 PM Re: Yamaha NP-V80 demo up
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
So, I guess an arpeggiator is what defines a 'piano product' as well?

Or does that make it a synth product? Whatever it is, don't for one MINUTE call it an 'arranger', or Ian's world will collapse..

A 76 note arranger from Yamaha? Pack the kids, honey... it's time to head for the hills!

Diki, you can call it any thing your little heart desires.

If it will help you cope, you can call it an arranger...I don't mind, and I'm sure Yamaha doesn't mind either.

Yamaha calls it a digital piano, and/or a piano with arranger features, and that's what I'll call it when demoing.

I don't think it will be any serious competition for your old G-70.

Now, if this product had another wheel, and the guts of the S910, it would be quite the piano based arranger (or whatever you want to call it)...betcha it wouldn't be much heavier than an S910.

How unfortunate that Yamaha's market research shows very little demand for a 76 note MOTL/TOTL arranger, but if that should change, it appears they do have the components available.

Ian

#289167 - 06/15/10 08:08 PM Re: Yamaha NP-V80 demo up
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
That's what has been so frustrating, Ian... I am definitely one of the apparently non-existent market research (I certainly wasn't asked! Who DID they ask? - yep, existing Yamaha 61 customers ) said does not exist, with what seems like quite a decent sized portion of this forum who would be VERY interested in a 76 S910.

All Yamaha need is a 76 note keybed (MoXS7 or NP-30 if you HAVE to!) and a bit bigger case. And that's IT... Not exactly the cost a totally new product (like the NP-V80 was) would cost them. Yamaha can afford to do a small production run, design the thing around the internal componentry they already have in the S910, and test market it. Not claim market research that has apparently missed its' potential market completely.

Come on, show of hands... all you members using 76 note arrangers out there. Who of you got asked ANYTHING by Yamaha Market Research?

You ask enough blind people whether they need a red marker or not, pretty soon, you stop making red markers! Got to ask a sighted person from time to time... Me, if I were running Yamaha's market research, I would be asking EVERYONE with a 76 if Yamaha made one, would they buy it...

Then I would take a look at how little it would cost to make a 76 note case for an S910, compared to dominating in the one market Yamaha haven't even TRIED to compete in. Let's face it, Ian... if you think that the S910 is the best arranger in a 61, wouldn't it be the best arranger in a 76, too? Sure, you wouldn't sell as many as the 61. But since it would cost so little extra to produce, you wouldn't NEED to.

Frustrating, and now doubly so, as Yamaha produce a 76 arranger at the BOTL, proving that they DO think a 76 arranger will sell. I believe that the NP-V80 is no less a niche product than a 76 S910... Time for Yamaha to make yet ANOTHER step forward.

#289168 - 06/15/10 08:22 PM Re: Yamaha NP-V80 demo up
Dnj Offline

Yamaha doesnt need a diki to tell themn what to do ...they have a very adequate R&D dept that knows excactly what they are doing regarding the design and marketing of their Musical keyboard division products worldwide I assure you.....even if you dont think so. They are years ahead of what you make think.

#289169 - 06/15/10 09:06 PM Re: Yamaha NP-V80 demo up
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

Frustrating, and now doubly so, as Yamaha produce a 76 arranger at the BOTL, proving that they DO think a 76 arranger will sell. I believe that the NP-V80 is no less a niche product than a 76 S910... Time for Yamaha to make yet ANOTHER step forward.

It only proves that Yamaha considers that there is a healthy demand for a 76-note lightweight "piano based" arranger in the lower priced segment...nothing more.

It would be interesting to know just how well Korg's PA2XPro sold...that would indicate the condition of the 76-note higher end arranger market.

Ian

#289170 - 06/16/10 04:12 AM Re: Yamaha NP-V80 demo up
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
This 61/76 thingy is such an unanswerable question but still we keep rehashing it, always with the same outcome; nobody giving an inch and each side just resting up, waiting for the next (very predictable) round. Here's my take on it.

The only reason Yamaha would make a 76 key Tyros x/S9xx would be to snag some of the market share currently held by Roland, Korg, and Ketron. But, except for Diki , does anyone actually believe that any current owners of an Audya or PA2X (Roland HAS no market share in the MOTL/TOTL arranger market) would turn in their instruments for a 76 key Tyros 3/S910? I don't think so. Why? Because the size of the keybed is only ONE of the factors in determining which ARRANGER keyboard to buy. Much larger factors are, the styles, the soundset, and the OS. Those that like the Audya for it's great?? Latin, Country, and ethnic styles and it's live drums and guitars OR the Korg for it's superior Funk, Rap, Jazz, and R&B styles, are NOT going to buy a Yamaha, no matter HOW MANY keys you give it. The exceptions to this would be so negligible as to not make it worthwhile for Yamaha to even bother. I think Yamaha realizes this and so therefore, I have to painfully side with one of my two friends on this one: the WINNER (for the moment ), IAN .

chas

#289171 - 06/16/10 06:19 AM Re: Yamaha NP-V80 demo up
ianmcnll Offline

The only reason this topic goes around in circles with no seeming end to it, is that some people refuse to believe Yamaha has legitimate reasons not to make a 76 note mid-range or top-of-the-line arranger.

Even when some people were told by a well respected Yamaha person, Steve Deming, that the reason was that the demand was not big enough, they refused to believe it.

Clearly, the bottom line is that Yamaha will not make a 76 note mid or top range arranger until the company decides it's a workable proposition, which obviously, up to now, they have not.

Ian

#289172 - 06/16/10 06:34 AM Re: Yamaha NP-V80 demo up
Dnj Offline

76/88 keys is geared toward PIANO Players who play full mode style....most I would assume require a more "Piano feel" key-bed not a lightweight arranger 61 organ type key-bed.......KORG years ago addressed this with their T1, T2, T3 line of keyboards to give everyone a chance to choose how many & what feel they wanted, obviously that was a dud because they are no longer made.....if you play arranger keyboard the way most do left hand chords/ right hand lead/comp which is most of the market here lies their decision to NOT make a 76/88 anymore.....another reason is now we have midi controller keyboards of all sizes which significantly cut into the keyboard sales and has made NOT making 76/88 arrangers even more of a good idea when you can buy a controller Kb and do what you want. 76 keys is a dying breed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online