Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#289080 - 06/23/10 03:07 AM Re: arrangers vs. PC software
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensnareyou:
If you are using high end East West and Kontakt samples and think the PSR-3000 sounds are anywhere near the same quality, you seriously need to have your studio monitors or your hearing checked.

Any issues you are having with dynamics has to be an error in the setting of your system as the East West Piano samples are multi layered with more velocity cross fades and dynamic range than those on your PSR-3000. There's a reason they use 20-40GB for a single sound, it's called multiple layers, multiple velocity switching, longer samples, and more samples per sound.

There isn't a "closed" keyboard made that can compete with the best VST sounds available, its just not possible with the limited RAM and CPU power that closed keyboards utilize. I don't care how well you sample 128, 256, or even 512 MB of sounds and edit them, when a single sound on a high end VST uses 10, 20, 30GB or more and has nearly every key of the instrument sample mapped, its bound to be leaps ahead of your closed system.

Computers can be problematic and I agree that using an all in one system can be much better. The key is to find an all in one system that has great sounds, tons of features, expansion capability, lots of polyphony, is intuitive, and is built very well. For me that was a Wersi Abacus. For you it seems to be a PSR-3000 which is baffling to many I am sure.

I am not arguing with you that you aren't correct. But I don't really think it even matters. I remember some of the best piano performances I have ever heard being played on a Korg T3 which is far below the VSTs you mention or the PSR-3000. So the bottom line is nothing to do with the quality of the piano sample but has everything to do with performance. The quality of the sound is much more important to you than your audience. Worry more about how you play than how you sound. If your a hot player you will sound great using any piano sample ... if your not the sample you use won't help at all.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 06-23-2010).]

#289081 - 06/23/10 08:04 PM Re: arrangers vs. PC software
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
I am not arguing with you that you aren't correct. But I don't really think it even matters. I remember some of the best piano performances I have ever heard being played on a Korg T3 which is far below the VSTs you mention or the PSR-3000. So the bottom line is nothing to do with the quality of the piano sample but has everything to do with performance. The quality of the sound is much more important to you than your audience. Worry more about how you play than how you sound. If your a hot player you will sound great using any piano sample ... if your not the sample you use won't help at all.

Nothing ever was better said then this on this or any other forum...i just wonder how
many guys in here think that thi audience has a clue on what we use or think of Sound.

#289082 - 06/23/10 09:03 PM Re: arrangers vs. PC software
hitman Offline

Loc: VA/ USA
The audience does have a clue, but it depends for what audience you play! If you are refering to most of the audience from eastern europe, residing in the US, than I will have to agree that they really don't have a clue or care what you sound like.

#289083 - 06/23/10 09:40 PM Re: arrangers vs. PC software
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by hitman:
The audience does have a clue, but it depends for what audience you play! If you are refering to most of the audience from eastern europe, residing in the US, than I will have to agree that they really don't have a clue or care what you sound like.

Oooh, thats a bit harsh don't you think??

#289084 - 06/23/10 09:54 PM Re: arrangers vs. PC software
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by hitman:

Scientifically proven fact or just "your" opinion? It's hard to believe something like this. And if they're residing in the US, why not just call them Americans?

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#289085 - 06/23/10 09:59 PM Re: arrangers vs. PC software
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by beachbum:
I have been playing around with Sonar and all the patches and mixing and this and that... Takes forever to get anything done. I can't beat the quality I've gotten from my past set up, simple arranger board recording to the computer with adobe Audition... Check out the sound quality, even if you don't like this type of music you have to admit this is pretty good with no additional extra's
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=313920

[This message has been edited by beachbum (edited 06-22-2010).]

Nice job Beachbum.....you've come a long way ...stay the course!! WTG!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online