SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#288955 - 06/10/10 02:30 PM What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
Dnj Offline

That's easy for me...I won't play without my 8" ...3 speed fan in my face PERIOD!

1- Keeps perfume, cologne, urine/feces and smoke out of my face.

2- Keeps me cool under stage lights, hot nursing homes, clubs, catering halls & outside summer gigs etc..

3- NO FAN......NO PLAY nuff said.

#288956 - 06/10/10 02:50 PM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Keeps perfume, cologne, urine/feces and smoke out of my face.

You know, Donny, your groupies don't sound as much fun as Fran's...

But yes, +1 for the fan.... no urine/feces for me, but 95F plus humidity means a breeze is a MUST.

#288957 - 06/10/10 03:32 PM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
[B]
B]

I thought indoor smoking had been banned.

Diki, heat and humidity is something I have to deal with almost every day. Still, I prefer to say it's not the heat but the humidity that's the main culprit. Makes it feel twice as hot. But, in your case, you'll feel less "heat" if you stop looking at all those bikini-clad college grads. Why not let Chas do all the sweating. He comes prepared, after all.

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#288958 - 06/10/10 04:11 PM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
My Very Large tip jar
Bebop

#288959 - 06/10/10 04:40 PM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
If I can't use my own, then a first-rate sound system, and someone who knows how to set it up and do a proper sound check (and monitor it, if necessary).

chas

#288960 - 06/10/10 05:33 PM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
That's easy for me...I won't play without my 8" ...3 speed fan in my face PERIOD!

But if it is blowing IN YOUR FACE, isn't it blowing those odors in your face?!?!? just askin' ....
t.

#288961 - 06/10/10 06:51 PM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
But if it is blowing IN YOUR FACE, isn't it blowing those odors in your face?!?!? just askin' ....
t.

You see here is where the artistry of using a fan on stage comes into play my friend.....proper identification & direction of the offending odor is need with the proper amount if fan tilt is very proficient...I acually use two fans at once one for the odors & one for myself at different angles.

PS, smoking is still allowed in PRIVATE clubs and house parties...

#288962 - 06/10/10 07:28 PM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
A sustain pedal is a must for me...

#288963 - 06/11/10 05:17 AM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
A good light makes a great difference.

I have two friends who both play in bands that don't use lights, and in my opinion it just looks wrong. I just can't convince them of how much more professional they would look with a simple light. They just don't see how it will add to their music which is a fair point, but playing in the dark or under normal lightening just look unprofessional.

They don't like the heat they generate either , but you can get full colour LED lights now that solve all that.

Cheers
James

#288964 - 06/11/10 07:49 AM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
A small goose neck light. If I'm in a dark corner, some of the control buttons on my MS-60's are hard to see. And, the 13 note controller isn't as easy to operate without seeing the pedals as conventional bass pedals.

Often, there is enough light, but, if not, I've got my trusty little floor goose neck in the car.

R.

#288965 - 06/11/10 08:50 AM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
My folding music stand with an attached Little-Lite and my three ring binders of fake music, over 800 songs that I use for restaurant work...all songs arranged for two pages max, so there is no page turning.

Ian

#288966 - 06/11/10 09:30 AM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
My folding music stand with an attached Little-Lite and my three ring binders of fake music, over 800 songs that I use for restaurant work...all songs arranged for two pages max, so there is no page turning.

Ian

lot to carry 7 bulky too Ian why not use a smaller laptop or music reader for the music?

#288967 - 06/11/10 11:40 AM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
lot to carry 7 bulky too Ian why not use a smaller laptop or music reader for the music?

Actually, it's not too bad at all Donny...the books and the music stand go in a soft case, weigh about 15 lbs...and I like reading from the books as opposed to a laptop screen.

(1)Two MS60S powered speakers.

(2)PSR-S910 in soft case with all cables and pedals...double X-stand and folding bench in soft case.

(3) Books and music stand in one soft case...two modified X-stands for the speakers in one soft case.

Three trips...I can use the exercise...all very light and easy to carry.

I never book myself so that I have to rush.

Ian

#288968 - 06/11/10 12:13 PM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
Dnj Offline

If it works for you so be it that's good....I weened myself off charts and lyrics etc, a long time ago and practically have memorized everything I do, inspired by the "UNCLE DAVE" method frees me up more playing & makes for better stage presence & eye contact while playing....but to each his own. As long as it sounds good I say!

carry on

d.

#288969 - 06/11/10 12:42 PM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
If it works for you so be it that's good....I weened myself off charts and lyrics etc, a long time ago and practically have memorized everything I do, inspired by the "UNCLE DAVE" method frees me up more playing & makes for better stage presence & eye contact while playing....but to each his own. As long as it sounds good I say!

carry on

d.

I rarely read the music...I have it for a security blanket mostly...I manage a fair amount of eye contact, but in my job as a dinner music/background player, it's not that important.

Plus, it is too much effort to memorize 800 or more songs...I'm very lazy.

I don't do dance gigs, and I don't use any music when doing concerts or demos.

As you say, to each his own...it works for me.

Ian

#288970 - 06/11/10 01:28 PM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

This is a very important "piece of gear" for me......No..not that!!!...the mixer...

#288971 - 06/11/10 02:02 PM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Now days I don't leave home without my RnR10, Xseat and Xstand with mic boom. Unfortunately, I've succumbed to a thin ring binder for lyrics and a few charts. The damned lyrics are gettin' harder and harder to remember - wonder why...

#288972 - 06/11/10 08:19 PM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
124 Offline

No. 1 accessory - duct tape. Keeps my EC5 pedal in place.

About lights, I bought a six-led book light from Chapters for about $10. Battery lasts for ever and it's plenty bright.

#288973 - 06/11/10 09:22 PM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
M.... and my three ring binders of fake music, over 800 songs that I use for restaurant work...all songs arranged for two pages max, so there is no page turning.

Ian

Yep, me too..Except in my case its the laptop. My one accessory I could never do without...Well maybe in a pinch...Can always play a tune for 6 minutes instead of three, hey??

I too, am too lazy to bother FULLY learning approx 650 songs

Dennis

#288974 - 06/12/10 07:54 AM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I always knew 100% of my music by heart. It's just been the last 10 years that I've been using a lyric book; it keeps getting thicker and thicker... lol

#288975 - 06/12/10 08:03 AM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
zuki Offline

A baseball bat to keep the 'Fran type' women away from me

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#288976 - 06/12/10 08:15 AM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
Beakybird Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
I always knew 100% of my music by heart. It's just been the last 10 years that I've been using a lyric book; it keeps getting thicker and thicker... lol

I used to carry a lyric book. Now I have text files stored on my USB. Each text file is associated with a song registration.

If I call up a registration file named Volare, I just have to press the TEXT button, and Volare gets called up. If needed, I can put the chord changes. I also often have the composer, recording artist, and when the song hit #1 on the charts or won a Grammy.

I'll have to pick up one of those fans for the outdoor shows I have this summer. I don't do the nightclubs.

Outside of footswitches and a thumb drive, I don't use any accessories in my show. But I do like to have a bottle of lens cleaner and a micro fiber cloth kept in my gig bag to wipe the spittle off my keyboard.

I always keep an electric shaver, dental floss, eau de toilette, and mouthwash in my car in case I don't look or feel fresh upon arriving at that second or third gig of the day. At a slow gig in the Alzheimer's unit, there's always time for a quick shave in between songs.

Beakybird

#288977 - 06/12/10 08:22 AM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
I used to carry a lyric book. Now I have text files stored on my USB. Each text file is associated with a song registration.

If I call up a registration file named Volare, I just have to press the TEXT button, and Volare gets called up. If needed, I can put the chord changes. Beakybird

Beaky can you also link the lyrics files to MP3 songs on the thumbdrive also on the S910?

#288978 - 06/15/10 07:24 PM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
Diki Offline

Lyrics linked to SMF's or MP3's are cool, but what do you do if you play in a live band at times? It's simpler for me to have the few lyrics I need in a binder, then whatever keyboard you play and wherever you play it, you have what you need. Tie it to technology, and you run risks...

#288979 - 06/15/10 07:25 PM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
Diki Offline

Oh, and +2 on the sustain pedal (and expression pedal and FC-7, too!)

#288980 - 06/15/10 08:09 PM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
Dnj Offline

ketron products used to be able to link the lyrics to mp3's. or what ever as long as the were names excactly the same it would come up....I personally dont need lyrics or charted music.....it was just a question I thought of after reading a post on SZ and wanted to know if it could be done for the heck of it.

#288981 - 06/16/10 10:36 AM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Without a doubt ... the mic stand is top priority! Without that ... its not an "uncle Dave" show. I need that vocal link from my heart to the crowds ears. The rest is. All fluff.

#288982 - 06/16/10 12:22 PM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
A baseball bat to keep the 'Fran type' women away from me

I seem to remember your video, Jim. Do you GET a lot of those 'Fran type' women at the NH? Actually, I remember the 'young' lady who seemed so enamoured of you during your performance there. Come to think of it, she did seem like she'd be a good match-up for Fran .

chas

#288983 - 06/17/10 08:49 AM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
I seem to remember your video, Jim. Do you GET a lot of those 'Fran type' women at the NH? Actually, I remember the 'young' lady who seemed so enamoured of you during your performance there. Come to think of it, she did seem like she'd be a good match-up for Fran .

chas

Don't make fun we're all headed there, you can ride your new motorbike around the actiity room in your MUST have gear which would be a diaper

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-17-2010).]

#288984 - 06/17/10 10:01 AM Re: What Accessory piece of Gear is a MUST for you to perform on stage?......
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Don't make fun we're all headed there, you can ride your new motorbike around the actiity room in your MUST have gear which would be a diaper

Now that was funny, Donny. Glad to see you're getting your sense of humor back. Beats the heck out of being angry all the time, don't you think?

chas

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online