SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#288947 - 06/10/10 12:53 PM Played a Kenny Rankin Tribute...
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
It was my honor to play 4 tunes at a mid-day luncheon-Kenny Rankin tribute for the local Jazz Arts group. He died one year ago yesterday. They asked me because I'm the only one in this area who does Rankin type tunes on a nylon string, and I have been a fan for 30 years or so. Hurt like hell, but I really enjoy the Rankin style.

Played "Haven't we met"?, "When Sunny Gets Blue","Hiding Inside Myself" and the haunting "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".

Can't begin to sing as well as Rankin, but, even injured, am comfortable with that kind of nylon string playing and arrangements.

Got a minute? Just Google these tunes and others by Rankin. What a significant contributor to a unique art form. One of my all-time favorites.

Unbelievable!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 06-10-2010).]

#288949 - 06/10/10 02:12 PM Re: Played a Kenny Rankin Tribute...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Sounds good, Russ, but why do get the feeling that you're having a hard time following doctor's orders. Be careful.

chas

#288950 - 06/10/10 02:23 PM Re: Played a Kenny Rankin Tribute...
Dnj Offline

#288951 - 06/10/10 02:54 PM Re: Played a Kenny Rankin Tribute...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Chas nailed it. It's not supposed to hurt, Russ...

You've got many, many years of great music left in you. Are they worth jeopardizing for a few gigs now..?

You should listen to your adoptive father, Russ (if you want to ride that bike tonight!)

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 06-10-2010).]

#288952 - 06/10/10 03:10 PM Re: Played a Kenny Rankin Tribute...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
The guys are right Russ...you may set your recovery back quite a bit, or halt it altogether, by bending the rules.

Look after that hand, my friend.

Ian

#288953 - 06/10/10 03:30 PM Re: Played a Kenny Rankin Tribute...
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
You're right, guys. Yesterday was the one year anniversary of Rankins death. Nylon is the least damaging of all the instruments...much less of a problem than any bass and the steel string L-5 and Godin I play for straight ahead jazz with the trio. I can't come close to doing that right now.

This one was an honor to be asked to do, and a chance to pay tribute to one of the greats, in my opinion. I only did the 4 songs, declined to play in the group that was there afterward...all the best players in the jazz arts group...mostly University music school Faculty. I've reluctantly turned down all bass and instrumental guitar jobs indefinately. Couldn't really pull them off to my satisfaction, anyway.

I'll do arranger, piano cocktail and an occasional R&B job on my XB-2 (the group has a bass player-less of a problem for my left hand) for the balance of the year, unless my doctor says I can do more. I think the deciding factor will be whether I will be happy with the output, given the fact that I will never have all the feeling back and speed will be restricted...pretty limiting for a guy who likes to play Howard Roberts, Benson, Wes Montgomery, Tuck Andress, etc.

The soft Brazilian focus of the Rankin style is pleasing, and I'm the only one around here who plays that kind of nylon instrument on jobs.

That will be my focus for the balance of the year, I think...achieving a level of proficiency I can be happy with, under doctors orders.

Thanks for the good thoughts and wishes.

Russ

#288954 - 06/10/10 05:36 PM Re: Played a Kenny Rankin Tribute...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Russ ... it's really nice you got to do that, and I am glad for you ... BUT BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!! ...
t.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online