SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#288769 - 06/07/10 09:47 AM Re: Music Alert!
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
You just have to accept that the GOOD OLD DAYS are over......

Five years from now, when the only music in the country will be that pumped in from the White House (according to the Teabaggers), you'll be calling this (2010) the 'GOOD OLD DAYS'.

chas

#288770 - 06/07/10 12:05 PM Re: Music Alert!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
You just have to accept that the GOOD OLD DAYS are over,

For you, possibly. For me, the good old days are still in full swing (except for BP's contribution!)...

I prefer to not have to remember that far back to a time when I actually ENJOYED making music! Couple of days is about all I can stand

#288771 - 06/07/10 01:32 PM Re: Music Alert!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Depending on your definition, the "Good Old Days" might, in fact, be over. But, the very definition of the creation of music just begs for the inclusion/recognition of co-operative efforts and collaboration. I think there is a transition issue, for sure, due to technology and tastes, but predominance of OMB players? Never happen, on a national level.

Several times a month, I visit a studio, play my part of a production transported in and out of the facility electronically, and never know the other player/programmers. That's very different from the studio musician days, where the rhythm section did their "thing", followed by horns or vocals...whatever.

In my world, I get as much group work as solo arranger work. And, man is that more fulfilling! In fact, if there were only arranger/single work available, I'd "hang it up."

And playing with other players is HARDER...rehearsals...shared arrangements and lots more. But, to me, that's well worth the hassle. For me, the choosing of OMB work over group work (anything from duos, on up)would be "selling out."

It looks like the differences in opinion are again the differences between those who are primarily musicians vs. those who are primarily entertainers. Just look at who's on each side of this discussion here and consider which side of the "Entertainer/musician" divide each one is on.

Different strokes, for sure. It is my belief that the complete disappearance of collaborative musical efforts is never going to happen.

That would be a damn shame.

Russ

#288772 - 06/07/10 03:22 PM Re: Music Alert!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
It is my belief that the complete disappearance of collaborative musical efforts is never going to happen.

That would be a damn shame.

Russ

It certainly would, Russ ... and seeing what the music programs for both band and chorus are like in the schools my grandchildren attend, and how the instructors have the kids perform music from classical to show tunes to jazz tunes using different size combos and orchestras, I too believe collaborative music will never die ...
At a show last week, our oldest granddaughter - age 12 - performed in a number of choruses, singing songs in German, French, Swahili, Hawaiian and English ... AND they new what the English translation was as well ...
On Friday the school performed at a "performance evaluation" - not a competition per se, but choruses and bands from different schools are evaluated on their performance, and her group scored 'Superior' in both band and chorus ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 06-07-2010).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online