SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#288759 - 06/04/10 09:33 AM Music Alert!
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Okay, Rory is probably going to be annoyed, but it's his own fault for posting some really sweet, sweet music over at the Bar where a lot of folks don't often go.

For those in need of a clinic on how to accompany a jazz vocalist on piano, I highly recommend checking him out. It's even more mind-blowing when you realize that he would be equally impressive playing 'Country Roads' on a banjo. Obviously I'm a big fan (even if our political stars aren't quite in alignment ), but heck, I'm a musician and I think most musicians have a lot of admiration and respect for great talent when they see it.
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum35/HTML/001398.html

chas

#288760 - 06/04/10 11:02 AM Re: Music Alert!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
That is a fact...I also noticed Rory played keys using "black keys"...it made it easy for me to follow (play) along with Rory.. ..as in hard to play a wrong note..

Carolyn's selection of "standards" was great, not so common songs..including a couple of my favorites..

#288761 - 06/04/10 12:41 PM Re: Music Alert!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I know you've heard it from me before, but, almost best of all, besides all the talent, he's a genuinely modest, funny, intelligent kid. Most of the superior players I've met in my life are similar. They're so secure in their ability, all the paranoia, bitterness and jealousy you see in lesser players just isn't there.

He taught me! I previously didn't take country players seriously. He's one country player who can out "Jazz" this grumpy old "Jazz kat".

Rory's what being a musician is all about!
I couldn't have chosen a better "adopted kid"!

Russ

#288762 - 06/04/10 01:17 PM Re: Music Alert!
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Yeah Chas, I'm annoyed. Very annoyed that another thread popped up with people saying really nice things about me and leading to a link to hear some music. Really sucks.

When I hear people talking about ditching a live band because the OMB arranger is such a better option; all I can say is, no arranger and no arranger performance would be as fun to listen to or perform as playing with 4 other super talented people. This is an arranger forum, so I probably just put my head on the chopping block, but whatever. I have fun with my s-910 once in awhile, but it doesn't even begin to compare, and how some people can actually prefer it over live players is more than I will ever understand.

Anyway, thanks for spreading the word Chas, hope y'all like the music.
Rory

#288763 - 06/04/10 01:48 PM Re: Music Alert!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
What GREAT STUFF!!! Some of my favorite tunes ...
Any place I can find this music to D/L into my iPOD???
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 06-04-2010).]

#288764 - 06/04/10 02:16 PM Re: Music Alert!
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Lol, luckily they can't tax talent.
"there will be a slight talent tax on people who know more than 200 chords and variations. You will have an annual brain probe and a few of your chords and licks will be wiped from your brain and given to people who know 15 chords or less."

Oh, and a great many of these songs are on Carolyn's CD called the very thought of you. However, I'm not on it. She did it before I moved to town. I do have a copy of the radio show though, just one long file, not divided into tracks.

The "taxing talent" remark was a fun little jab in response to the message above which has been edited out, just so people know that it wasn't totally completely out in left field as it sort of looks to be now.

[This message has been edited by FAEbGBD (edited 06-04-2010).]

#288765 - 06/06/10 01:22 PM Re: Music Alert!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by FAEbGBD:
When I hear people talking about ditching a live band because the OMB arranger is such a better option; all I can say is, no arranger and no arranger performance would be as fun to listen to or perform as playing with 4 other super talented people. This is an arranger forum, so I probably just put my head on the chopping block, but whatever. I have fun with my s-910 once in awhile, but it doesn't even begin to compare, and how some people can actually prefer it over live players is more than I will ever understand.

That's one huge 'AMEN!' from me, there, Rory...

I feel sorry for people that feel that way, as it is obvious they have never been in a situation where they WERE playing with super talented players. And if they HAVE, and STILL prefer the arranger, they are lost past redemption...

#288766 - 06/06/10 05:46 PM Re: Music Alert!
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
That's one huge 'AMEN!' from me, there, Rory...

I feel sorry for people that feel that way, as it is obvious they have never been in a situation where they WERE playing with super talented players. And if they HAVE, and STILL prefer the arranger, they are lost past redemption...

I've said it before, and I will say it again, and again, and AGAIN!!! ... Nothing in my musical career will top the 26 years I played with the band in NY ... not the most talented players, but we could entertain a crowd and keep the dance floor jammed ... and we had FUN!!! ... If only I could get that back again ... but at least I had it - and for a LONG time ...
t.

#288767 - 06/07/10 09:15 AM Re: Music Alert!
captain Russ Offline

You guys are absolutely right about the joy of that unspoken communication between players of comparable ability playing off each other.

Thus, my love-hate affair with all arrangers.

Good tools I use only when absolutely necessary.

Russ

#288768 - 06/07/10 09:21 AM Re: Music Alert!
Dnj Offline

You just have to accept that the GOOD OLD DAYS are over, many of us have played with bands for many years.....just remember the good times and keep going. Times have drastically changed we are the last generation to have both the "Old & New" in our lives in music and in so many other ways.......no sense doting on it.

#288769 - 06/07/10 09:47 AM Re: Music Alert!
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
You just have to accept that the GOOD OLD DAYS are over......

Five years from now, when the only music in the country will be that pumped in from the White House (according to the Teabaggers), you'll be calling this (2010) the 'GOOD OLD DAYS'.

chas

#288770 - 06/07/10 12:05 PM Re: Music Alert!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
You just have to accept that the GOOD OLD DAYS are over,

For you, possibly. For me, the good old days are still in full swing (except for BP's contribution!)...

I prefer to not have to remember that far back to a time when I actually ENJOYED making music! Couple of days is about all I can stand

#288771 - 06/07/10 01:32 PM Re: Music Alert!
captain Russ Offline

Depending on your definition, the "Good Old Days" might, in fact, be over. But, the very definition of the creation of music just begs for the inclusion/recognition of co-operative efforts and collaboration. I think there is a transition issue, for sure, due to technology and tastes, but predominance of OMB players? Never happen, on a national level.

Several times a month, I visit a studio, play my part of a production transported in and out of the facility electronically, and never know the other player/programmers. That's very different from the studio musician days, where the rhythm section did their "thing", followed by horns or vocals...whatever.

In my world, I get as much group work as solo arranger work. And, man is that more fulfilling! In fact, if there were only arranger/single work available, I'd "hang it up."

And playing with other players is HARDER...rehearsals...shared arrangements and lots more. But, to me, that's well worth the hassle. For me, the choosing of OMB work over group work (anything from duos, on up)would be "selling out."

It looks like the differences in opinion are again the differences between those who are primarily musicians vs. those who are primarily entertainers. Just look at who's on each side of this discussion here and consider which side of the "Entertainer/musician" divide each one is on.

Different strokes, for sure. It is my belief that the complete disappearance of collaborative musical efforts is never going to happen.

That would be a damn shame.

Russ

#288772 - 06/07/10 03:22 PM Re: Music Alert!
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
It is my belief that the complete disappearance of collaborative musical efforts is never going to happen.

That would be a damn shame.

Russ

It certainly would, Russ ... and seeing what the music programs for both band and chorus are like in the schools my grandchildren attend, and how the instructors have the kids perform music from classical to show tunes to jazz tunes using different size combos and orchestras, I too believe collaborative music will never die ...
At a show last week, our oldest granddaughter - age 12 - performed in a number of choruses, singing songs in German, French, Swahili, Hawaiian and English ... AND they new what the English translation was as well ...
On Friday the school performed at a "performance evaluation" - not a competition per se, but choruses and bands from different schools are evaluated on their performance, and her group scored 'Superior' in both band and chorus ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 06-07-2010).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online