SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#288568 - 06/06/10 09:08 PM Re: How Much Does Gear WEIGHT Matter?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
"Mo, I am not trying to convince anyone to use the top heavy gear, but to show a perspective that maybe we aren't looking at...."

As I said above... ..I understand...heck even a padded bag for your E-60 adds too much weight..

I guess for some of us that haven't arrived to the same degree of physical elements (but getting closer)...weight becomes an issue......maybe Russ will hire out his crew..

#288569 - 06/06/10 09:19 PM Re: How Much Does Gear WEIGHT Matter?
Fran Carango Offline

Mo , you mentioned technique...and I thought about this the other day...

While I play the Crab Trap (a small stage), and a big crowd to work your way to the stage....I use the Prelude and a BA330 (Roland stuff)...because they are light and a small footprint..

What I noticed....I use more effort (because of the size/weight)...carrying in the gear by hand from the van to the stage....In other venues where I use the G70 and Roland Cubes...I use the "smart" way...the Rock N Roller....So maybe technique does matter...

#288570 - 06/06/10 09:30 PM Re: How Much Does Gear WEIGHT Matter?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
There's no 'arranger police' here, Mo. But on a thread entitled 'How Much Does Gear WEIGHT Matter?', you are going to get people of all opinions here. And, just as some of them see little point in carrying extra weight for what little perceived improvement in sound (nice to see a Yamaha demonstrator basically say there's no POINT to owning a T3!), there are others that that improvement in sound, as little as YOU think it makes a difference, is their most important consideration.

But, thing is, most players that eschew the heavier arrangers also lug speakers around that weigh a lot MORE. Seems, when it comes down to it, those 45 lbs.+ weights somehow ARE liftable...

Seems like they are willing to tweak their backs for a speaker, but not for a better arranger... Strange choice, IMO

But if you are willing to make it, fine by me!

#288571 - 06/06/10 10:04 PM Re: How Much Does Gear WEIGHT Matter?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
Diki and Fran:
your condescension is becoming unbearable.
outtahere. no more weight discussions for me.

------------------
Miami Mo

#288572 - 06/07/10 01:27 AM Re: How Much Does Gear WEIGHT Matter?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:
Diki and Fran:
your condescension is becoming unbearable.
outtahere. no more weight discussions for me.

This happens far too often, Mo.

The desperate need to be right brings out the worst in these two.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 06-07-2010).]

#288573 - 06/07/10 04:12 AM Re: How Much Does Gear WEIGHT Matter?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
The desperate need to be right brings out the worst in these two.

Well obviously there are no mirrors up in Cape Breton .

The thing is, if someone posts an opinion that doesn't jibe with yours, you can always choose not to board that southbound bus. After all, their opinion is as valid for them as yours is for you. It's only when they (or you) try to imply that the other person must be some kind of idiot if they don't or won't subscribe to your point of view, that the thread starts going downhill.

So yes, Ian, you're right. There is a strong need among some members to always be right. A sense that they are just a little bit brighter; that they somehow have a clearer picture of the world. Well, in some cases they are/do, but any intellectual advantage they may have is offset by not knowing when to 'reign it in' a bit. This can be very off-putting to some members, who will either 1. react (over-react, maybe?) or 2. quit posting altogether. I suspect that this is the reason that many long-time members have either stopped posting altogether or their posts have become more and more infrequent.

I think it's okay to 'make your case'. I think it's NOT okay to insist that everyone acknowledge that your 'truth' is the only truth. JMO.

chas

PS: Don't respond unless the shoe fits .

#288574 - 06/07/10 05:28 AM Re: How Much Does Gear WEIGHT Matter?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Well obviously there are no mirrors up in Cape Breton .

So yes, Ian, you're right. There is a strong need among some members to always be right. A sense that they are just a little bit brighter; that they somehow have a clearer picture of the world. Well, in some cases they are/do, but any intellectual advantage they may have is offset by not knowing when to 'reign it in' a bit. This can be very off-putting to some members, who will either 1. react (over-react, maybe?) or 2. quit posting altogether. I suspect that this is the reason that many long-time members have either stopped posting altogether or their posts have become more and more infrequent.

I think it's okay to 'make your case'. I think it's NOT okay to insist that everyone acknowledge that your 'truth' is the only truth. JMO.

Yes, Chas...I can be rather aggressive at times, but usually it's a response to someone who has been downright flippant and disrespectful...and, if they/we/I continue with the behavior, you have the recipe for...

1. People no longer posting

2. People being banned.

3. Threads needing to be edited or blocked.

Of course, there can't be a mirror or two where you are ...and, I know you were only being naughty when you sometimes worded a post or two rather provocatively...but it was all in fun wasn't it?

The thing is, there are one or two here, whose idea of fun is to deliberately try and make other people look like they are blithering idiots if they don't play a particular style of music, or they use a certain kind of arranger...or even because they play an arranger in the first place.

We all have our particular posting style, and some admire the way some people express themselves (usually those who wish they could post that way)...and, a little clique, so to speak, develops, and then the one who is admired, decides to show off a bit, figuring they always have their fans to back them up, even sucking up to them to be sure they are still with them...sometimes this is pathetically obvious, especially to those of us who have been here for some time.

Then there is the blatant misquoting, and also the refusal to acknowledge the other person has a view...or even a brain, for that matter.

I can understand Mo's chagrin, and I just wanted him to know, that he's not the only one who feels that way, and that he isn't being overly sensitive...sometimes people really are rude and aggressive.

Ian

#288575 - 06/07/10 06:03 AM Re: How Much Does Gear WEIGHT Matter?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Of course, there can't be a mirror or two where you are ...

Of course not, and even if there were, I'm not going to look in them .

Here's the problem, Ian. Plain and simple.
WE'RE OLD. OLD, DAMMIT, OLD.
Do you know what that means?
It means that our brains are slowly turning to mush; it means that every joint in our body is stiff......except the one that counts ; it means that our opinions, views, philosophies, ideologies, etc., are set in stone, and no amount of logic or common sense is going to change ANYTHING (married men will be able to relate to that). Our skills diminish and so we need to play something that's easier. We find it impossible to appreciate, let alone play, the 'new music' (Diki's lament) and the old stuff just sounds better and better. Gary (Travln' easy) often says 'gettin' old ain't for wimps' and he's right. It also takes it's toll on civility and open-mindedness, as well. One old guy, when asked the secret of his long marriage, responded, "I don't talk, and I don't listen". Looks like most of us have mastered the second part pretty well, now it's time to start working on the first part.

chas

#288576 - 06/07/10 06:04 AM Re: How Much Does Gear WEIGHT Matter?
Fran Carango Offline

Sorry, but you guys just read too much into post.....

Every post of mine in this thread, has been my experience or endeavor...I even stated, several times, I was/am not trying to persuade anyone into my line of thoughts or to agree with my experiences...

I have, mentioned some things in comical ways, and have kept my comments "light hearted".....yet I thought I made mention, some very good points...

In the end..just do what you or I want.....If I want to haul a heavier keyboard in a heavier case (on a R and R)...and someone else wants to carry an unprotected 28 pound keyboard on it's end (via hand truck).......so what...maybe I like to maintain my gear (and have a better resale value)..

Mo, yes I think you over react on other views , when stated..and many times misunderstand the purpose of a post...

Be happy and play (carry) what ever you want...

#288577 - 06/07/10 06:13 AM Re: How Much Does Gear WEIGHT Matter?
ianmcnll Offline

Well said Chas...and in spite of my tenency sometimes, to see my way as the only way, you make good points.

Speaking of looking in the mirror, it reminds me of this poem someone read at one of my first AA meetings...I have it here on my desk...I thought I'd share it, in case someone hasn't read it.

It goes...

The Man In The Glass ~ Anonymous

When you get what you want in your struggle for self
And the world makes you king for a day,
Just go to the mirror and look at yourself
And see what that man has to say.

For it isn’t your father or mother or wife
Whose judgment upon you must pass.
The fellow whose verdict counts most in you life
Is the one staring back from the glass.

You may be like Jack Horner and chisel a plum
And think you’re a wonderful guy.
But the man in the glass says you’re only a bum
If you can’t look him straight in the eye.

He’s the fellow to please-never mind all the rest,
For he’s with you clear to the end.
And you’ve passed your most dangerous, difficult test
If the man in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass.
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you’ve cheated the man in the glass.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online