SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#288491 - 06/09/10 04:28 PM Re: Yamaha NP-V80 - 76 key arranger! (almost)
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Yes it is interesting to see Yamaha have NO demos of this instrument.

Speaks volumes for what they think of the sound and the styles on-board

Dennis

Even Peter didn't play it! As good as he is, he could make it sound like a CVP 509.

BTW - I like the fact that they put an arpeggiator on it - and did you notice the USB port is right up front, not on the back?

On the downside, its voice set is pretty stingy - even worse than the E 423 voice set.

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#288492 - 06/09/10 04:36 PM Re: Yamaha NP-V80 - 76 key arranger! (almost)
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Yes it is interesting to see Yamaha have NO demos of this instrument.

Speaks volumes for what they think of the sound and the styles on-board

Dennis

You're so naughty, Dennis.

Lionstracs and Ketron would love to have the sales numbers this little baby will generate.

I think it will sound quite a bit like the entry level PSR-E-series, with the piano sound, Live!Grand, being from the S-series.

Price of 500 Euros...not bad at all.

Those instruments may well have been prototypes...there should be some "official" demos up in the near future, for those of you waiting with bated breath.

It will make you 76-note Mediastation owners very envious.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 06-09-2010).]

#288493 - 06/09/10 05:24 PM Re: Yamaha NP-V80 - 76 key arranger! (almost)
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
You're so naughty, Dennis.

Lionstracs and Ketron would love to have the sales numbers this little baby will generate.

I think it will sound quite a bit like the entry level PSR-E-series, with the piano sound, Live!Grand, being from the S-series.

Price of 500 Euros...not bad at all.

Those instruments may well have been prototypes...there should be some "official" demos up in the near future, for those of you waiting with bated breath.

It will make you 76-note Mediastation owners very envious.
Ian

LOL!!! Yes aren't I though

Seriously, I do cede to your knowledge about how it will sound...Its probably where I would have guessed its entry point was.

As to being envious, we'll be looking a LONG way down the hill behind us at this little offering from Yammie

It's just Yamaha usually are right on top of new releases, with not just the interviews, but demos as well....

Not that I would have bought one, but it still would have been interesting to hear how they get around the 32 poly..and to hear how they have implemented the arps.

Cheers,
Dennis

#288494 - 06/09/10 05:42 PM Re: Yamaha NP-V80 - 76 key arranger! (almost)
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
It's just Yamaha usually are right on top of new releases, with not just the interviews, but demos as well....

Actually, I hadn't heard of it till this thread was started, and I usually get a bit of notice, especially when it's a product I'll be working with, alongside the regular arrangers.

I'm rather surprised at the 32 note poly as well...once you start layering sounds, that sometimes can be a problem.

If it's anything like the PSR-E423/E423, it will be a pretty cool instrument...they sound very good, especially for the money, and the poly was 32 and didn't seem to affect playability.

My girlfriend has an NP-30, and the 32 note poly hasn't been a problem, and she is an experienced player.

I hope we see and hear some demos soon.

Ian

#288495 - 06/09/10 06:37 PM Re: Yamaha NP-V80 - 76 key arranger! (almost)
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Actually, I hadn't heard of it till this thread was started, and I usually get a bit of notice, especially when it's a product I'll be working with, alongside the regular arrangers.

I'm rather surprised at the 32 note poly as well...once you start layering sounds, that sometimes can be a problem.

If it's anything like the PSR-E423/E423, it will be a pretty cool instrument...they sound very good, especially for the money, and the poly was 32 and didn't seem to affect playability.

My girlfriend has an NP-30, and the 32 note poly hasn't been a problem, and she is an experienced player.

I hope we see and hear some demos soon.

Ian

Cool! Thats good to know Ian. I did try the NP-30 on one of my trips to the "big-smoke", and to be honest, for the price point, it is a remarkable little keyboard, and I was sroely tempted to grab one, just as a spare axe for those slightly smaller gigs where its just piano playing-no vocals no lights, no laptop...You know what I mean!!

I still might, BUT if this little baby has the same main piano sound as the NP30 (which as I said in my view, was not too shabby at all ) I might wait for it instead...

Especially as early indications have it at a price-point of about a grand (our money..the pacific peso!!)

Dennis

#288496 - 06/09/10 09:15 PM Re: Yamaha NP-V80 - 76 key arranger! (almost)
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
I still might, BUT if this little baby has the same main piano sound as the NP30 (which as I said in my view, was not too shabby at all ) I might wait for it instead...

Especially as early indications have it at a price-point of about a grand (our money..the pacific peso!!)

Dennis

I'm pretty sure they'd be the same, if not better...plus, like the NP-30, the NP-V80 has dedicated MIDI ports, plus the latter has a pitch bend wheel.

Ian

#288497 - 06/09/10 09:53 PM Re: Yamaha NP-V80 - 76 key arranger! (almost)
miden Offline

Terrific, thanks again Ian.
I will certainly keep an eye out for its arrival in Oz.

Dennis

#288498 - 06/10/10 02:22 AM Re: Yamaha NP-V80 - 76 key arranger! (almost)
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Going to be tough to have it play piano AND be an arranger with just 32 notes poly. One usually thinks of 32 poly being a minimum for JUST the piano sound. Now subtract at LEAST 16 voices fro the arranger section, it could get ugly...

What I want to know is, why are we cutting this any slack? Because it has Yamaha on the logo?

All of us would rightfully laugh a 32 note arranger out of the room were it by any other manufacturer. I know for a FACT that, were Roland so stupid as to do this (they aren't, their budget arranger has 64 voices), Ian would be the FIRST to make a jibe about it

Not so funny any more, is it? This is simply one more example of Yamaha short-changing their customers. Want a 76? Too bad, sucka! All we got are sh*tty ones!

#288499 - 06/10/10 07:03 AM Re: Yamaha NP-V80 - 76 key arranger! (almost)
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Going to be tough to have it play piano AND be an arranger with just 32 notes poly.

So, I take it that you're not getting two of them to replace your G-70's?

I think the NP-V80 piano based arranger will do very well for it's intended market, which, is obviously, the entry level player.

If it doesn't, you can be the first person to tell Yamaha how, and why, it failed.

Get back to us in a year or so with your report.

Ian

#288500 - 06/10/10 03:15 PM Re: Yamaha NP-V80 - 76 key arranger! (almost)
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Like the 9000pro...?

You think Yamaha learned anything from that? Other than to blame the number of keys for a failure that was squarely on the shoulders of an underpowered CPU and poor OS?

Sadly, if the 9000pro had actually lived up to its' billing, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion. Yamaha THOUGHT there was a market for a pro (they even used the word, although it had a One Finger system, too, Ian... are you wrong or were Yamaha? ) 76, but once again, ballsed it up...

The market is there. Just not Yamaha's heart. Seems they are unable to rise above even ONE failure.

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online