SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#288405 - 05/31/10 09:40 AM Re: Head count
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
well i was going to say E60 but of course it has speakers, no mic input, no harmonizer,
no drawbars, and doesn't give you a hernia
picking it up, so i guess that it's pretty close to a G70 in every other way doesn't count in the tally..

from which we can definitely ascertain by the highest number count exactly what ?

"More doctors smoke Camels than any other cigarette" were ads from the 1940's-50's.

get the picture?

------------------
Miami Mo

#288406 - 05/31/10 10:58 AM Re: Head count
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
And you wonder why I poked fun at a stupid question?

Look at the responses...

There's only one fact you can draw from all this data Nobody thinks the results (I use the term loosely) have any validity. Unless, of course, you shape the question so that the result you WANT is the result you get.

That's not 'taking a poll'. That's 'self-justification'

I still think hat size is a far more relevant question!

#288407 - 05/31/10 11:13 AM Re: Head count
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
What was the stupid question?

I furnished a list of the top models and asked for a head count of the users...thinking it would show a cross index of sales pertaining to the models mentioned....If you don't own one of the "top models" listed..it requires no comment....If you didn't want it known that you use one of the top models listed...same response...don't comment...

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 05-31-2010).]

#288408 - 05/31/10 11:33 AM Re: Head count
Diki Offline

Well, Fran, you want to do a head count as an indicator of sales, why not stick to arrangers that are actually in production? You can't rule out other models like the Technics, or older Korg's, Yamaha's etc unless you rule out your OWN arranger. The E80 and G70 were VERY different (at least as different as the T2 and T3), and the E80 was two years newer than the G70, so, once again, by your own rules, you rule out the G70..

There's absolutely NO WAY that what we use here on SZ has any correlation to sales figures in the real world. You were in retail, for Pete's sake! You know this better than most of us! I mean, look at the number here with G70's, and its' abject failure in the real world...

The only thing you could possibly say about your 'head count' is that, amongst fanatical bloggers of arrangers in the English language that own current TOTL arrangers (and G70's) and post at SZ's General Arranger Forum, G70's are more popular than you might think! We certainly don't represent the vast majority of arranger users here, so how could ANY kind of internal poll provide any relevant data other than to the tiny cross section we are?

Mark Twain had it nailed... There are three kinds of lies. Lies, damn lies, and statistics

And those that frame the question in the first place get to shape the resultant lies...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 05-31-2010).]

#288409 - 05/31/10 11:45 AM Re: Head count
Fran Carango Offline

Diki, you already know that the "G series" has been designed for and sold (with the brief exception of the G70) in the MI stores..
The "E series have been designed and sold through the Home piano stores...

Both the G70 and E80 are the current/ latest offerings with in the two divisions...The E80 did not replace the G70...and actually the E80 was stopped production wise before the G70 in the USA market..

#288410 - 05/31/10 11:53 AM Re: Head count
Fran Carango Offline

Here is the final count for me, and gave me the comparison results to base an opinion..

Roland 7

Yamaha 6

Korg 4

Ketron 2

Technics 2

#288411 - 05/31/10 12:05 PM Re: Head count
Diki Offline

I bet you could split that hair even more if you REALLY tried, Fran

ALL TOTL Roland arrangers were sold through the CK division until a few months before the G70's discontinuation, and they only moved it over to try to dump the old stock.

Roland make NO differentiation between the lines on their website. I'm sorry, but try all you want, there is simply no getting over that the E80 WAS a different, newer TOTL arranger than the G70, and by your own rules (you are simply trying to move the bar after the race has started), is not eligible for inclusion.

Unless, of course, by framing the question, you are actually TRYING to get the answer you want... You wouldn't be doing that, would you?

So, let's see, does that mean that Technics are now eligible? Being a discontinued TOTL arranger from several years ago?

As an ex-retailer, you know perfectly well that you can say almost ANYTHING as long as you leave out a lot of the details (look at the fine print under any TV ad), to make a point that is patently false. But what is even more obvious is, rather than simply asking for a head count on ALL arrangers, you have deliberately tried to shape the question, and once that didn't bring the result you wanted, are now trying to CHANGE the question... Just a little TOO desperate, IMO..!

Look, I love the G70 as much as you do (possibly more, as I don't constantly try other things to replace it ), but I don't need to run a fixed poll to justify it, nor ask questions that change when I don't get the answer I want... There's only ONE thing that can be derived from a poll at this forum - and that is WHAT WE ACTUALLY USE. No possible extrapolation can be made from it.

Might as well simply get a 'head count' from us ALL, and then try to fudge the results afterward!

So, here's mine... G70. Hat size Medium. Shoe size 8 1/2. Waist 32". Height 5'4". Weight... more than a G70!

#288412 - 05/31/10 12:14 PM Re: Head count
Fran Carango Offline

You just read to much into simple post..

Nigel, I think this post has runned it's course....It has shown me that the top manufacturers are on the same page ..sales wise....less the hype...

Please close the thread..and we will discuss another topic..

#288413 - 05/31/10 12:17 PM Re: Head count
Fran Carango Offline

Chas, can you share your email address with me...so I can have a sensible conversation ..once in a while...

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online