SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#283 - 06/30/05 05:43 AM making the volume of different songs on a CD equal
to the genesys Offline

Does any one know how I could make all the tracts on a CD have the same volume level?

I recorded several songs in sound forge 7 and for what ever reason I got some of the songs louder than others.

I have CD architect 5.0.
Thanks

#284 - 06/30/05 06:51 AM Re: making the volume of different songs on a CD equal
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi TTG,

The first question is; did you normalize these files in Sound Forge before opening them in CD Architect to burn the CD?

IF not, I suggest you use the Normalize utility in Sound Forge (in the toolbar under Process) to even out the volume of each track. Hopefully you have the manual for this program and can read up on the differences in normalizing using Peak Level or Average RMS Level. The content of the music will determine which method is best. A big difference between these two methods is this;

Peak Level will raise the amplitude evenly across the audio file until the loudest point reaches the peak level. In essence this will make the track as loud as possible without allowing the audio to go into overdrive. No compression is used in this method so the amplitude dynamics are not affected.

Average RMS Level offers greater control by allowing the user to add compression to the audio file while boosting the overall amplitude of the file. This will help maintain a more even volume throughout the track and if compression is used properly it should not have a negative impact on the music.

Both methods are viable, it just depends on the audio content. In fact you may end up using both methods on the same track.

Sorry for the extremely brief explanation on this but I have to get back to my real duties.

BTW: When recording Stereo Wave Files on your Genesys, it is advisable to use the Normalize function found under the Edit button within the Song Player/Recording Studio section for the very same reasons as above.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#285 - 06/30/05 07:09 AM Re: making the volume of different songs on a CD equal
to the genesys Offline

Thanks WDMCM

When I do that, would that even out the volume of each track on the CD so that one song is not louder than the other.

#286 - 06/30/05 07:14 AM Re: making the volume of different songs on a CD equal
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
Thanks WDMCM

When I do that, would that even out the volume of each track on the CD so that one song is not louder than the other.

Hi,

As long as you use the same parameter values on each file during the normalize process. That is kind of the point of normalizing, to make each file equal in volume (or at least a perceived equal volume via proper compression).

Good luck,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#287 - 06/30/05 06:24 PM Re: making the volume of different songs on a CD equal
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
If normalizing the tracks as they are still doesn't even out the volumes you may find that you have some tracks with more dynamic range ( ie they already have some signal that is close to max ) than others preventing them from being able to be normalized much. If this is the case you should run a compression plugin on those to reduce the range and then normalize.

#288 - 06/30/05 07:01 PM Re: making the volume of different songs on a CD equal
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
If normalizing the tracks as they are still doesn't even out the volumes you may find that you have some tracks with more dynamic range ( ie they already have some signal that is close to max ) than others preventing them from being able to be normalized much. If this is the case you should run a compression plugin on those to reduce the range and then normalize.

Hi Nigel,

Good point. This of course requires that he still has access to the individual tracks of each song in question. If he has already mixed down and deleted the original track data, then he is, how do you say, SOOL.

Then again, with Sound Forge, he could locate the offending peaks and selectively compress those areas slightly and then normalize. Wouldn't necessarily be fun to do, but it could solve the problem.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 06-30-2005).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online