SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#287908 - 05/29/10 06:44 AM Re: Modulations...
bomba6 Offline

Loc: Israel
Quote:
Originally posted by bruno123:

Or simply use the repeat ending that brings you back to the top,
Transposed to the key you are going to. (In this case G Major)

What is the repeat ending you are refering to?

And also... I noticed that the Ending buttons on my PSR-3000 are labeled "ending/rit.". What does "rit." means?

Thanks!

#287909 - 05/29/10 06:52 AM Re: Modulations...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by bomba6:
What is the repeat ending you are refering to?

And also... I noticed that the Ending buttons on my PSR-3000 are labeled "ending/rit.". What does "rit." means?

Thanks!

Press one of the ENDING/rit. [I]–[III] buttons during Style playback. You can have the ending gradually slow down
(ritardando) by pressing the same ENDING/rit. button again while the ending is playing back.

#287910 - 05/29/10 08:31 AM Re: Modulations...
bomba6 Offline

Loc: Israel
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Press one of the ENDING/rit. [I]–[III] buttons during Style playback. You can have the ending gradually slow down
(ritardando) by pressing the same ENDING/rit. button again while the ending is playing back.

Hmmm... I'm familier with this option, and even use it quite often. I've discovered it few years ago when playing with my PSR-630.
Nice to know eventually what it means. Thanks!

#287911 - 05/29/10 09:07 AM Re: Modulations...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just curious, but do those of you that use the transpose button for half or whole step modulations tend to play the modulation, then hit transpose at the start of the new section, or do you hit the transpose a bar before to catch the turnaround? I would imagine timing is fairly critical doing that...

#287912 - 05/29/10 09:34 AM Re: Modulations...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Just curious, but do those of you that use the transpose button for half or whole step modulations tend to play the modulation, then hit transpose at the start of the new section, or do you hit the transpose a bar before to catch the turnaround? I would imagine timing is fairly critical doing that...

Funny, I was wondering the same thing.

chas

#287913 - 05/31/10 11:05 PM Re: Modulations...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Weirdly, I get to answer my own question (in a way)!

I am in a band, and the bass player/singer has decided to do a weird version of Mack the Knife where he modulates up EVERY SINGLE VERSE for about six verses or more (if you count solos)! Crazy, I know, but that's what he wants to do...

Even though it's real band, the procedure and timing is the same. I hit the transpose a bar BEFORE the new verse, play a ii-V in the old key, but it comes out as the lead to the new key. Works pretty well, but if he goes crazy and does more than five key changes, I have to eventually modulate (my G70 will only go up 5 half steps).

If he keeps doing more than that on a regular basis, I might start to transpose DOWN a few steps before we start, and play in a higher key, and that will give me more steps before I run out of keys!

It's not something I usually do, but it stops this one getting completely crazy. Doesn't help with things like Down in Brazil, by Michael Franks, which is basically a cycle of ii-V's through the entire twelve keys, though!

#287914 - 06/01/10 03:36 AM Re: Modulations...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Strange. My C1 will do +6/-6, Fantom G7 will do +6/-5, and the Korg PA1x pro will do +11/-11, Tyros 2 will do +12/-12.

Conclusion, get a Yammy .

chas

#287915 - 06/01/10 04:14 AM Re: Modulations...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

I have a couple of these..+/- five octave range..
Now that's a transpose..

#287916 - 06/01/10 11:31 AM Re: Modulations...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Weirdly, I get to answer my own question (in a way)!

I am in a band, and the bass player/singer has decided to do a weird version of Mack the Knife where he modulates up EVERY SINGLE VERSE for about six verses or more (if you count solos)! Crazy, I know, but that's what he wants to do...

Isn't that the 'standard' version? .. like by Bobby Darin? ... I do the first 2 verses in 'G' then modulate on each following verse .. I stay on 'Bb' for a solo and repeat the last verse so that I end in the key of C... but I am actually PLAYING the key changes, ... If I want the 'full blown Darin version I use a midi file and play piano over the top ... still playing all the key changes ...
I think not using the modulations makes the song very bland ...

t.

#287917 - 06/01/10 12:28 PM Re: Modulations...
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
The band leader that I played with for 20 years until his death used to write a lot of medleys and I would have to modulate between the various songs in the medley. One of the modulations he used to use he called the "We want Cantor" modulation. I guess it had something to do with Eddie Cantor. I'm too young to remember him but it was a four bar modulation. It went like this way in the key of C:

Old key - C
C Am Dm G7
New Key - F (no chuckles here)
F Dm Gm7 C7

On this modulation I would sometimes substitute a Eb9 for the Am.

Tom

Tom

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online