SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#287428 - 05/12/10 12:15 PM Why do you play...?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
The reasons aren't always as obvious as you'd think.

For me, the playing income is now secondary to the contacts for my day business...communications projects/management (packaging, films, brochures, displays, research, etc.) 1/2 my playing work is for existing clients (corporate parties, receptions, etc.). The other half is "fishing". I play upscale restaurants where I meet corporate, university and government officials, as well as business owners and others, who are possible future clients. Clients seem to be impressed by live performance more than visiting a studio or watching a demo reel. A big chunk of my on-going day business was secured from a performance connection.

I don't enjoy OMB work as much as group work, but the OMB stuff produces work for my company. In a perfect world, for fun and profit, I'd play 5 nights a week with my jazz trio, but, sadly, that's not gonna happen.

Years ago, my motivation was to get drunk and laid. Too old (and maybe smart) for that now (sigh).

What about you?

Russ (former out of control musician-now, middle class American) Lay

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 05-12-2010).]

#287429 - 05/12/10 12:24 PM Re: Why do you play...?
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Mine is still as yours was years ago minues the Drunk part...and i dont know why else but
i know for a fact it is not Money Driven nor anything material...its just love.

#287430 - 05/12/10 12:39 PM Re: Why do you play...?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
To feed my EGO ... the HAM in me will not let me stop ...

Seriously, I have come to the realization that God gave me a talent - at whatever level it may be - to share with others and hopefully bring a few moments of joy to them ...
The MONEY ?!? ... I have always said I get PAID to cart my gear in and set it up, and to break it down and cart it out ... the PLAYING I do for FREE !!!
t.

#287431 - 05/12/10 12:56 PM Re: Why do you play...?
Dnj Offline

...........because I could have a
"REAL Job"....YUK !

Everyday when I'm riding to work I'm going to a party of some sort....I chose this life and I'm proud of it!
We all make choices in life.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-12-2010).]

#287432 - 05/12/10 01:15 PM Re: Why do you play...?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Here in Florida I have met many musicians who have come to the end of their career, many love it so much that are more then willing to play without pay.

For me it has been for the love of music, for the rewards I get being out front entertaining. Everything else in the work area seems to come in second.

I can remember being in Captain Russ position, it’s not that most everything was turning great dollars -- More like I was wanted and I gave it my all.

IMHO, John C.

#287433 - 05/12/10 02:29 PM Re: Why do you play...?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Great question. The main reason I started to focus on playing at Church was to give any talents I have back in my life. When playing in Church , people always love it. Doesn't matter if I playing the Baldwin piano or keyboard. But what I really play for is the tremendous emotion that comes with playing Christian music.
Music is such a strong link to God. If you don't believe that there is a God or an afterlife where our spirit lives in the hearts of the people you have touched, than that statement may not make sense.

I enjoy music, but praise and worship music takes me to a different and much deeper emotional place.I can touch lives and know that I am giving something back.

This is why I play.

Peace

#287434 - 05/12/10 02:31 PM Re: Why do you play...?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
BTW.. Chantilly Lace is playing on the musak at work. I lipped sinked that song in the 6th grade talent show. It makes me smile everytime I hear that song !

#287435 - 05/12/10 02:33 PM Re: Why do you play...?
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Are you kidding? I have the best job in the world. I'm not getting rich, but I love every minute of it, and I'm getting paid--that's a Hell of a combination.

Unlike Russ, I no longer enjoy playing in a group--been there, done that, got the Tee Shirt. It was fun, but I have a lot more fun using MY creativity and not having to worry whether the other guys like the song, or if they'll even show up for the performance on time. For ME, the OMB scenario is the top of the heap. It doesn't get any better than this.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#287436 - 05/12/10 02:52 PM Re: Why do you play...?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Do something you love for a living, you never WORK a day in your life!

You know how priests get a 'calling', nurses and doctors get a 'calling'? That's how it is for music for me. I am 'called' to play, always was, hopefully always will be...

#287437 - 05/12/10 03:38 PM Re: Why do you play...?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
This is simple to answer ... I love to play ... I love to entertain. If I can make some money as well then that is great but it is not my motivation.

Though if I was living off my musical income then making money would certainly be added to my other two answers .... musicians have to eat too I simply make the money I need to live on elsewhere.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online