SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#287096 - 05/07/10 11:45 AM Trigger finger (or thumb) experiences
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I have developed a case of trigger thumb on my LH, my doctor tells me. At the moment, we are attempting to treat it by splinting the thumb and using anti-inflammatories. Naturally, in the splint it is very difficult to play, but there's quite a bit of pain if I take it off, and the thumb locks over in the curled up position (I have to straighten it out with the other hand!) if I whack it playing lines (ouch!).

Are there any other members out there that have gone through this issue, and perhaps have some treatment suggestions or advice for me?

Thank you...

#287097 - 05/07/10 11:58 AM Re: Trigger finger (or thumb) experiences
Bachus Offline

I have had the same...

An injection with corticosteroïden helped me a lot and removed the injury quickly..

Using the brace will take a longer time to heal it in the naturall way, its a bit more safe, because with the injection there is a small chance the corticosteroïden will damage the tendon...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#287098 - 05/07/10 12:27 PM Re: Trigger finger (or thumb) experiences
Dnj Offline

Diki hope you recover quickly.

maybe this info can help also...
http://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/guide/trigger-finger
http://tinyurl.com/23ncqwe

#287099 - 05/07/10 12:38 PM Re: Trigger finger (or thumb) experiences
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Diki... wishing you speedy recovery...
With your 'trigger finger', Gary's hand problem, my having to stop piano lessons due to tendonitis in my forearm, etc., etc., to paraphrase Gary - "being a musician ain't for wimps' ! ...
How many of us don't have arthritis in our fingers/hands?
t.

#287100 - 05/07/10 12:50 PM Re: Trigger finger (or thumb) experiences
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Diki... wishing you speedy recovery...
With your 'trigger finger', Gary's hand problem, my having to stop piano lessons due to tendonitis in my forearm, etc., etc., to paraphrase Gary - "being a musician ain't for wimps' ! ...
How many of us don't have arthritis in our fingers/hands?
t.

This is why alternative playing measures should be taken when the problems arise, don't be a one trick pony....
the "Show MUST Go On"

#287101 - 05/07/10 01:35 PM Re: Trigger finger (or thumb) experiences
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
That sounds like a nightmare for a keyboard player. I'd be inclined to listen to Bachus and leave the steroids as a last resort (to avoid any possibility of permanent damage). Tony is right. My orthopedist maintains that with arthritis, it's not a matter of IF, it's a matter of WHEN (and where). Except for my knees, shoulders, elbows, back, neck, knuckles, wrists, fingers, ankles, and toes, I'm fine, so far . I try to be positive about it, so I blame every 'clunker' on the arthritis.......unless there's a pretty girl watching; then I claim I was distracted by her dazzling beauty. Hasn't worked so far, but I keep hoping .

Diki, make sure your priorities are straight. Take that money you were saving up for the MS/Groove and spend it on the best doctor you can find.

Seriously, my friend, get well soon.

chas

#287102 - 05/07/10 01:46 PM Re: Trigger finger (or thumb) experiences
leezone Offline

Diki,

no more playing in a full band
i think it's time you get an arranger (ie. AUDYA)
this way your LF does not have to do so much work & move so much...
wait, the AUDYA is too heavy
and so is the G-70 which you have too

seriously, hope you get better soon, and fully recover

[This message has been edited by leezone (edited 05-07-2010).]

#287103 - 05/07/10 02:04 PM Re: Trigger finger (or thumb) experiences
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Diki,

Sorry to hear of your malady. The last thing a keyboard player needs is hand problems--I should know. The only thing I know that works for trigger finger is a regiment of steroids, usually Prednisone, which can have some nasty side effects, plus splinting, which allows the tendon to heal naturally. The combination usually takes a month or more to work, but the bottom line is trigger finger is essentially a warning that you may have to lighten your left hand playing technique. It's usually the result of tendon inflammation due to some sort of repetitive process.

Good luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#287104 - 05/07/10 02:06 PM Re: Trigger finger (or thumb) experiences
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Diki,

Sorry to hear of your malady. The last thing a keyboard player needs is hand problems--I should know. The only thing I know that works for trigger finger is a regiment of steroids, usually Prednisone, which can have some nasty side effects, plus splinting, which allows the tendon to heal naturally. The combination usually takes a month or more to work, but the bottom line is trigger finger is essentially a warning that you may have to lighten your left hand playing technique. It's usually the result of tendon inflammation due to some sort of repetitive process.

Good luck,

Gary

gary....in that case maybe Diki will have to buy a YAMAHA S910 with it's ligtning fast & light keybed

#287105 - 05/07/10 02:39 PM Re: Trigger finger (or thumb) experiences
124 Offline

Sorry to hear that, Diki. Doing what the doc tells ya plus common sense will get you through.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online