SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#286948 - 05/03/10 07:32 AM Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
An outstanding player recently posted this on the PSR-Tutorial site. She recorded it using her PSR-900. My only response was WOW! http://www.box.net/shared/ldrvir6x1v

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#286949 - 05/03/10 08:43 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Dnj Offline

Fantstic !!

Gary Thanx for sharing, one of the classics!

#286950 - 05/03/10 09:46 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
OK, I have to admit I was expecting something like "Smoke on the Water"

It's always nice to discover a great old tune like this.

A bit of trivia regarding this song and the band: The British rock band Deep Purple got their name from Pete De Rose's hit after guitarist Ritchie Blackmore's grandmother repeatedly asked if they would be performing the song, her personal favourite.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#286951 - 05/03/10 02:05 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I like her musicality and interpretation. Faithful and well executed.

I'm going to take a guess the lady who played this has some background playing organ, right?

Again, I thought it was well done, but it could've been performed on any number of current era keyboards. Not sure if her using the psr900 made much difference.

Thanks for sharing, Gary!

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 05-03-2010).]

#286952 - 05/03/10 03:20 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
It is by far the best arrangement of this great standard that I've ever heard, especially on a keyboard.

#286953 - 05/04/10 01:07 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I get the feeling that she is using bass pedals.

John C.

#286954 - 05/04/10 02:38 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I get a feeling she sequenced the parts, not that it diminishes her work.

ps
John
I sent you two emails and never a reply did I get.

#286955 - 05/04/10 05:38 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:
I get a feeling she sequenced the parts, not that it diminishes her work.

What made you think it was sequenced? I never thought that, I assumed she was playing it in real time on the psr.

To me, it had the same kind of feel that a good organ player has. Some of the phrasing mostly.

Regardless, whether it was her arrangement or whatever, I thought the feeling and emotion that the piece/performance had was very good.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#286956 - 05/04/10 06:06 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
travlin'easy Offline

The song was recorded using the PSR-s900 using four tracks by a 68 year-old lady in West Virginia, USA. She posted the following:

"Originally composed as a piano composition by Peter DeRose, this version was arranged by Wasserman in 1940 His bio says he taught Gershwin how to play. I had played this in a recital when I was a teen & just found the music in my collection.

This will NOT sound like the pop version that is so familiar, but is considered a semi-classical- a theatrical sound. Hope you enjoy- There's 4 tracks- It sounded a little better to me than the "phantom"- still working on that one.

Judy"

#286957 - 05/04/10 06:16 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Tonewheeldude Offline

I was expecting some John Lord or Don Airey

Personally it doesn't do anything for me and I couldn't bring myself to listen to all of it, however, she is obviously very good at what she does.

To me this hilites why we get so animated about our favourite keyboards. Its because our musical tastes vary considerably.

#286958 - 05/04/10 06:41 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tonewheeldude:
Personally it doesn't do anything for me and I couldn't bring myself to listen to all of it,.

This is why people hardly post anything here on SZ....but hey, too each his own right? btw who is jon lord anyway?

#286959 - 05/04/10 07:11 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
This is why people hardly post anything here on SZ....but hey, too each his own right? btw who is jon lord anyway?

Never heard of Deep Purple?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILDxii_1H-g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YJIgyJFIo0&feature=related

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#286960 - 05/04/10 07:29 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
124 Offline

Very well played and, as Bill suggested, very organistic in it's approach. A useful technique sometimes when playing string section parts.

#286961 - 05/04/10 11:08 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Dnj Offline

Well he's certainly not on a calibur of
Tony Monaco thats for sure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU7Wkah_lQA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbwqs0yqIz0

#286962 - 05/04/10 11:23 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Tonewheeldude Offline

Quote:
Well he's certainly not on a calibur of
Tony Monaco thats for sure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU7Wkah_lQA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbwqs0yqIz0

LOL....thats like comparing Hendrix to Mason Williams.

#286963 - 05/04/10 01:32 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
travlin'easy Offline

What in the Hell is the matter with you people? YES, I SAID IT! I posted a link to a beautifully composed song and BANG! Everything starts turning to $hit, goes into left field and another thread is shot to Hell. I can't believe what I'm reading. I'm gonna' go mow the lawn, fix a margaretta and hope this is all gone when I come back later tonight.

Gary

#286964 - 05/04/10 01:44 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Bill in Dayton Offline

1) I still like it quite a bit but not quite as impressed as before given 4 tracks. From Gary's original post, I thought it was done live.

2) That said, I hope I'm able to comprehend what 4 tracks even are when I'm 68, much less come up with a nice sounding performance like she did. The final mix was to my ears, great.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#286965 - 05/04/10 02:15 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Tonewheeldude Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
What in the Hell is the matter with you people? YES, I SAID IT! I posted a link to a beautifully composed song and BANG! Everything starts turning to $hit, goes into left field and another thread is shot to Hell. I can't believe what I'm reading. I'm gonna' go mow the lawn, fix a margaretta and hope this is all gone when I come back later tonight.

Gary

Sorry if you thought I was attempting to hijack your thread, I was simply pointing out that 'Deep Purple' meant something different to me, and that the music this clever lady has produced speaks volumes about why we are all so different in our instrument choice.

#286966 - 05/04/10 02:36 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Here's an article that ties the two together (Deep Purple the band - Deep Purple the song):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Purple_(song)

The British rock band Deep Purple got their name from Pete De Rose's hit after guitarist Ritchie Blackmore's grandmother repeatedly asked if they would be performing the song, her personal favourite.

I really liked her arrangement. Yamaha strings sound great. I also agree with the folks that heard an 'organ' technique. I think that also shows on her other entries on PSR-Tutorials.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/song/mp3/index.html

Look for Judy Short in the Performer column.

-mike

#286967 - 05/04/10 06:22 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Judy Short has really captured the flavor of the song I've heard over and over thru the years The fact that she has created that on an s900 is impressive, lots of creativity. I would have never thought about trying to play this on the s900, let alone produce what she has.

I had a pretty decent command of this song at one time playing it as a piano solo, but as the years have gone by I haven't played it much and have lost it.

This song "Deep Purple" also reminds me of my late father. As a kid growing up in the late 50s early 60s I heard this on my dad's custom built Jensen speaker system via a Harmon-Kardon pre-amplifier/heath kit amp. He played it regularly, as I recall it might have been a version recorded by Jackie Gleason's orchestra ( ??) The tune always sent chills up and down my spine.

Later in life when in my early 20s when I met this lovely Chiquita. OH, did she love that tune and she played it as background music we were making a different kind of music.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 05-04-2010).]

#286968 - 05/04/10 06:27 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
travlin'easy Offline

Sorry that I exploded guys and gals. It has been a rough week, lots of things going wrong in my immediate family, several friends diagnosed with cancer. I really felt this was an incredible rendition of the song--that's why I posted the link. Nothing personal--just a bad week. I need some time away from both the computer and gigs, which doesn't come easy these days. Too damned many jobs and I'm not smart enough to say no to folks who want more from me.

The lawn is done, and when I get finished tomorrow's gig I'm going sailing for a couple days. There's a sign in the boat's cabin that says "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem!" See ya when I get back.

Cheers,

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 05-05-2010).]

#286969 - 05/05/10 12:08 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Never knew you were a Kenny Chesney fan, Gary!

Sorry about the family issues...

BTW, me, I thought the arrangement was very nice, but the strings (and the occasional slip and use of the sustain pedal on them) were not very convincing. It's VERY difficult to take piano pieces and play them as string pieces, because the voicings and techniques are so different. And the Yamaha string sound from the S900 just doesn't have enough range to work well. It's nice enough for a bed or a floater, but if you make them the ONLY sound you are playing, you need a bit more articulation to be convincing.

Thing is, Gary, you can't expect to post anything here and us NOT have an opinion about it! You've got one, after all Sorry we don't necessarily concur, but that what opinions are all about...

#286970 - 05/05/10 08:15 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
BTW, me, I thought the arrangement was very nice, but the strings (and the occasional slip and use of the sustain pedal on them) were not very convincing. It's VERY difficult to take piano pieces and play them as string pieces, because the voicings and techniques are so different. And the Yamaha string sound from the S900 just doesn't have enough range to work well. It's nice enough for a bed or a floater, but if you make them the ONLY sound you are playing, you need a bit more articulation to be convincing.

Thing is, Gary, you can't expect to post anything here and us NOT have an opinion about it! You've got one, after all Sorry we don't necessarily concur, but that what opinions are all about...

I agree. Nice enough arrangement but I think the things Diki pointed out absolutely apply. As with most of his posts, once you pull the arrow out of your scrotum and re-read what he actually says (instead of how he sometimes says it ), you'll find it to be pretty much spot on. I still smile every time I think of James humorous description of Diki as some kind of relentless Terminator. I only mention it because I'm sure that Diki found it amusing as well . Don't get me wrong, I'm not being mean. I'm probably his biggest fan and supporter on this board. I just sometimes have to laugh at his relentless pursuit of Truth and the eradication of BS (no matter how many lives it destroys in the process - that's a joke ). It's kind of like "Support mental health or I'll kill you".

About this song. I still play it occasionally but my version just sounds like the Richard 'Groove' Holmes version that he recorded on his Album, Groove. It's just classic funk/jazz organ from the 60's and would only appeal to fans of that genre' from that era. I'd post an example of it except for the previous sentence .

For the record, her (Judy?) arrangement of it would be a good candidate for very good VST strings, but I suspect, as Diki pointed out, it may still be just too mushy if done with just strings alone. Again, it's all subjective.

chas

#286971 - 05/05/10 08:50 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Dnj Offline

Chas who cares? can't we just Appreciate other musicians music?....who are WE to judge anything? It's insane what goes on here with critiques bno wonder no one wants to post or has left for that reason.

#286972 - 05/06/10 02:21 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Diki Offline

Me, I post something to listen to, I WANT opinions. If I wanted nothing but flattery, I would play it to my mother! (Rest her soul)

One way I have found of making string patches more realistic is to layer them... Take a nice semi-mushy string sound (like she has done), and take off some of the velocity sensitivity, so it doesn't vary too much as you play softer and louder (if you are using a volume pedal like she is, maybe take it off altogether), then layer a string quartet sound (just solo violin and cello, for instance if you don't have a quartet sample) and make the velocity sensitivity VERY high for that, then turn it down until it JUST pops out when you hit hard. Now, as you play smoothly, you get smooth strings, get frisky and a hair more definition comes in...

Works well with smooth strings and spiccato, too

Give it a try...

The whole purpose of criticism should really be positive... point out flaws, then figure out if they can be avoided. Don't just pretend they don't exist. Who gets better by doing that?!

#286973 - 05/06/10 03:01 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
mr9000 Offline

Quote:
[B]Me, I post something to listen to, I WANT opinions.
The whole purpose of criticism should really be positive... point out flaws, then figure out if they can be avoided.

As per usual, i sit here being Diki's yes man!Totally agree..oh..and will anyone ever be making a mediastation sound good?..sorry but my patience of 10years shows a little more every year.

#286974 - 05/06/10 04:22 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Pacesetter Offline

Hey Gang,

Did ya ever think maybe this 68 year old woman possibly old enough to be your grandmother, mother, maybe or older sister could give a rats tail what you guys think.? She's probably not even aware of this thread and just plays for her own enjoyment. If she were aspiring to be the next..............star then maybe it would matter. Strikes me many of you should apply for positions as music critics at your local newspaper or magazine.

BTW I bop in here every once in a while and I know why it's the same old schitck here. For you critics I'll keep my eyes opened for your name on the marquis in Vegas because you are obviously better than most here.

[This message has been edited by Pacesetter (edited 05-06-2010).]

#286975 - 05/06/10 04:53 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
mr9000 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacesetter:
[B]
I bop in here every once in a while and I know why it's the same old schitck here. For you critics I'll keep my eyes opened for your name on the marquis in Vegas because you are obviously better than most here. B]

Guess the 'schitick' ya are seeking involves eternally soft laced sheepened bottoms that are always in 100% agreeance with a ba baa here and a ba baa there...come on synthzone babes,put those baby tear wipes away..what are we in grade 2 with our readily swift responses of: "i'm offended and/or hurt".. please pull up yer skirts boys,it is a man's world..thankfully. If the schitick is not to your liking,by all means return to the other pretty pink keyboard sites of huggery and kisses. To me a good site is like a finger print that cannot be duplicated and run like another site..is that what some seek,duplicates and sited clones of repetition coping one another in monotoned unison? God gawd,show me such a site and i''ll show you my membershipLESS status!
NIGEL ROCKS and ain;t nutting you can do about this fantastically run site
tee hee!

[This message has been edited by mr9000 (edited 05-06-2010).]

#286976 - 05/06/10 04:58 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Pacesetter Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mr9000:
Guess the 'schitick' ya are seeking involves eternally soft laced sheepened bottoms that are always in 100% agreeance with a ba baa here and a ba baa there...come synth babes,put those baby wipes of tears away..what are we in grade 2 again with our readily swift "i'm offended and/or hurt"..pull up yer skirts boys,it is a man's world..thankfully. If the schitick is to your liking,by all means return to your other pretty pink synth sites of huggery and kisses.

Cute dude, why don't you post something Mr9000. I'm just a home player what I play is not worthy of posting, but since you are really a hot shot let's hear it.

Oh, I apologize, I found one of your youtube videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HfE238zOhY

[This message has been edited by Pacesetter (edited 05-06-2010).]

#286977 - 05/06/10 05:08 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
mr9000 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacesetter:
[B] Cute dude, why don't you post something Mr9000 since you are really a hot shot[/B

hmm now,seems it is the Hot shots usually telling moderators how to do their jobs more effectivly and other such schitick yawnisms...Not happy with the pace here at synthzone pace?you can move on and stay on the other sheep sites of baa by all means, if insultery and 'schitick' like mannerisms is what keeps you returning here?

#286978 - 05/06/10 05:12 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Dnj Offline

oh boy get the lock ready...
Gary more Green Margaritas please ....and I'll use a straw too

#286979 - 05/06/10 05:20 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
mr9000 Offline

Quote:
oh boy get the lock ready...
Gary more Green Margaritas please ....and I'll use a straw too

Naaw,i think the point has been made now..i know i'm done responding.
It just eats me when synthzone edicate is attacked/questioned. After all my visiting years on Synthzone, i know for certain this site is one of maturity and tolerance with a decent dose of testosterone(thankfully!).
It is one of the last v-er-y well run sites that are unbiased,which is the key i won't be forsaking it!..so don't be caught farting on one of my favorite sites you lurking sharks of put downs or i'll go
Jaws 5 on yer azz!..da dump.. da dumm..

[This message has been edited by mr9000 (edited 05-06-2010).]

#286980 - 05/06/10 05:41 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Bill in Dayton Offline

I think we're collectively commenting on the performance. No one has attacked this performer, in fact a few of us have complimented her.

To be frank, this selection was given the comment that "an outstanding player" performed. Now, I accepted it right away as just that, but then it was explained that it was a 4 track recording. I still like it, I still appreciate the styling and the feel she had, but I don't evaluate this the same way I would someone playing it live. A 4 track recording, IMO, doesn't really show off the playing ability in the way you'd want to hear it.

I stand by that comment and I don't think its mean, hurtful, etc. God Bless her for having the ability to do what she did with that song.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 05-06-2010).]

#286981 - 05/06/10 06:13 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Dnj Offline

I would say multi tracking a song adds considerable creativeness to the performers ability for sure versus just some automated style which in realty is a bunch of midi tracks in itself, these sequence, recording features are in the KB to be used......
she has done a fine job.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-06-2010).]

#286982 - 05/06/10 07:08 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
travlin'easy Offline

Damned, I'm glad I went sailing. It was pretty windy on Chesapeake Bay, but Hell, it's pretty windy here too. For the folks that had lots of not too nice things to say, I was kinda' hoping that they would have posted some constructive criticism that would have shed some light on how they would have improved the composition by revealing their expertise and providing some insight for the rest of us. Oh well, the weather is supposed to be better on Mother's Day. Gonna' take my spouse sailing, then take her to a fancy restaurant on the bay.

Cheers,

Gary

#286983 - 05/07/10 05:06 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Dnj Offline

Gary that sounds so romantic....
Carol is a lucky lady!

#286984 - 05/07/10 05:07 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
cgiles Offline

I went back to listen to this again. I have to say, it made me go back and look for the music. It contains so much more than the version that I play and that you usually hear in the average jazz club. In those cases, all you usually hear is the main verse (....in that deeeeeep purple....), in fact, I didn't even know what the intro, bridge, etc. even sounded like. All I could find was the usual fake book version, which contained none of the subtlety displayed in Judy's performance (sheet music version). With this tune, there is a tendency to cut out a lot of the good stuff and go straight for the 'red meat'. I'm really glad Gary posted this. It made me listen to it (ALL of it) with new ears and now I'm sure that I'll change my approach to it from the same old tired 'main verse repeated over and over with walking bass line' to (hopefully) something more interesting. To me, this is a positive result of someones posting of a member performance. Any comments I made concerning choice of instrument voicing should not be construed as a (negative) criticism of Judy's performance. In fact, few on Synthzone would be able to match it.

BUT, Diki is still correct, in that if you post a member performance on THIS board (which, let's face it, is comprised mainly of musicians), you ARE going to get comments and opinions about it. It goes with the territory, and to me, that's okay.

chas

#286985 - 05/07/10 07:19 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
travlin'easy Offline

BUT, Diki is still correct, in that if you post a member performance on THIS board (which, let's face it, is comprised mainly of musicians), you ARE going to get comments and opinions about it. It goes with the territory, and to me, that's okay.

chas

I agree, Chas. I guess the way I look at it, though is from a somewhat different perspective. Years ago, when I first came here, when someone posted a song there was constructive criticism from the vast majority of the forum members. For example, they would post information pertaining to the balance, timing, selection of instruments(s)/voice(s), layering, effects, vocals, etc... They would provide advice on how to improve those aspects of the song and steps that could easily be utilized to facilitate the changes.

Sure there were some negative comments, but the person posting them would usually provide the technical expertise so all forum members could benefit. NO ONE, at least to my recollection, ever said this song sucks, or it was so bad I couldn't listen to the entire song.

I'm confident that the level of technical expertise on this forum is extremely high, higher perhaps than most. In the past, a lot of forum members came here to learn from the pros. I hope that trend will continue, and I really appreciate your post above.

Thanks,

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 05-07-2010).]

#286986 - 05/07/10 07:28 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Dnj Offline

Gary I somewhat agree....but just because someone says they are of pro caliber....if you NEVER hear what they play so you can absorb, and only read what they write which could be here nor there, then it all means nothing....anyone can talk, but can they walk the walk?...see my point?...

learners beware I say.

#286987 - 05/07/10 11:20 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Diki Offline

Walk the walk? Talk the talk?

Deja Vu, anyone..?

#286988 - 05/07/10 12:36 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Walk the walk? Talk the talk?

Deja Vu, anyone..?

I knew it wouldn't be long for EGO time to appear Ahhhh whats the use. Gotta run to my second gig of the day BYE! BTW I'm buying another Accordion tomorrow, just for nostalgia sakes, I sold my original TITANO 30 years ago & always missed it. It's a sentimental thing just to have around the house whenever the need arises. Its the way I started my musical career. You never lose the knack to play it.

#286989 - 05/07/10 12:41 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Donny... you are going to get me to pull my accordion out of storage yet ...
Actually, a friend gave me an idea ... although I don't play NH, he suggested that I hone my accordion playing and I could actually 'stroll' the NH playing for those who might not be able to make it to an 'entertainment' room ...
t.

#286990 - 05/07/10 12:48 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Actually, a friend gave me an idea ... although I don't play NH, he suggested that I hone my accordion playing and I could actually 'stroll' the NH playing for those who might not be able to make it to an 'entertainment' room ...
t.

Tony my good friend Gary Murway.....strolls the rooms, besides regular shows.. with his battery powered rig all the time giving him an edge over the ordinary performer....
http://garymurway.homestead.com/Our_Service.html

Get that Accordion out now!!!!

#286991 - 05/07/10 12:58 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
t.

Tony plese keep that accordion in storage. I don't need more competition at NHs in this small state we live in

#286992 - 05/07/10 01:44 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
Tony plese keep that accordion in storage.

Can't argue with that . Actually, accordions rank very high on my list of favorite instruments; right behind bagpipes.

chas

PS: Donny, do not respond. I repeat, DO NOT RESPOND .

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 05-07-2010).]

#286993 - 05/07/10 01:50 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Dnj Offline

Chas you have alot to learn, the Accordion and keyboard are the ONLY true SOLO instruments.....think about it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=792LJQKZ6PU&feature=related
http://tinyurl.com/3ytxksv

NUFF SAID!!

#286994 - 05/07/10 07:37 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Chas you have alot to learn, the Accordion and keyboard are the ONLY true SOLO instruments.....think about it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=792LJQKZ6PU&feature=related
http://tinyurl.com/3ytxksv

NUFF SAID!!

Yeah, what was I thinking. That first video really sold me. I just kept watching it over and over and overrrrzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

chas

#286995 - 05/07/10 07:57 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Dnj Offline

Chas I'm glad you got inspired by
Ludovic Beier's playing it's really amazing.......!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJmOUBlgjqA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aELx76u9dVw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AHa-3PXsZo&feature=related

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-07-2010).]

#286996 - 05/08/10 12:44 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Diki Offline

Ludovic is a monster...

Currently I'm trying to find a Roland FR-1 V-Accordion to try out. Fits my budget, and weighs little (I don't mind a heavy arranger because it's not strapped to my chest! ). I've blown out a couple of nice 120 bass accordions trying to keep up with live band volumes... time to get one that can be amplified without feedback...!

I find accordion is one of the best instruments to sit in with a band. It's rare that it steps on anyone else's toes unless they have a harmonica player - and they step on EVERYONE'S toes!

Anyone got one of these (Roland FR-1) in the Florida Panhandle?

#286997 - 05/08/10 05:06 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Anyone got one of these (Roland FR-1) in the Florida Panhandle?

I think they've been officially banned.......by public demand . I'd rather hear a Mediastation playing 'Lady of Spain' with an un-tweaked converted Yamaha style while midi'ed to an original SC-55 Sound Canvass outputted to an inexpensive but loud, boombox. Actually, I think Fran has that exact rig for one of his Shore gigs .

chas

chas

#286998 - 05/08/10 05:39 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Ludovic is a monster...

#286999 - 05/08/10 07:48 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
I think they've been officially banned.......by public demand . I'd rather hear a Mediastation playing 'Lady of Spain' with an un-tweaked converted Yamaha style while midi'ed to an original SC-55 Sound Canvass outputted to an inexpensive but loud, boombox. Actually, I think Fran has that exact rig for one of his Shore gigs .
chas
chas

chas

chas
c'mon... tell us what you REALLY think about accordions ...

t.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWzxtFiivzs&feature=related
and speaking of "Deep Purple" http://vodpod.com/watch/2128182-deep-purple-art-van-damme?u=jaccordi&c=jaccordi

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 05-08-2010).]

#287000 - 05/08/10 08:37 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
cgiles Offline

Tony, with all respect to the great Art Van Damm, I just flat out don't like the TONE of an accordion. To me, it sounds like fingernails on a blackboard. I similarly dislike the sound of 'theatre organ', despite the fact that the 'classic' Hammond 'sound' as portrayed in Jazz, Rock, R&B, and Gospel, is my second favorite of all instruments (piano is first). I know that it's partly cultural and that a (large) part of it has to do with what you're used to or grew up with (men who grew up eating broccoli probably like it as adults - *broccoli is the 'accordion' of vegetables for me ). Hey, different strokes for different folks, right? Even with a master like Art Van Damm at the controls, I still don't think it's a suitable instrument for jazz. Obviously, this is JMO. For what it's worth, I feel the same way about jazz violin, whether it's Stephane Grappelli or Regina Carter.

chas

#287001 - 05/08/10 10:19 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
tony mads usa Offline

I feel the same about jazz violin, even Jon Luc Ponty ... My first favorite instrument is also piano, even though I 'grew up' on accordion ...
t.

#287002 - 05/08/10 01:13 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Tony, with all respect to the great Art Van Damm, I just flat out don't like the TONE of an accordion. To me, it sounds like fingernails on a blackboard. I similarly dislike the sound of 'theatre organ', despite the fact that the 'classic' Hammond 'sound' as portrayed in Jazz, Rock, R&B, and Gospel, is my second favorite of all instruments (piano is first). I know that it's partly cultural and that a (large) part of it has to do with what you're used to or grew up with (men who grew up eating broccoli probably like it as adults - *broccoli is the 'accordion' of vegetables for me ). Hey, different strokes for different folks, right? Even with a master like Art Van Damm at the controls, I still don't think it's a suitable instrument for jazz. Obviously, this is JMO. For what it's worth, I feel the same way about jazz violin, whether it's Stephane Grappelli or Regina Carter.

chas

I feel the same way about a Hammond Organ...after a while the sound gets very boring to me....there's only so much you can do with it. But like you say, too each his own.

#287003 - 05/08/10 04:13 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
cgiles Offline

Ok Donny, so which part of my statement do you 'feel the same way about a Hammond organ' about? The part where I said I didn't like the tone (basic sound) of an accordion, or the part where I said I didn't think it was a good fit for jazz? If it's the former, then why did you haul one around for years as your main ax, and if it's the second, why do you worship at the alter of Tony Monaco (whom I also like a lot) who PLAYS JAZZ ON A HAMMOND ORGAN. Just because I don't like accordions doesn't mean you have to suddenly hate Hammond organs to 'get even'. For Pete's sake, this isn't elementary school. So if Nigel happened to mention that he didn't like accordions, does that mean that you automatically hate guitars? Hey, the fact that I don't like accordions is not a stab at you personally. Since you're from the Philly area, you've probably heard of Rufus Harley and his 'jazz' bagpipes. For the record, I hate those too. Their unique sound was totally appropriate at JFK's funeral but really suck with drums and upright bass.

I'm glad you found, and were able to purchase, something from your early years that has sentimental value and makes you happy. The only thing I remember fondly from my youth is now old, fat, and ugly (she feels the same way about me ). You're a lucky guy. Enjoy your new accordian.

BTW, I enjoyed those pics of Benny. I recognized his wife, of course, and three of his staff. He's aged a little but he's still the same old Benny. Been quite a few years but Benny isn't someone you forget easily. Almost brought a tear to my eye until I remembered all the hard-earned cash I left there .

chas

#287004 - 05/08/10 09:51 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Dnj Offline

Quote:

BTW, I enjoyed those pics of Benny. I recognized his wife, of course, and three of his staff. He's aged a little but he's still the same old Benny. Been quite a few years but Benny isn't someone you forget easily. Almost brought a tear to my eye until I remembered all the hard-earned cash I left there .
chas

Benny was his old self today we had a great time at the store....WOW he has everything in there...he spent some time with Fran & I reminiscing as usual, I was able to get a great deal on a nice Italian Galanti Accordion which sounds fantastic also.

Now what should I buy next?

#287005 - 05/08/10 10:11 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Diki Offline

OMG! Chas doesn't like Stephan Grappelli... I worship that guy! Some of the greatest jazz phrasing I have ever heard. (BTW, did you listen to those Ludovic video's? Great stuff...)

Me I don't care WHAT it is... admittedly, there's quite a lot of music I can't sit and listen to for hours, but if it makes my juices flow, I don't care if it's a jew's harp or glass harmonium or the jawbone of an ass! I can get into it... But that's just me. I like anything that's got heart, fire, passion. Polka, raga, Afro-Cuban, Bollywood, if it's good, I can dig it!

#287006 - 05/09/10 04:41 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
cgiles Offline

Quote:
I was able to get a great deal on a nice Italian Galanti Accordion which sounds fantastic also.

Now what should I buy next?

How about some soundproofing for the room you're going to play it in.
kidding, Kidding, KIDDING

chas

#287007 - 05/09/10 04:55 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
cgiles Offline

Quote:
OMG! Chas doesn't like Stephan Grappelli...

Diki, we're talking about instruments here, not people. What I said (or tried to say) was that I don't like the violin as an instrument to play jazz on. That doesn't mean I don't like Itzhak Perlman or Joshua Bell. Instruments, instruments, instruments. I'm just talking about instruments that I find enjoyable or not so enjoyable in a jazz environment. Unfortunately, I don't like accordions in any environment. I just don't like the basic sound of the instrument. I hope I'm allowed to feel that way without being a bad person. Like I said before, 'different strokes........'

chas

#287008 - 05/09/10 05:16 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)

#287009 - 05/09/10 06:03 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
cgiles Offline

Actually, I liked the bassoon player in the first video.

Glad you posted that. It reminded me of how many instruments I DON'T like. For instance, I LOVE vibes but 'hate' marimbas. Can't explain why, probably some of it is 'acquired taste' and some is 'natural' or instinctive. Maybe an accordion stirs up some kind of primordial memory of a growling cave lion or something. Maybe I'm allergic to some strange frequencies that only an accordion can produce. Who knows.

chas

#287010 - 05/09/10 10:45 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Diki Offline

Instruments are like dogs... there are NO 'bad' instruments - just bad players!

#287011 - 05/10/10 02:50 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Dnj Offline

62 posts?

#287012 - 05/10/10 05:22 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Chas, how about Cordavox..I can get my hands on several...then you will have the "organ" sounds...

BTW: How about a real Hammond (portable type like the Farfisa Duo)..Benny has one..looks like it was from the 60's or early 70's...
In fact I may go back to Benny's tomorrow and buy it..just for fun..and yes one of the Cordavox too..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 05-10-2010).]

#287013 - 05/10/10 09:09 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Chas, I'm in agreement. Tony Lovello, one of the original Three Suns, is a long-time acquaintance and former manager of a hotel I played. Like the guy, didn't like the instrument so much. Grapelli is pretty impressive, as was Joe Venuti on violin, and Zack Brock, the son of a friend is making a name for himself on jazz violin. Not so crazy about violin used as a jazz instrument.

It's kinda like Bella Fleck. Love jazz and his ideas and commitment, but not so crazy about anything played on a 5 string banjo.

And Hammond organ boring....NEVER!
And Vibes....LOVE 'em! (Not enough to take to a one-nighter, but, what fun to play).

Different strokes, for sure!

R.

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 05-10-2010).]

#287014 - 05/10/10 01:13 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I may go back to Benny's tomorrow and buy it..just for fun..and yes one of the Cordavox too..

Fran, you've got way too much time on your hands and money to burn . I think you guys just go up there to be entertained by Benny. We all know that going to Cintioli's is different than going to any other music store in America, maybe the world . If you DO go, take a limited amount of cash and no checks or credit cards......just to be on the safe side .

chas

#287015 - 05/10/10 07:11 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
124 Offline

Vibes . . . last time I played them the house lighting guy turned on about a million sparkling lights in the ceiling. Instant bloody nightmare.

#287016 - 05/11/10 01:09 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Diki Offline

I normally DREAD whenever a harmonica player shows up and asks to jam with whatever band I'm with... On the whole, I utterly LOATHE most harmonica players! None of them know when to shut up, lay out, tailgate, or simply take a rest at all! They step on EVERYBODY, play through your solos, on top of the singer, and basically suck

BUT... there's a couple of REALLY good ones I get to play with very occasionally. And they are a delight. So I force myself to never say I HATE the harmonica... just harmonica players..!

Maybe, rather than a list of instruments we hate, we ought to have a list of instrument PLAYERS we hate..?

#287017 - 05/11/10 01:39 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Maybe, rather than a list of instruments we hate, we ought to have a list of instrument PLAYERS we hate..?

I'm guessing everybody but us would say 'keyboard players with the exception of organ players' ).

chas

#287018 - 05/12/10 12:46 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Diki Offline

Still waiting for that jazz didgeridoo player to come sit in...

Got a swing version of 'Tie me kangaroo down, sport' ready for the occasion

On a more serious note (a VERY serious note, actually ), I see a guy with a saw and a violin bow coming through the door, you'll see me running out the back one just as fast!

#287019 - 05/12/10 08:51 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
I really don't want to get involved in all this discussion, I just thought the arrangement was really good. What do I know?

Joe

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online