SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#286998 - 05/08/10 05:39 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Ludovic is a monster...

#286999 - 05/08/10 07:48 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
I think they've been officially banned.......by public demand . I'd rather hear a Mediastation playing 'Lady of Spain' with an un-tweaked converted Yamaha style while midi'ed to an original SC-55 Sound Canvass outputted to an inexpensive but loud, boombox. Actually, I think Fran has that exact rig for one of his Shore gigs .
chas
chas

chas

chas
c'mon... tell us what you REALLY think about accordions ...

t.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWzxtFiivzs&feature=related
and speaking of "Deep Purple" http://vodpod.com/watch/2128182-deep-purple-art-van-damme?u=jaccordi&c=jaccordi

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 05-08-2010).]

#287000 - 05/08/10 08:37 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Tony, with all respect to the great Art Van Damm, I just flat out don't like the TONE of an accordion. To me, it sounds like fingernails on a blackboard. I similarly dislike the sound of 'theatre organ', despite the fact that the 'classic' Hammond 'sound' as portrayed in Jazz, Rock, R&B, and Gospel, is my second favorite of all instruments (piano is first). I know that it's partly cultural and that a (large) part of it has to do with what you're used to or grew up with (men who grew up eating broccoli probably like it as adults - *broccoli is the 'accordion' of vegetables for me ). Hey, different strokes for different folks, right? Even with a master like Art Van Damm at the controls, I still don't think it's a suitable instrument for jazz. Obviously, this is JMO. For what it's worth, I feel the same way about jazz violin, whether it's Stephane Grappelli or Regina Carter.

chas

#287001 - 05/08/10 10:19 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I feel the same about jazz violin, even Jon Luc Ponty ... My first favorite instrument is also piano, even though I 'grew up' on accordion ...
t.

#287002 - 05/08/10 01:13 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Tony, with all respect to the great Art Van Damm, I just flat out don't like the TONE of an accordion. To me, it sounds like fingernails on a blackboard. I similarly dislike the sound of 'theatre organ', despite the fact that the 'classic' Hammond 'sound' as portrayed in Jazz, Rock, R&B, and Gospel, is my second favorite of all instruments (piano is first). I know that it's partly cultural and that a (large) part of it has to do with what you're used to or grew up with (men who grew up eating broccoli probably like it as adults - *broccoli is the 'accordion' of vegetables for me ). Hey, different strokes for different folks, right? Even with a master like Art Van Damm at the controls, I still don't think it's a suitable instrument for jazz. Obviously, this is JMO. For what it's worth, I feel the same way about jazz violin, whether it's Stephane Grappelli or Regina Carter.

chas

I feel the same way about a Hammond Organ...after a while the sound gets very boring to me....there's only so much you can do with it. But like you say, too each his own.

#287003 - 05/08/10 04:13 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
cgiles Offline

Ok Donny, so which part of my statement do you 'feel the same way about a Hammond organ' about? The part where I said I didn't like the tone (basic sound) of an accordion, or the part where I said I didn't think it was a good fit for jazz? If it's the former, then why did you haul one around for years as your main ax, and if it's the second, why do you worship at the alter of Tony Monaco (whom I also like a lot) who PLAYS JAZZ ON A HAMMOND ORGAN. Just because I don't like accordions doesn't mean you have to suddenly hate Hammond organs to 'get even'. For Pete's sake, this isn't elementary school. So if Nigel happened to mention that he didn't like accordions, does that mean that you automatically hate guitars? Hey, the fact that I don't like accordions is not a stab at you personally. Since you're from the Philly area, you've probably heard of Rufus Harley and his 'jazz' bagpipes. For the record, I hate those too. Their unique sound was totally appropriate at JFK's funeral but really suck with drums and upright bass.

I'm glad you found, and were able to purchase, something from your early years that has sentimental value and makes you happy. The only thing I remember fondly from my youth is now old, fat, and ugly (she feels the same way about me ). You're a lucky guy. Enjoy your new accordian.

BTW, I enjoyed those pics of Benny. I recognized his wife, of course, and three of his staff. He's aged a little but he's still the same old Benny. Been quite a few years but Benny isn't someone you forget easily. Almost brought a tear to my eye until I remembered all the hard-earned cash I left there .

chas

#287004 - 05/08/10 09:51 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Dnj Offline

Quote:

BTW, I enjoyed those pics of Benny. I recognized his wife, of course, and three of his staff. He's aged a little but he's still the same old Benny. Been quite a few years but Benny isn't someone you forget easily. Almost brought a tear to my eye until I remembered all the hard-earned cash I left there .
chas

Benny was his old self today we had a great time at the store....WOW he has everything in there...he spent some time with Fran & I reminiscing as usual, I was able to get a great deal on a nice Italian Galanti Accordion which sounds fantastic also.

Now what should I buy next?

#287005 - 05/08/10 10:11 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
OMG! Chas doesn't like Stephan Grappelli... I worship that guy! Some of the greatest jazz phrasing I have ever heard. (BTW, did you listen to those Ludovic video's? Great stuff...)

Me I don't care WHAT it is... admittedly, there's quite a lot of music I can't sit and listen to for hours, but if it makes my juices flow, I don't care if it's a jew's harp or glass harmonium or the jawbone of an ass! I can get into it... But that's just me. I like anything that's got heart, fire, passion. Polka, raga, Afro-Cuban, Bollywood, if it's good, I can dig it!

#287006 - 05/09/10 04:41 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I was able to get a great deal on a nice Italian Galanti Accordion which sounds fantastic also.

Now what should I buy next?

How about some soundproofing for the room you're going to play it in.
kidding, Kidding, KIDDING

chas

#287007 - 05/09/10 04:55 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
OMG! Chas doesn't like Stephan Grappelli...

Diki, we're talking about instruments here, not people. What I said (or tried to say) was that I don't like the violin as an instrument to play jazz on. That doesn't mean I don't like Itzhak Perlman or Joshua Bell. Instruments, instruments, instruments. I'm just talking about instruments that I find enjoyable or not so enjoyable in a jazz environment. Unfortunately, I don't like accordions in any environment. I just don't like the basic sound of the instrument. I hope I'm allowed to feel that way without being a bad person. Like I said before, 'different strokes........'

chas

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online