SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#286978 - 05/06/10 05:12 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Dnj Offline

oh boy get the lock ready...
Gary more Green Margaritas please ....and I'll use a straw too

#286979 - 05/06/10 05:20 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
mr9000 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
oh boy get the lock ready...
Gary more Green Margaritas please ....and I'll use a straw too

Naaw,i think the point has been made now..i know i'm done responding.
It just eats me when synthzone edicate is attacked/questioned. After all my visiting years on Synthzone, i know for certain this site is one of maturity and tolerance with a decent dose of testosterone(thankfully!).
It is one of the last v-er-y well run sites that are unbiased,which is the key i won't be forsaking it!..so don't be caught farting on one of my favorite sites you lurking sharks of put downs or i'll go
Jaws 5 on yer azz!..da dump.. da dumm..

[This message has been edited by mr9000 (edited 05-06-2010).]

#286980 - 05/06/10 05:41 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I think we're collectively commenting on the performance. No one has attacked this performer, in fact a few of us have complimented her.

To be frank, this selection was given the comment that "an outstanding player" performed. Now, I accepted it right away as just that, but then it was explained that it was a 4 track recording. I still like it, I still appreciate the styling and the feel she had, but I don't evaluate this the same way I would someone playing it live. A 4 track recording, IMO, doesn't really show off the playing ability in the way you'd want to hear it.

I stand by that comment and I don't think its mean, hurtful, etc. God Bless her for having the ability to do what she did with that song.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 05-06-2010).]

#286981 - 05/06/10 06:13 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Dnj Offline

I would say multi tracking a song adds considerable creativeness to the performers ability for sure versus just some automated style which in realty is a bunch of midi tracks in itself, these sequence, recording features are in the KB to be used......
she has done a fine job.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-06-2010).]

#286982 - 05/06/10 07:08 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Damned, I'm glad I went sailing. It was pretty windy on Chesapeake Bay, but Hell, it's pretty windy here too. For the folks that had lots of not too nice things to say, I was kinda' hoping that they would have posted some constructive criticism that would have shed some light on how they would have improved the composition by revealing their expertise and providing some insight for the rest of us. Oh well, the weather is supposed to be better on Mother's Day. Gonna' take my spouse sailing, then take her to a fancy restaurant on the bay.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#286983 - 05/07/10 05:06 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Dnj Offline

Gary that sounds so romantic....
Carol is a lucky lady!

#286984 - 05/07/10 05:07 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I went back to listen to this again. I have to say, it made me go back and look for the music. It contains so much more than the version that I play and that you usually hear in the average jazz club. In those cases, all you usually hear is the main verse (....in that deeeeeep purple....), in fact, I didn't even know what the intro, bridge, etc. even sounded like. All I could find was the usual fake book version, which contained none of the subtlety displayed in Judy's performance (sheet music version). With this tune, there is a tendency to cut out a lot of the good stuff and go straight for the 'red meat'. I'm really glad Gary posted this. It made me listen to it (ALL of it) with new ears and now I'm sure that I'll change my approach to it from the same old tired 'main verse repeated over and over with walking bass line' to (hopefully) something more interesting. To me, this is a positive result of someones posting of a member performance. Any comments I made concerning choice of instrument voicing should not be construed as a (negative) criticism of Judy's performance. In fact, few on Synthzone would be able to match it.

BUT, Diki is still correct, in that if you post a member performance on THIS board (which, let's face it, is comprised mainly of musicians), you ARE going to get comments and opinions about it. It goes with the territory, and to me, that's okay.

chas

#286985 - 05/07/10 07:19 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
BUT, Diki is still correct, in that if you post a member performance on THIS board (which, let's face it, is comprised mainly of musicians), you ARE going to get comments and opinions about it. It goes with the territory, and to me, that's okay.

chas

I agree, Chas. I guess the way I look at it, though is from a somewhat different perspective. Years ago, when I first came here, when someone posted a song there was constructive criticism from the vast majority of the forum members. For example, they would post information pertaining to the balance, timing, selection of instruments(s)/voice(s), layering, effects, vocals, etc... They would provide advice on how to improve those aspects of the song and steps that could easily be utilized to facilitate the changes.

Sure there were some negative comments, but the person posting them would usually provide the technical expertise so all forum members could benefit. NO ONE, at least to my recollection, ever said this song sucks, or it was so bad I couldn't listen to the entire song.

I'm confident that the level of technical expertise on this forum is extremely high, higher perhaps than most. In the past, a lot of forum members came here to learn from the pros. I hope that trend will continue, and I really appreciate your post above.

Thanks,

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 05-07-2010).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#286986 - 05/07/10 07:28 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Dnj Offline

Gary I somewhat agree....but just because someone says they are of pro caliber....if you NEVER hear what they play so you can absorb, and only read what they write which could be here nor there, then it all means nothing....anyone can talk, but can they walk the walk?...see my point?...

learners beware I say.

#286987 - 05/07/10 11:20 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Walk the walk? Talk the talk?

Deja Vu, anyone..?

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online