SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#286968 - 05/04/10 06:27 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sorry that I exploded guys and gals. It has been a rough week, lots of things going wrong in my immediate family, several friends diagnosed with cancer. I really felt this was an incredible rendition of the song--that's why I posted the link. Nothing personal--just a bad week. I need some time away from both the computer and gigs, which doesn't come easy these days. Too damned many jobs and I'm not smart enough to say no to folks who want more from me.

The lawn is done, and when I get finished tomorrow's gig I'm going sailing for a couple days. There's a sign in the boat's cabin that says "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem!" See ya when I get back.

Cheers,

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 05-05-2010).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#286969 - 05/05/10 12:08 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Never knew you were a Kenny Chesney fan, Gary!

Sorry about the family issues...

BTW, me, I thought the arrangement was very nice, but the strings (and the occasional slip and use of the sustain pedal on them) were not very convincing. It's VERY difficult to take piano pieces and play them as string pieces, because the voicings and techniques are so different. And the Yamaha string sound from the S900 just doesn't have enough range to work well. It's nice enough for a bed or a floater, but if you make them the ONLY sound you are playing, you need a bit more articulation to be convincing.

Thing is, Gary, you can't expect to post anything here and us NOT have an opinion about it! You've got one, after all Sorry we don't necessarily concur, but that what opinions are all about...

#286970 - 05/05/10 08:15 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
BTW, me, I thought the arrangement was very nice, but the strings (and the occasional slip and use of the sustain pedal on them) were not very convincing. It's VERY difficult to take piano pieces and play them as string pieces, because the voicings and techniques are so different. And the Yamaha string sound from the S900 just doesn't have enough range to work well. It's nice enough for a bed or a floater, but if you make them the ONLY sound you are playing, you need a bit more articulation to be convincing.

Thing is, Gary, you can't expect to post anything here and us NOT have an opinion about it! You've got one, after all Sorry we don't necessarily concur, but that what opinions are all about...

I agree. Nice enough arrangement but I think the things Diki pointed out absolutely apply. As with most of his posts, once you pull the arrow out of your scrotum and re-read what he actually says (instead of how he sometimes says it ), you'll find it to be pretty much spot on. I still smile every time I think of James humorous description of Diki as some kind of relentless Terminator. I only mention it because I'm sure that Diki found it amusing as well . Don't get me wrong, I'm not being mean. I'm probably his biggest fan and supporter on this board. I just sometimes have to laugh at his relentless pursuit of Truth and the eradication of BS (no matter how many lives it destroys in the process - that's a joke ). It's kind of like "Support mental health or I'll kill you".

About this song. I still play it occasionally but my version just sounds like the Richard 'Groove' Holmes version that he recorded on his Album, Groove. It's just classic funk/jazz organ from the 60's and would only appeal to fans of that genre' from that era. I'd post an example of it except for the previous sentence .

For the record, her (Judy?) arrangement of it would be a good candidate for very good VST strings, but I suspect, as Diki pointed out, it may still be just too mushy if done with just strings alone. Again, it's all subjective.

chas

#286971 - 05/05/10 08:50 AM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Dnj Offline

Chas who cares? can't we just Appreciate other musicians music?....who are WE to judge anything? It's insane what goes on here with critiques bno wonder no one wants to post or has left for that reason.

#286972 - 05/06/10 02:21 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Me, I post something to listen to, I WANT opinions. If I wanted nothing but flattery, I would play it to my mother! (Rest her soul)

One way I have found of making string patches more realistic is to layer them... Take a nice semi-mushy string sound (like she has done), and take off some of the velocity sensitivity, so it doesn't vary too much as you play softer and louder (if you are using a volume pedal like she is, maybe take it off altogether), then layer a string quartet sound (just solo violin and cello, for instance if you don't have a quartet sample) and make the velocity sensitivity VERY high for that, then turn it down until it JUST pops out when you hit hard. Now, as you play smoothly, you get smooth strings, get frisky and a hair more definition comes in...

Works well with smooth strings and spiccato, too

Give it a try...

The whole purpose of criticism should really be positive... point out flaws, then figure out if they can be avoided. Don't just pretend they don't exist. Who gets better by doing that?!

#286973 - 05/06/10 03:01 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
mr9000 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
[B]Me, I post something to listen to, I WANT opinions.
The whole purpose of criticism should really be positive... point out flaws, then figure out if they can be avoided.

As per usual, i sit here being Diki's yes man!Totally agree..oh..and will anyone ever be making a mediastation sound good?..sorry but my patience of 10years shows a little more every year.

#286974 - 05/06/10 04:22 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Pacesetter Offline

Hey Gang,

Did ya ever think maybe this 68 year old woman possibly old enough to be your grandmother, mother, maybe or older sister could give a rats tail what you guys think.? She's probably not even aware of this thread and just plays for her own enjoyment. If she were aspiring to be the next..............star then maybe it would matter. Strikes me many of you should apply for positions as music critics at your local newspaper or magazine.

BTW I bop in here every once in a while and I know why it's the same old schitck here. For you critics I'll keep my eyes opened for your name on the marquis in Vegas because you are obviously better than most here.

[This message has been edited by Pacesetter (edited 05-06-2010).]

#286975 - 05/06/10 04:53 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
mr9000 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacesetter:
[B]
I bop in here every once in a while and I know why it's the same old schitck here. For you critics I'll keep my eyes opened for your name on the marquis in Vegas because you are obviously better than most here. B]

Guess the 'schitick' ya are seeking involves eternally soft laced sheepened bottoms that are always in 100% agreeance with a ba baa here and a ba baa there...come on synthzone babes,put those baby tear wipes away..what are we in grade 2 with our readily swift responses of: "i'm offended and/or hurt".. please pull up yer skirts boys,it is a man's world..thankfully. If the schitick is not to your liking,by all means return to the other pretty pink keyboard sites of huggery and kisses. To me a good site is like a finger print that cannot be duplicated and run like another site..is that what some seek,duplicates and sited clones of repetition coping one another in monotoned unison? God gawd,show me such a site and i''ll show you my membershipLESS status!
NIGEL ROCKS and ain;t nutting you can do about this fantastically run site
tee hee!

[This message has been edited by mr9000 (edited 05-06-2010).]

#286976 - 05/06/10 04:58 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
Pacesetter Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mr9000:
Guess the 'schitick' ya are seeking involves eternally soft laced sheepened bottoms that are always in 100% agreeance with a ba baa here and a ba baa there...come synth babes,put those baby wipes of tears away..what are we in grade 2 again with our readily swift "i'm offended and/or hurt"..pull up yer skirts boys,it is a man's world..thankfully. If the schitick is to your liking,by all means return to your other pretty pink synth sites of huggery and kisses.

Cute dude, why don't you post something Mr9000. I'm just a home player what I play is not worthy of posting, but since you are really a hot shot let's hear it.

Oh, I apologize, I found one of your youtube videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HfE238zOhY

[This message has been edited by Pacesetter (edited 05-06-2010).]

#286977 - 05/06/10 05:08 PM Re: Incredible composition of Deep Purple...
mr9000 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacesetter:
[B] Cute dude, why don't you post something Mr9000 since you are really a hot shot[/B

hmm now,seems it is the Hot shots usually telling moderators how to do their jobs more effectivly and other such schitick yawnisms...Not happy with the pace here at synthzone pace?you can move on and stay on the other sheep sites of baa by all means, if insultery and 'schitick' like mannerisms is what keeps you returning here?

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online