SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#286627 - 04/29/10 07:26 AM Could we be replaced by a robot?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA

#286628 - 04/29/10 07:32 AM Re: Could we be replaced by a robot?
Dnj Offline

Well we've already been replaced by Arranger KB's......how much automatic playing, computer, DJ, KJ, Vocal harmonizers, backing tracks, etc, etc, do we need.....we have been reduced to "Musical Operators" more then anything else anyway.....verses years ago...people in their 45-80 year range are the last breed to have both musical eras in their life.....ALL LIVE MUSIC....& now the ELECTRONIC, COMPUTER, Age....when we're gone it's OVER!!! sadly.

#286629 - 04/29/10 07:56 AM Re: Could we be replaced by a robot?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Does no one force anyone to play with all the above mentioned tools/programs. So why even use them?

There are plenty of video clips on youtube.com that show plenty of young talent. Talent we can only dream of.

There will be many other musical eras to come, in our lifetime and when we're long gone.

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#286630 - 04/29/10 08:34 AM Re: Could we be replaced by a robot?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
My wife says I could be replaced by a robot. I told her this was fine just as long as the SOB could take care of 3 acres of lawn, mulch 8 gardens, repair the plumbing, maintain the air conditioner, maintain the heating system, clean, cook, wash clothes, drive the car, play music, sing, do the banking, take out the trash, baby sit our grandson, and 8 Jillian other things I do around here. Hmmmm! Maybe she just needs a young guy with lots of money.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#286631 - 04/29/10 03:06 PM Re: Could we be replaced by a robot?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Wow! That was interesting. I know how you feel, Donny, but I think Taike is right. Threre really is a lot of young talent out there. Go to any college or university with a decent music program and check out the talent. Ask about the jazz program. You'll usually find some young dudes that can really, REALLY, play. Because they don't show up in the local bar band or nursing home circuit, doesn't mean that they're not out there. I think these guys end up in show bands, teaching HS music, studios, etc. Anywhere you need someone that run the chart once and do the gig.

I have a aviation buddy that owns an architectural firm here in Atlanta, that is on the board of GA Tech. I'm going to see if he can get me a VIP tour of the music dept. (and check out this Robot in person ). You guys say the word and I'll short the little sucker out .

chas

#286632 - 04/29/10 06:00 PM Re: Could we be replaced by a robot?
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Gary, does she have a lot of money...?

#286633 - 04/29/10 07:25 PM Re: Could we be replaced by a robot?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Nedim:
Gary, does she have a lot of money...?

A lot more than I have--and guess who has the big insurance policy on who!

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#286634 - 04/29/10 07:51 PM Re: Could we be replaced by a robot?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Wow! That was interesting. I know how you feel, Donny, but I think Taike is right. Threre really is a lot of young talent out there. Go to any college or university with a decent music program and check out the talent. Ask about the jazz program. You'll usually find some young dudes that can really, REALLY, play. Because they don't show up in the local bar band or nursing home circuit, doesn't mean that they're not out there. I think these guys end up in show bands, teaching HS music, studios, etc. Anywhere you need someone that run the chart once and do the gig.

I have a aviation buddy that owns an architectural firm here in Atlanta, that is on the board of GA Tech. I'm going to see if he can get me a VIP tour of the music dept. (and check out this Robot in person ). You guys say the word and I'll short the little sucker out .

chas

Chas you may be partially correct but even if there is much talent out there & we all know there is ...if people don't get to hear much of it that's a sin. BUT let's face it modern technology in music is as BAD as it is GOOD wouldn't you say?

#286635 - 04/30/10 04:54 AM Re: Could we be replaced by a robot?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Donny, you've put your finger on a huge part of the problem. The public, the average American between the ages of 20 and 50, has very few choices if they want to hear 'live' music. The average young person's idea of 'live music' is a mega-thousand-attendee rock concert. Most of the small venues that used to provide the main outlets for live music are becoming few and far between. They have been replaced by Karaoke, DJ's, KJ's, etc. Even OMB's, although 'live' (sort of), are usually replacements for what used to be trios and quartets. Most clubs won't even spring for one extra person which kills many opportunities for non-singing OMB's that need a singer to make the gig work.

It's a sad state of affairs and a horrible trend that seems to be getting worse. Around here, even old established clubs can't maintain the genre' full time. Jazz clubs will usually have one or more nights for R&B or Rock, C&W bars and clubs will have Blues or Southern Rock nights. It's the only way they can stay in business. I guess the upside is that it's still 'live music', but just goes to show what clubs have to do to keep live music on the schedule. I don't know this for sure, but I get the sense that this condition does not extend to Europe. I'd like to know, if some of our European members would like to chime in.

chas

#286636 - 04/30/10 05:12 AM Re: Could we be replaced by a robot?
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
lol.. It's like a cross between Lela and Bender

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online