SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#286587 - 04/26/10 08:01 PM rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
OK, I know a lot you have lots experience playing at nursing homes. This will be my third time to play at this nursing home. The first time I just played instrumental standards. The second time I threw in a vocal of “My Girl” The nursing staff seemed to dig it and were up and groovin’ and I got some positive feedback. I’m thinking of doing some more rock’n roll stuff, along with the standards. Do you think “Proud Marry” (CCR) “Lets Twist Again” (Chubby Checkers)and “ All My Loving”(Beatles) are too rock ‘n roll for the 80 plus crowd? I guess these folks weren’t teens during the sixties but I think these tunes would be recognized by them.
The gig is today, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#286588 - 04/26/10 08:43 PM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
My friend Dean Mathis and I traveled the entire state of Louisiana doing Nursing Homes for about 15 years. We billed it as Old-time Rock n' Roll and Classic Country.
We started with "One for the money, two for the show, (Blue Suede Shoes) and didn't let up much for an hour.
They love it. Keep it mostly upbeat. The residents enjoy music from their prime years, and now days that is mostly 50's, 60's and 70s.
Here's a link to our website, although it hasn't been updated in years. http://donnymason.tripod.com/

DonM

#286589 - 04/26/10 09:19 PM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Are you kidding? They'll love it. This is no longer the "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" generation. They are long gone. Rock on!

Joe

#286590 - 04/27/10 01:37 AM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I usually do at least a 1/3rd of the hour playing rock & roll stuff. It always goes over well. Intermix slower and different tempo material along the way. I start fast and end fast, lol...

The success of the hour I have with them usually comes down to two things. 1) An entertaining, mostly upbeat selection of songs and 2) Stimulating them through these songs, trivia, games, etc. along the way.

IMO, our job is to mainly stimulate through music. If a NH entertainer is able to get his audience physically, intellectually and emotionally involved during the performance, he's doing a good job.

Keep rockin, lol...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 04-27-2010).]

#286591 - 04/27/10 02:16 AM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
Dusan Offline

Loc: Slovenija
Keep rockin,
they are young some day and remember all that music and no mether if they 100 years old naw...

#286592 - 04/27/10 06:18 AM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Can't go wrong with the advice above.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#286593 - 04/27/10 06:48 AM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
Dnj Offline

The quality of the music is all that matters...don't for one minute think they don't know the difference between good and bad and they desere the very best.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-27-2010).]

#286594 - 04/27/10 06:48 AM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
TheSonicEnergyAuthority Offline

Loc: Peterborough,Cambridgeshire,UK
Just don't start playing any "Hip (h)Op"

#286595 - 04/27/10 09:02 AM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
The quality of the music is all that matters...don't for one minute think they don't know the difference between good and bad and they desere the very best.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-27-2010).]

I beg to differ...

Why don't they have a string quartet come in every week? How about a harpist or a strolling operatic singer. Boy, that would have them running through walls, wouldn't it? Nothing says "happy hour" like a guy and a dulcimer, lol...

Of course quality matters-you can't suck, but the style of music is very important to the event they've hired us for. Good quality OMB-ers have a broader appeal to the vast majority than those I listed above.

There is no ONE THING that only matters. Quality, professionalism, variety, and an ability to relate on a genuine level to these audiences is what, over time usually spells success.

Another word of advice I'd pass along to montunoman. Don't let your self play the same sets on any kind of a regular basis. There will always be a few "favorites or requests" that you'll wind up playing every visit, but other than that-change it up. The biggest complaint I hear in my area by far is that too many acts on the NH circuit play the same sets over & over again. One act apparently hasn't changed their program in over a year. The fresher you sound every visit, the more likely you'll get called back more.

Let us know how this is working for you. Any questions-keep asking!

Good luck!

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#286596 - 04/27/10 09:24 AM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
The comment I hear most often from my NH residents is - "We love your music; you don't play all that old stuff all the others do."

Most of my music is post-1950 and much post-1970. They love Paul Anka, Neil Sedaka, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis and the like. I keep the tempos varied and try to stay away from too many sad songs. But they love the beat - Rockin' Robin, Runaround Sue, Great Balls of Fire, etc. In my area (Detroit) 60s and 70s Motown is a winner.

#286597 - 04/27/10 09:42 AM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Biil from Dayton says - "Why don't they have a string quartet come in every week? How about a harpist or a strolling operatic singer. Boy, that would have them running through walls, wouldn't it? Nothing says "happy hour" like a guy and a dulcimer, lol... "

Wow, Bill. I think those are some great ideas, to a certain extent. I'm sure a NH budget can't afford a string quartet, but a harpist or a strolling musician might work. I'm not knockin' your post, just reinforcing what else you said, "There is no ONE THING that only matters. Quality, professionalism, variety, and an ability to relate on a genuine level to these audiences is what, over time usually spells success. "

I also agree with the idea of not repeating yourself too often. My audiences know that when I play I will have something different for them along with the rest of my great repertoire.

#286598 - 04/27/10 02:39 PM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I do the same thing. I keep a log of every NH and what I play when. If I go back to a set, it is 6 mos old, at least. The exceptions are the opening patriotic numbers and polkas which I rotate more often.

#286599 - 04/27/10 03:05 PM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
montunoman Offline

Thanks guys, I just got done with the job and things went well. They liked the old rock 'n roll stuff too. I don't consider myself a singer at all but the vocals stuff seems to go over better than the instrumental. I'll keep working on the voice and adding some more tunes to my list.

#286600 - 04/27/10 05:03 PM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
124 Offline

This was our set at a NH last week, and they loved it:

Jambalaya
When Will I be Loved - Everly's
Come See About Me - Supremes
I Should Have Known Better - Beatles
Obladi Oblada - Beatles
Jackson - Nancy Sinatra/Lee Hazlewood
Daddy's Home - Shep & The Limelights
Tell Him - The Exciters
I Can't Help Myself - Four Tops
The No No Song - Ringo Starr
Lay Down Sally - Eric Clapton
When You Say Nothing At All-Ronan Keating
Just One Look - Doris Troy
Red Hot Women - New Riders of the Purple Sage
Mamma Mia - Abba

So, there's a fair old mix of stuff there. Oh, and I had to jam a request for Tennessee Waltz - hadn't played that one in many many moons. Bottom line is: 'tain't what you do, it's the way that you do it.

#286601 - 04/27/10 05:48 PM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 124:

Jambalaya
When Will I be Loved - Everly's
Come See About Me - Supremes
I Should Have Known Better - Beatles
Obladi Oblada - Beatles
Jackson - Nancy Sinatra/Lee Hazlewood
Daddy's Home - Shep & The Limelights
Tell Him - The Exciters
I Can't Help Myself - Four Tops
The No No Song - Ringo Starr
Lay Down Sally - Eric Clapton
When You Say Nothing At All-Ronan Keating
Just One Look - Doris Troy
Red Hot Women - New Riders of the Purple Sage
Mamma Mia - Abba

So, there's a fair old mix of stuff there. Oh, and I had to jam a request for Tennessee Waltz - hadn't played that one in many many moons. Bottom line is: 'tain't what you do, it's the way that you do it.

That's awesome...

To be able to perform tunes that other acts probably aren't playing is a huge feather in your cap.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#286602 - 04/27/10 09:14 PM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
montunoman Offline

Thanks "124" for posting your set list. I would be very interested in what others here are playing at nursing homes too.

I guess I firgured the older folks would a smiller tastes in music as my parents (who are in there mid 70's) My folks have most always listened to big band, standards, and show music. Not that they hate oldies(rock)

I guess the elderly have much more diverse tastes in music than I thought.

#286603 - 04/28/10 03:43 AM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Played two shows yesterday. Off the top of my head ...

1st show:

Kansas City
What A Wonderful World (Sam Cooke)
Rocky Top
Just A Closer Walk with Thee
It Had To Be You
Inammarota
When You're Smiling
Make The World Go Away
In The Mood
Dock of the bay
Hello Mary Lou
All of me
Look At Us
Cherry Pink/Apple Blossum white
Are You Lonesome tonight
Fools rush in
Just Because Polka
God bless america

2nd show:

Red Sails in the sunset
Blueberry hill
In the garden
Never on a Sunday
You don't mess around with Jim
Blue skirt waltz
Please don't talk about me
In the mood
Together
How great thou art
Ruby
Your mama don't dance
GBA

...most of the 1st job was all requests, just a few for the 2nd show...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 04-28-2010).]

#286604 - 04/28/10 04:08 AM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
First of all do not think of them as old seniors.

Second don’t have a list that is played without seeing how they are accepting the songs that you are playing. In short don’t limit the music by what you are feeling, it s where they are at in their lives and what they are feeling. The same group may be very different on a different day.

I have always formed a relationship with a few people so that I can relate to them when I am at my instrument. Keep changing the person you relate to, they love to be part of and noticed. Do not allow them to own you.

Sometimes talking about the song before playing it (Romancing the song) adds a great deal. “Do you remember this one”.

The most successful performer is the performer with a friendly personality, but it must be one that they can feel, just having one does not say much. How well you play the song comes second. From all that I here about Gary I am certain that he has a great relationship with the people he plays for.

There some great ideas that have been posted here, love it.

John C.

#286605 - 04/28/10 06:33 AM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I do know a lot of them personally, I know their names, have met some of their families, and when they're not at a performance, I always ask the AD or someone in attendance where they are and inquire about their wellbeing. The vast majority of them are wonderful people that have been beset with various health issues. In all the years I have been a performer I can honestly say the nursing home circuit is the most satisfying job I've ever had.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#286606 - 04/28/10 07:03 AM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
Dnj Offline

Call some AD's and go see some of what they consider their top entertainers and maybe you can absorb from watching what they do at NH facilities it could help you get ideas for your own act.

#286607 - 04/28/10 10:50 AM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
montunoman Offline

Very good ideas!

Thanks for providing set list. I see alot of tunes that I'd like to learn.

#286608 - 04/28/10 11:39 AM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Look at it like this.

When you are / get to the age of 40 would you still enjoy stuff you heard when you were 20? Of course you would. Age 80 in 2010 is age 40 in 1970 and age 20 in 1950.

Therefore - go for it!

And I agree totally that you must mix it up.

#286609 - 04/28/10 04:00 PM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
montunoman Offline

Yeah, being in your 20's in the 50's most have been very interesting. A real musical cross road. That age group grew up on the great swing bands and rock 'n was just getting popular. I would have liked to been around back then. Such great music.

My uncle just turned 80 today. Got to call him and talk about those days!

[This message has been edited by montunoman (edited 04-28-2010).]

#286610 - 04/28/10 07:24 PM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by 124:

124: you said "our set" ... do you work as a duo, trio, what? ...
thnx,
t.

#286611 - 04/28/10 07:53 PM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
When Dean and I were doing the NH circuit, we encouraged audience participation but enlisting a lady to be "Minnie Pearl" and a man to be "Grandpa Jones". We took them hats and glasses to wear. Of course Minnie would help us welcome everybody by shouting "Howdeee, I'm just so proud to be here."
And we'd have Grandpa tell us what they were having for supper. It was often hilarious what he would come up with.
I miss the nursing homes. Maybe I'll start doing them again.
As Gary says, they are the most rewarding jobs you'll ever do.
DonM

#286612 - 04/28/10 08:56 PM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
I do know a lot of them personally, I know their names, have met some of their families, and when they're not at a performance, I always ask the AD or someone in attendance where they are and inquire about their wellbeing. The vast majority of them are wonderful people that have been beset with various health issues. In all the years I have been a performer I can honestly say the nursing home circuit is the most satisfying job I've ever had.

Gary

To add to this, in several of the facilities that I've played for several years, I go around and visit the residents that can no longer come to the shows. Like Gary, I can also say that this is the most gratifying work I've ever done.

Joe

#286613 - 04/29/10 02:38 PM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
124 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
124: you said "[b]our set" ... do you work as a duo, trio, what? ...
thnx,
t.

[/B]

Hi Tony,
Yep, just me and the missus. My lovely lady retired from her day job TODAY!!!! so I guess we'll be ramping up the gigs from here on out. Cheers!

Here's a link for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_sJN3UmuFo&fmt=18

[This message has been edited by 124 (edited 04-29-2010).]

[This message has been edited by 124 (edited 04-29-2010).]

#286614 - 04/29/10 03:18 PM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Very nice, 124. However, if my wife had been present at my gigs, 90% of my fondest memories would never even have occured . Thanks for sharing.

chas

#286615 - 04/30/10 10:53 AM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
124 Offline

Thanks chas, glad you liked the vid. BTW what number wife are you on now, you d-a-w-g you . Sounds like you'd have enough material for a book about life on the road. Are you EVER gonna slow down?

#286616 - 04/30/10 12:39 PM Re: rock 'n roll at a nursing ?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
124 ... thnx mch for posting that ... I enjoyed it also ...
I think it's great that a husband and wife can WORK together and LIVE together ...
I'm on wife #1 - 47 years in November - but I'm not sure we could have worked together ... ...
t.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online