SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#286465 - 04/25/10 09:50 PM Re: recommendations for stage piano?
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by --Mac:
Check out the Kurzweil offerings.
http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/Product.php?id=205

I personally love the Kurzweil sounds, its vastly superiour to anything but VST's and Oasys..

And you will need external speakers and monitors for use on stage anyway... build in speakers just don't cut it as monitors.

And at home you can route the audio out through your other E60.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#286466 - 04/25/10 10:18 PM Re: recommendations for stage piano?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Korg SV1

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#286467 - 04/26/10 05:16 AM Re: recommendations for stage piano?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
thanks Frankie, but "124" already posted the sv1 link earlier in this thread, and there's 3 drawbacks: price, weight, and fully weighted action. does look like fantastic unit tho.

Bachus, no speakers isn't a deal-breaker, I just find them more convenient to use at home, and they do provide some monitoring--I never use stage monitors. I place one EV 12" speaker beside and just to rear of me on the floor, with the powered mixer on top for
easy access//then I place the other speaker on a stand. I could get by with no speakers
in the unit this way..just a little bit nicer
to have them for extra monitors. I would love to demo the SP2 (the only Kurzweil that has the right action, weight, and price for me)if i can find one.

------------------
Miami Mo

#286468 - 04/26/10 01:40 PM Re: recommendations for stage piano?
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Check out an old Roland EP 760. 76 keys, light action, 20 basic sounds, split & layer capability. Good LH bass sounds. No saved setups. Its so simple you can make quick changes with the buttons on the front. Very light and decent built in speakers.
Paid $600 for mine new quit a while back so you definaly find a good deal o a used one.
Bill in NJ

#286469 - 04/26/10 04:48 PM Re: recommendations for stage piano?
keysvocalssax Offline

thanks Bill, sounds good..but nothing on ebay at the moment.

------------------
Miami Mo

#286470 - 04/26/10 06:20 PM Re: recommendations for stage piano?
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Older model Kurzweils, out of production, but if you find one, they are pretty much exactly what you are looking for and the price should be right.

Kurzweil SP-76 or SP-88
http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/Product.php?product=52

Great stage piano.

Light action, even though weighted.

Makes a great Controller also.
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#286471 - 04/27/10 07:01 PM Re: recommendations for stage piano?
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
There is even a very cheap decent digital piano by Yamaha (model NP30) that seems to be liked by many pros. It's lightweight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jvuchCUkBg&feature=related

#286472 - 04/28/10 11:51 PM Re: recommendations for stage piano?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I don't see the point in dumping the E60 for a no touch 'stage piano' of about the same weight... You already GOT a light touch stage piano, with piano tones FAR better than the NP30, for starters, and arguably better, or at least equal, piano sounds than many dedicated stage pianos mentioned.

Your E60!

Just because it has arranger features doesn't mean you have to use them! But the soundset in the E60 is better than is likely to be provided in any dedicated stage piano (should you need a different sound). It already has an excellent 76 keyboard, it's under or about your weight limit, it has speakers built in... plays SMF's, savable presets, LH bass options, has every sound you mentioned.

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it... Why buy ANOTHER keyboard to do what you already have..? It does EVERYTHING you said you needed except recording (audio, that is, it has an EXCELLENT MIDI Recorder), and that was an option. You need to take a VERY careful listen to any of the cheap unweighted stage pianos. I think you are going to be very disappointed in their piano sounds even compared to your E60. And they won't have nearly as good a selection or quality of sounds than you already have.

#286473 - 04/29/10 05:07 AM Re: recommendations for stage piano?
keysvocalssax Offline

brilliant, Diki, as usual! being of almost equal genius i had come to the same conclusion in the last couple of days after checking what's out there.
guess i thought i could lighten up even more,
and probably just looking for the cheap thrill of a new kbd to fool with. o well, it was fun researching. (btw Diki, after tweaking the Classic piano so much, lo and behold, I tried the Superior piano again, and on gigs, that seems to be the best one for me--untweaked. go figure. My original impression was that it was thin..but a good pianist i asked to try it liked the Superior best too.)

hey, what does everyone think of the Korg M50? 73 keys, light, cheap, seems to have a lot of fun features..can't find one to demo.
(damn this "new toy"impulse won't quit!)

------------------
Miami Mo

#286474 - 04/29/10 01:26 PM Re: recommendations for stage piano?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Nice to see you come to your senses, Mo...!

I actually like the M50 quite a lot. It definitely adds some quite contemporary 'flava', does the whole 'loop' thing pretty well, and would compliment your Roland with some VERY different (but still great) sounds and grooves. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to REPLACE the E60 with it (it's pianos aren't as strong, IMO) but it would make almost the perfect compliment to it. For a budget price, that is...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online