SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#285893 - 04/15/10 10:56 AM PA300B adapter failed on PSR-S910
Beakybird Offline

I was at my morning show, and my keyboard would not turn on. I keep a spare adapter in my car (but no a spare keyboard), so I prayed that it was the adapter. Luckily, it was.

As the keyboard is less than a year old, the adapter is under warranty. I just faxed a copy of my receipt to Yamaha, and they are going to replace it.

I did notice the extremely cheap PA300 adapters available on Ebay. It's definitely the wise thing to have a back up.

Beakybird

#285894 - 04/15/10 12:48 PM Re: PA300B adapter failed on PSR-S910
hitman Offline

Loc: VA/ USA
Do you use any kind of protection between the outlet and adapter, or you plug it in straight?

#285895 - 04/15/10 12:57 PM Re: PA300B adapter failed on PSR-S910
Dnj Offline

Larry that's happened to me also... I have 3 adapters for the S910....

"gotta have back up"

#285896 - 04/15/10 01:42 PM Re: PA300B adapter failed on PSR-S910
Beakybird Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by hitman:
Do you use any kind of protection between the outlet and adapter, or you plug it in straight?

I have a 3 outlet surge protector.

Beakybird

#285897 - 04/15/10 01:52 PM Re: PA300B adapter failed on PSR-S910
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Most sudden wallwart failures are in the cord or the plug, due to stress.

Avoid "wrapping" the cord around your hand or around something else, instead, "gather" it and secure with a wrap or rubber band.

Avoid stresses to the plug, where the critical molded wire-to-pin connections are.

Good idea to secure the cord *before* the place it plugs into, with at least a light loopknot to something sturdy, rather 5han leaving the plug end subjected to a jerk or pull in the case of someone tripping on the wire, etc. which can cause a disconnect of those critical internal connections.

And sometimes, the things just fail...
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#285898 - 04/15/10 03:03 PM Re: PA300B adapter failed on PSR-S910
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Good points Mac. About 90 percent of the failures I've seen have usually been the result of turning the keyboard up to near maximum volume, which really overloads the power pack. However, I have one sitting on my desk right now that belongs to a friend and the AC line is broken right where it enters the strain relief fitting. He, like many others, always wrapped that wire tightly around the power pack before putting it away. Fortunately, I was able to make the repair for him in less than 30 minutes.

I have found power packs that have a better wattage rating for as little as $14 U.S. that are made in Hong Kong. They don't overheat when playing with higher volumes.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online