SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#285888 - 04/18/10 07:12 AM Re: What makes a keyboard a good one.....
124 Offline

John, thanks for the insights. Maybe what I do regarding tweaks, etc. is not so far off the mark as I thought after all, so I'll keep on keeping on - I'm never going to exhaust all that this Pa1XPro has to offer anyway. Cheers.

#285889 - 04/19/10 12:42 AM Re: What makes a keyboard a good one.....
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Danny,

First of all, you've got mail.
Over the last week or so I have been going through hundreds of styles to burden my new PA500 with, and as stated earlier I find the great majority of them highly inferior to the factory styles. Nevertheless I have added almost one hundred styles to the internal factory style memory (one of the niceties of the Korg arrangers), so that now I have approx. 450 styles on board, and still have my user-style area (64 styles) entirely free for future use.
It is my experience that as regards converted styles the Korg keyboards get best results with styles that have been converted from Ketron (Solton) keyboards. Yamaha conversions are so so, and particularly Roland performs very poorly, converted that is. (with the exception perhaps of the ones I sent you by mail).

My suggestions to tweak etc. should not come as a surprise to anyone. I guess the point I was making is that many people simply cannot be bothered or think it is too time consuming,which it is in fact. But Like I said if you experiment say for one hour with only one performance, you may come up with a couple of combinations that will serve you
"a life time", by matter of speech........
my motto I guess therefor: KEEP TWEAKING !

#285890 - 04/19/10 02:52 AM Re: What makes a keyboard a good one.....
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
John
You got me to thinking in regard to tweaking. Diki and others have posted numerous times about making their keyboard "their own" by tweaking their sounds. I have to admit that being busy gigging and doing other projects, if the style or instrument sounded pretty good, i would let it go.

I recently decided to go through my registrations on my G70 because it is the easiest to tweak. I found that if I slowed down and thought about improvements one at a time, I started to make all kinds of little improvements, ranging from adding delay in mod to replacing a style or modifying it.

Now, whenever I get ready for a gig I will take a little time and revisit my intended regs.

Thanks for the reminder
Bernie

#285891 - 04/19/10 03:10 AM Re: What makes a keyboard a good one.....
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I will go one step farther and say that I assumed that factory sounds were progammed by experts and, therefore, were the best available. I forgot that this is highly subjective. To wit,I have found a brand new affinity for my G70 after tweaking. I didn't know it could sound so good, and I've only started.

#285892 - 04/19/10 03:41 AM Re: What makes a keyboard a good one.....
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Hi Bernie,

This is exactly what I mean and good for you !
But obviously it is only the tip of the iceberg.
In my opinion most of the sounds in the factory presets are pretty lousy, because they have been included as a last minute thought.
Example, and this goes for virtually any brand or make of keyboard:
Pick a good electric piano sound, preferably one that has affinity with the Yamaha DX sort of piano sounds.
Remove all or virtually all of the reverb.
Add substantial Chorus or Ensemble. If possible rais or lower the filter of the basis sample being used for this sound.
Nine times out of ten you will get a substantially better electric piano sound than the one you have been using so far......
Just give it a try !!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online