SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#285552 - 04/17/10 11:53 AM Re: Thinking about a TYROS 3 ?....here some great demos and instruction
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It's kind of like saying... I have a trumpet where all the valves are frozen. But I still play trumpet parts on it. As long as I ONLY play when I wouldn't have to finger a note, it sounds JUST like a trumpet!

What's probably the most disappointing thing about the whole approach is simply how EASY it would be to add a sustain pedal. Weighs nothing, costs nothing, the easiest thing in the world to operate... But apparently, not for Donny!

Look, I grew up on pianos, to start out with. Doesn't mean that, once faced with an organ, I didn't learn how to use an expression pedal! Once faced with a brass instrument, I didn't learn how to control the mouthpiece and valves and slides. Once faced with a guitar, I didn't learn about strumming... But apparently, faced with a sustain pedal, Donny is stumped

His loss...

#285553 - 04/19/10 07:46 AM Re: Thinking about a TYROS 3 ?....here some great demos and instruction
Dnj Offline

#285554 - 04/19/10 08:59 AM Re: Thinking about a TYROS 3 ?....here some great demos and instruction
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Voncken's using a sustain pedal in this video...

Donny- Just grab one of your pals and ask them to shoot 1 or 2 minutes of you demonstrating this technique. I'm quite serious...

I can't see this in my mind for tunes featuring a piano and with sustained passages. I know you have this "lightening fast technique thing" worked out and would like to see it.

...or anyone who doesn't use a sustain pedal with their piano...I'd just like to view it.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 04-19-2010).]

#285555 - 04/20/10 12:43 PM Re: Thinking about a TYROS 3 ?....here some great demos and instruction
Diki Offline

There is no technique on the planet (lightening or not! ) that can allow you to play an arpeggio legato over a couple of octaves... with one hand.

As I said, the only way not using a sustain pedal works is to NEVER play anything that NEEDS a sustain pedal. Which is about 60% of everything. If you are happy with 40%, you are good to go. Some make do with 10%...

#285556 - 04/20/10 12:59 PM Re: Thinking about a TYROS 3 ?....here some great demos and instruction
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I know I can't play without a sustain pedal....

Like opening up the tooth paste...and not having a tooth brush...

Or a waffle without strawberries..

#285557 - 04/20/10 01:03 PM Re: Thinking about a TYROS 3 ?....here some great demos and instruction
Dnj Offline

To each his own....
bottom line what does it sound like, ALWAYS.
enjoy your pedals boyz..

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-20-2010).]

#285558 - 04/20/10 02:11 PM Re: Thinking about a TYROS 3 ?....here some great demos and instruction
Diki Offline

But if it sounds like poo, no amount of SAYING it doesn't will change that.

#285559 - 04/20/10 02:31 PM Re: Thinking about a TYROS 3 ?....here some great demos and instruction
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I know I can't play without a sustain pedal....

So THAT'S the problem........Well then, somebody PLEASE give Fran a pedal .

Kidding, Fran. I couldn't resist. The Devil made me do it, and all that....

chas

PS: DO NOT RETALIATE .

#285560 - 04/20/10 07:43 PM Re: Thinking about a TYROS 3 ?....here some great demos and instruction
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
So THAT'S the problem........Well then, somebody PLEASE give Fran a pedal .

Kidding, Fran. I couldn't resist. The Devil made me do it, and all that....

chas

PS: DO NOT RETALIATE .

There is one fact I have learned years ago...Great players never have to toot their own horn.....and they never need to belittle any other persons ability...Only less than average players need to look at others flaws in ability to enforce their own insecure playing...that they are already aware to be less than average...

No retaliation intended.....

There are so many here on SZ that fall into the less than average category...

I can only think of one or two ..maybe three..."great players" here on SZ.....and they do not include my friends...

#285561 - 04/20/10 07:53 PM Re: Thinking about a TYROS 3 ?....here some great demos and instruction
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I can only think of one or two ..maybe three..."great players" here on SZ.....and they do not include my friends...

Hmmmmm....maybe I should start using my sustain pedal again

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online