SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#285415 - 04/12/10 04:12 AM Roland XV-5080 module
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi everyone,

Please excuse my ignorance, yet try to enlighten me please.

I have a Yamaha PSR-3000. I can lay my hands on a Roland XV-5080 Synthesizer Module. Can one of you gurus please explain to me in laymans terms what could be gained and if it would be worth the effort.

I understand that I might be able to play wave loops along with styles, similar to what the Audya is doing?

If I patch my PSR's midi voices to this unit (except for Mega voices), would the total sound be all that much better?

Thank you for any and all replies,
Henni

#285416 - 04/13/10 12:21 PM Re: Roland XV-5080 module
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Both units are incapable of remapping their MIDI messages to suit the other. Plus the 3K's MIDI implementation is pretty barebones. Yamaha and Roland's drum mapping are not on the same page entirely (Yamaha's fault here, GM was already a de facto standard when Yamaha decided they knew better...). And from what I've been told here several times, the 3k's MIDI out is a kind of 'all or nothing' affair, you can't pick and choose which Parts get sent and which don't.

Sadly, there aren't many arrangers where MIDI compatibility with other gear, and especially other gear from other manufacturers is given much priority at all. Korg seem the best at it, Roland a bit behind them, but Yamaha trails quite a bit behind. As Ian will no doubt jump in and say, these things are designed for HOME players... How DARE we try to use them for anything more complex!

Makes you wonder why they even bother to put a MIDI jack on the darn things any more (in fact, Yamaha DON'T on some of their low end ones) if the OS is so crippled as to make its' use moot...

This isn't a Yamaha bash, BTW. I believe that ALL arrangers could have MUCH better MIDI implementation than they do now, with the possible exception of Korg...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online