SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#285384 - 04/10/10 09:09 PM letting go
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Letting go

I just sold some congas that I really loved. I feel a bit sad about letting them go of them but I’m trying to raise funds for a new keyboard that I’ll be needing on some gigs coming up. Also I’m trying to get go of so much darn clutter that fills my house. I haven’t played congas in awhile and I have another set anyways. But these drums were special. I took some lessons from my Idol, Poncho Sanchez, he loved these drums. So did Luis Conte. I lent them to my then neighbor, David Romero, and he played some shows in Vegas with Earth Wind and Fire with them. So many great memories. I had some of my best times of my life with these babies and I will miss them.
What about you? Do you let cherished instruments go or do you keep them even if you’re not using them?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#285385 - 04/10/10 09:12 PM Re: letting go
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
yes, I'm sad about letting go of my congas but I didn't mean to post about it three times. weird....

[This message has been edited by montunoman (edited 04-10-2010).]

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#285386 - 04/11/10 01:46 AM Re: letting go
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by montunoman:
yes, I'm sad about letting go of my congas but I didn't mean to post about it three times. weird....

[This message has been edited by montunoman (edited 04-10-2010).]

Hehe, then you're maybe 3 times as sad as you thought at first.

Cheers
GJ

Btw, weird....

Topic lines differ in each post (upper / lowercase letters),
you probaby forgot to reload/update the page (F5) to see
the post, and wrote new?
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#285387 - 04/11/10 02:37 AM Re: letting go
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
No problem, it will just be some software glitch. I have deleted those other 2 postings for you.

#285388 - 04/11/10 02:45 AM Re: letting go
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I guess I do tend to hang on to instruments myself. I have about 10 electric guitars, 3 basses, 1 acoustic guitar, a Yamaha SY77 and TX802, Waldorf Pulse, 2 Roland JX8Ps,Roland JV880, Casio CZ101 and CZ1000, Yamaha PSR550 and Yamaha Motif6. But when I was younger I did sell instruments when I needed the money to upgrade. While I don't feel so attached to plastic and silicon instruments there is something about organic instuments like wooden guitars etc. that I love because I feel they are all unique. The congas would fall into that category too.

It sounds like those congas had a good life. I have seen both Poncho Sanchez and Luis Conte in the past so they did have some very high quality musical attention.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 04-11-2010).]

#285389 - 04/11/10 10:03 AM Re: letting go
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I still have 11 keyboards in here but admittedly I am only playing two of them mostly, Roland E 80, Tyros 2, and some times the Yam PSR9000 and the Technics KN800. the rest of them are in cases in the "vault". Sure is a lot of other perifial stuff in here though. I need to have a sale one of these days. I just get attached to everything and don't need to sell them so I don't.
Bebop

#285390 - 04/11/10 11:51 AM Re: letting go
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I have sold two John D’Agelico New Yorker guitars and three James D”aqesto guitars. Each one brought me pleasure and enough to purchase another instrument. Hindsight, yes I did wrong, But that’s hindsight.

John C.

#285391 - 04/11/10 01:06 PM Re: letting go
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I have 320 guitars, basses, mandolins, banjos, etc. What does that tell you?(and I miss the very few that slipped thru my hands).

Russ (Pack rat) Lay

#285392 - 04/12/10 07:58 AM Re: letting go
captain Russ Offline

Bruno, what WONDERFUL instruments. I had a D' Angelico, and recently bought a D'Angelico import, but most of mine are Gibsons (175, 295, 335, 235, 255, L-5, Barney Kessel, etc.) and, of course, old Fenders, including an original "No Caster", my first 59 Strat, a rough, great old 63 Jazz Bass, etc. Not my first preferences as a player, but certainly safe investments that appreciate nicely.

Bet you got the best out of those sweet old "boxes".

R.

#285393 - 04/12/10 11:03 AM Re: letting go
Bachus Offline

There is only one smart investment...

Its stradovarius. Andre Rieu has one.. best thing is that the instrument tripled his vallue now, because its in the hands of a famous musician.

Its not a stradavarius but Andre Rieu's Stradivarius... For todays market facts like these are more important for the vallue of an Instrument then the actuall make quallity

http://keyszone.boards.net

#285394 - 04/12/10 04:26 PM Re: letting go
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
[QUOTE]Originally posted by captain Russ:
[B]Bruno, what WONDERFUL instruments. I had a D' Angelico, and recently bought a D'Angelico import,

Russ, I have my eye on the D'Angelico import, I love the Arch Top Acoustic with a single pick-up preferably a floating pick-up like DeAmond. What are your thoughts on your guitar?

Thanks, John C.

#285395 - 04/13/10 08:27 AM Re: letting go
captain Russ Offline

John, I have the $1595.00 Excel single floater-probably the one you're looking at, and it's now one of my "go to" guitars. It's out of the Samick factory. Early ones had quality control problems, but looks like that's solved. A complaint from lot's of "purists" is the thickness of the poly coating. Doesn't bother me. I've been playing it through a JazzKat Phat Cat, which has an optional tube pre-amp. It's a keeper! I have a "beater":,a DeArmond X-155, which is a Samick produced from Guild molds. I also have the original Guild X-155, and, while I understand the people who like wood that "breathes", for the price, both the DeArmond and the D'Angelico are real keepers.

Another "bargain" jazz guitar (I play outside on patios a lot and have had lots of damage done by drunks) I have is the Godin Manhattan....two P-90's, a cutaway, small body (smaller than a Gibson 175); Canadian cherry, with a stained finish (net price-$995.00). I have the $699.00 Manhattan non-cutaway, single P-90 that was introduced first, but that's a little limiting, in some cases. Nice retro look! Neither quite measures up to the D'Angelico. The "floater" really makes a difference.

I would choose the import D'Angelico over all the other instruments I mentioned, and would be really pissed if it got damaged.

You can't go wrong with one.

Good to visit...

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 04-13-2010).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online