SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#285374 - 04/11/10 09:12 AM Investment returns on our equipment
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
As I can recall...every piece of gear I have owned has paid (monetary) for itself...with one exception to date...

The MedianStation remains the only keyboard that has not returned my investment on the gig..(I have chose to use it only three times so far)..Not that I could not have used it more, I just had other gear to fill the needs..For example I use the Prelude with the band for size and easy performing...and the G70 for solo, because it meets my needs better (Harmoniser)..

Now let me explain how the MediaStation has been worth every pennie or dollar.. )

The personal contact with Dom, who takes care of even the little concerns, even human error..He responds in ways that we can understand, and are able to work a problem...even if the problem is us.. ..

The other return for being a MS owner..the network of other owners worldwide..I have not run into a single individual that would not go out of their way to assist me or any other MS owner....I would also like to mention..the MS people are the most knowledgeable folks I have conversed with..

In this respect the MS return has been fulfilled many times over...

#285375 - 04/11/10 01:11 PM Re: Investment returns on our equipment
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Investment guitars is where it's at. Average appreciation of my collection: over 20 1/2% a year. All are depreciated to zero (except for the ones purchased in the last three years).I have 320 plus pieces; some worth 6 figures.

It's a comfortable retirement, but more importantly, I made a living playing the greatest instrument in the world. Love the keys, but, with the exception of the B-3's and possibly the suitcase Rhodes, you don't make a lot of money on old keyboards.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 04-11-2010).]

#285376 - 04/11/10 01:42 PM Re: Investment returns on our equipment
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Russ, here is one keyboard example that is doing well in today's market...The Roland SH101..retailed for under $300 new in 1984...The last one I owned ..sold for $75 used..they were found for even $50...

Roll forward to today..they are selling for $1,000 and more..

The Roland original strap on keyboard(Axis)..like wise sold for around $300 new in 1985....I have seen them sell for $1,500 in today's market...

To bad I didn't sit on some of my Roland stock (gear)..I opened in 1983 as a Roland dealer..

#285377 - 04/12/10 12:20 AM Re: Investment returns on our equipment
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Investment guitars is where it's at. Russ

Yep, for sure. I bought my 1964 Gibson ES-335 for $500 back in 1977. It is worth $10,000+ now ... not a bad return. But I gotta admit I never bought it as an investment. It is simply a guitar I love to play .... and it has grown old along with me. Wish now I'd bought a truck load of em back then then I could think about retiring early

But as I could never bear parting with it the value will never translate to actual money for me.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 04-12-2010).]

#285378 - 04/12/10 02:53 AM Re: Investment returns on our equipment
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
But as I could never bear parting with it the value will never translate to actual money for me.

I feel the same way about my vintage Roland Jupiter 8...I can't see me selling it.

Ian

#285379 - 04/12/10 07:41 AM Re: Investment returns on our equipment
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
In 1968 I bought a Gretch White falcon guitar and a vox super beatle amp..I wonder what they would be worth now?

#285380 - 04/12/10 09:00 AM Re: Investment returns on our equipment
captain Russ Offline

White Falcons are great old guitars, but, sadly, don't appreciate like some others. My favorite production guitar is Guild....same thing. Still, you'd probably be surprised to learn how much it's worth. I don't know that much about that brand, even though I have 8 or 9, but there are lots of on-line sources for that info.

Great old guitars! Like the leather "belt protector" and shape of the Bigsby arm. Always liked master volumes, which that guitar and most others of that brand have.

Enjoy,

Russ

#285381 - 04/12/10 09:18 AM Re: Investment returns on our equipment
captain Russ Offline

Hey, you guitar folks...WATCH OUT FOR ACITONE (SP?) in pick-guards! I've had a real time with a 1975 Gibson Howard Roberts. A year ago, I noticed the pick-up was corroded, there was white powder in the case, and the frets were also corroded.

Turns out, 30 years or so ago, on certain better guitars made by Gibson and Gretch, this material was used in the pick-guards. After 25-30 years, this stuff decomposes and causes all kinds of problems. The repair shop/dealer sold me a new case (told me to keep the old one and cover for a sale to a collector), had a repro pick-up built and sealed the pick-guard to prevent more damage.

Three months later...SAME THING! This time, I had a 5 laminations repro pick guard built ($250.00), the cover of the pick-up re-constructed, rust removed from the frets, etc.

All in all, the repair was in excess of $1000.00...all over some damn quirky material (I'm not even sure of the spelling) used for the pick-guard. The problem is on selected models and is much worse for collectibles in cases than on daily players exposed to air.

Thing is, the guitar "ain't that great" and wasn't that good of an investment (Bought for $810.00 in 1975, worth $3000.00 today...a little less on this one because of the repairs. That's a net of $1300.00 in 35 years. And, it's not even that good of a player...quirky thing with an oblong hole, floating pick-up and a third knob (passive tone control) that I can't get to do much.

Oh well...some times you win...sometimes you lose...sometimes it's a draw!

Mike, just as a precaution, I'd take that great old White Falcon out of the case and let it "air out" a week or so a month. That's one of the models that could be affected, depending on the pick-guard supplier, and I'm pretty sure that it's worth quite a bit more than the Howard Roberts.

Russ (still pick-don't grin as much as I used to) Lay

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 04-12-2010).]

#285382 - 04/12/10 04:27 PM Re: Investment returns on our equipment
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Thanks for the warning Russ
Never saw it happen yet, but a good reason to get them out of the cases..
Greetings
Fred

#285383 - 04/13/10 08:04 AM Re: Investment returns on our equipment
captain Russ Offline

Fred, my Guild buddy! How are you? I just bought a pristine X-150 and an X 155 with minimal wear from a little guy around here who roasts premium coffee and sells it to restaurants and at farmers market.

He's a Guild nut. I also bought the first issue of the Godin Fifth Avenue non-cutaway with a single P-90; then got the model with a cutaway and two P 90's. Really sounds like a 175. At $995.00 US,, the two pick-up model is GREAT! Better than a "beater", but less painful if it is damaged on the job than, say my new (to me) X-150.

Be great to hear from you more often! Still have the two Guilds you and I first talked about years ago.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 04-13-2010).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online