SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 11 of 12 < 1 2 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#285347 - 04/22/10 01:23 PM Re: Is OS4.0 a good reason to buy an Audya now?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think I can answer SOME of your questions, chas...

From what we have been told, the Audya does time-stretching on its' audio loops. Now, as this can only go so far without becoming apparent, all of the loops were recorded at three different tempi, so the loop for a fast guitar strum is not the same loop for a slower one (which is how it should be). But even so, there is probably a limit to how fast or slow you can take any loop, but in fairness, that's probably outside its' useful range. It is possible (but I not sure for certain) that it also has sliced up the beats in the drum section, which would allow for more tempo variation without artifacts. Kind of like ReCycle, or Acid loops, etc..

But what we are hearing BETWEEN chords on the Audya sounds awfully like a degree of latency as it streams the correct chord (or close to correct!) in response to the input, and there seems to be some not perfect cross-fading between old chord and new. Anyone that has played a guitar knows there is a certain degree of over-ring when you go between one chord and the next, particularly open chords. But this is plain flat out impossible when you are cross-cutting between two recordings. Not that MIDI is much better at this, just pointing it out...

Guitar is a VERY non-linear instrument. At best, we can only approximate it poorly, with whatever system we choose to use. Claiming that any system has succeeded in 'realism' is simply a case of fanboy excess. If you listen like a REAL guitarist, or one that knows what they are supposed to sound like, you can easily hear the flaws in ANY system.

#285348 - 04/22/10 03:10 PM Re: Is OS4.0 a good reason to buy an Audya now?
Tonewheeldude Offline

Sorry you feel that way chas. I do get a little excited because quite a few on here don't read posts properly and jump to conclusions, but mostly I get frustrated when someone that has not even seen or heard an Audya (other than the odd internet demo) comes along and makes a negative "statement of fact".

In Danny's thread I wanted to know if he had seen the Audya after he said he couldn't understand what all the fuss was about...and that the Audya is nothing special. And then later when Ian said the way Audya handles live guitars is S**T. I did try to be diplomatic and not put people or their instruments down.

The only reason I came in on this thread is because I was quoted. I try and stay out of it if possible as joining in generally serves no purpose other than to add to an already frustrating conversation.

As for the Hammond comments, I presume your talking about the Leslie sim thread. I did the same as everyone else; listened to the demos with an open mind. But I didn't hear anything to set it apart from virtually any other simulator which is why I called it average. And I was not talking about anyones playing ability either. I then had to explain why I thought it was average...i'm sorry if you feel that is treating you like a moron. It certainly wasn't my intention.

PS...thats not me on youtube!

[This message has been edited by Tonewheeldude (edited 04-22-2010).]

#285349 - 04/22/10 03:56 PM Re: Is OS4.0 a good reason to buy an Audya now?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Tonewheeldude:

Are you sure?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSFU7HkxMLU

Ian

#285350 - 04/22/10 04:01 PM Re: Is OS4.0 a good reason to buy an Audya now?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Are you sure?

Ian

http://www.hammond-organ.com/

#285351 - 04/22/10 04:03 PM Re: Is OS4.0 a good reason to buy an Audya now?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:

I'm relieved to hear that. Any examples of your work on the mighty 'B' that we could hear? I'm sure some of us Jimmy Smith wannabe's could learn something. BTW, I really enjoy Pierre Swaard. I even do my own version of 'Get on down with the B3 sound'. A fun, funky tune. Did he write it?

chas

chas

#285352 - 04/22/10 04:49 PM Re: Is OS4.0 a good reason to buy an Audya now?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
I'm relieved to hear that.

That makes two of us.

#285353 - 04/22/10 05:37 PM Re: Is OS4.0 a good reason to buy an Audya now?
Tonewheeldude Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Are you sure?

Ian

i had to check in the mirror...but i am relieved to say, its not me!

#285354 - 04/22/10 05:43 PM Re: Is OS4.0 a good reason to buy an Audya now?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
i had to check in the mirror...but i am relieved to say, its not me!

That's good to know...and, as Chas has hinted at respectfully...t'would B nice to B treated to TWD on a B.

#285355 - 04/22/10 06:05 PM Re: Is OS4.0 a good reason to buy an Audya now?
DannyUK Offline

Quote:

In Danny's thread I wanted to know if he had seen the Audya after he said he couldn't understand what all the fuss was about...and that the Audya is nothing special.

Hi TWD,

I never meant for that thread to sound negative although I did say later on that I could have worded the thread better. I'd love to try the Audya but it doesn't seem possible, there aren't any around here so I have to rely on demos for now at least. I know it isn't the same thing, but spent a whole day listening to every single demo/example/live show or whatever regarding the Audya because I was in two minds whether to get one or a T3, and to do it any justice at all I did have have the computer system plugged into a decent stereo system so I can make the best of what I could under the circumstances.

I don't really want to get into this all over again but what made me purchase the T3 over the Audya was the styles, not because they sounded better but because I prefered how they've been created and arranged on the T3 to suite a wider range of styles of music. That isn't a criticism, it was just my preference. After summerising it all, I decided in the end that I would be happier with a T3.

So since purchasing one, I've also wanted to get back in touch with this forum but found a lot of threads were centered towards the Audya, that's fine and not a problem, but then there were some members suggesting that it was so much more superior than anything else and I started to wonder what am I missing because from the demo's I heard (and some were absolutely incredible) I didn't think the Audya sounded so much superior than anything else including my PA1x, that was all. So really, all I was trying to do was urge members who own the Audya to post a summary of their experiences with the Audya and if owning one was a must, no skin off my nose because if the Audya is that much worth having I'd get one eventually to go along with the T3. I wasn't trying to get people to compete with each other's keyboards, I just wanted to hear more first hand experiences.

I hope that makes more sense.

Thanks
Danny.

#285356 - 04/22/10 07:55 PM Re: Is OS4.0 a good reason to buy an Audya now?
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
[B]I can't figure out why anyone hasn't commented about the fact that the Audya's guitar chords sound disjointed. there are several times where it sounds as if, as one chord ends and the other starts, there is a tiny gap or hesitation...

Not to mention that there is no such thing as an eight string guitar (OK, maybe there is, but hardly anyone plays it!)... If you have a strumming pattern on a major chord, and add the 6 and 9 to it, it is no longer a correctly voiced 6,9 chord. It is a major chord on one guitar, with a second guitar adding the 6 & 9. For it to be a correctly voiced 6,9, two of the six notes already strummed would have to STOP. They don't...

Right...and not just that, the DrumLoops go OUT OF TIME a lot, after playing for a while
the whole Audio Style structure dismantles itself, it goes crazy. Thats the case at
least on few Audyas that i used and tested.

Page 11 of 12 < 1 2 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online