SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#285090 - 04/07/10 02:56 PM Re: Arranger Cabin Fever.................
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I find this boredom thing strange...

I am not bored at all with what I have or the way I play...

Could I get "bored" with playing the same styles? Absolutely.....maybe I don't get bored this way...because... I don't rely on styles...I would rather play without the "auto play"...except as a drum machine...I have always enjoyed playing left hand bass, drums and what ever combination of accent sounds to use with piano or EP..

Secondly, I find it much better, to play over sequences (SMF) than playing with styles..It doesn't mean I would not use styles, just no where as often as most folks here...
As mentioned by Diki in another post..I find it much more fulfilling to play over SMF's...and as Diki mentioned..I believe the skill level is higher to play over sequences than styles (short clips of sequences)...The final comparison of performance is far superior to the customers that listen...You portray ..more like the record...and it can be personalized as you want by the way you play your parts..

If I had to sit through 4 hours listening to "arranger play" only....as an audience.....now you are talking "bored"..

60 or 70 arranger songs with out a break...puts me over the edge...

Try using MP3's and SMF's...play over them..you may find out what I am talking about...break out of the "arranger" mode...even if you turn off some arranger parts...The full blown style play..is over done..

Now!!!! When it comes to "new toys"...I need to play too..it is so boring ..not having new toys.. .....but not my trusted "go to" keyboard choice..

#285091 - 04/07/10 03:08 PM Re: Arranger Cabin Fever.................
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Apparently, I felt so strongly about this issue....I posted it twice...

#285092 - 04/07/10 03:11 PM Re: Arranger Cabin Fever.................
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I am glad you brought that up. These days, Ionly play out 3 or 4 times a week, but the gigs are very different. I play with a seniors band and use a Nord Electro with a Ketron SD2 and vArranger. Another day I need an arranger, and use my Roland G70 or Technics KN7000. Another day, I don't need an arranger and bring my Kurzweil K2661.

Coming up with different combinations and honing the sounds and styles, makes life and absolute joy.

Bernie

#285093 - 04/07/10 03:20 PM Re: Arranger Cabin Fever.................
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Chas......believe me Ive been playing professionally since I was 14 years old....For so many years playing keyboard, bass, guitar, drums, sax..was all I knew and being part of many band, doing thousands of shows with so many groups, which I always loved the camaraderie, creation process of arranging songs, and developing a certain sound, playing off each others talents on stage is unparalleled for 25 years on the road and something I really miss since due to economic times for the last 17 years that I've been a single act in order to survive in this wacky business. I understand your feeling and I can feel it in your writing that you are very passionate about playing music, your instrument, organ & keyboard playing & in many ways I wish times were different again like it was in the past. With all the choices out there it's easy to become a lazy musician. Man I remember sitting down at my B3 an throwing those toggle switches to start er' up and listening to the motors rotate would give me a major adrenalin boost rush my body. Watching a monster player like Tony Monaco or Joey D, or Mark Stein "Vanilla Fudge" play makes me go nuts also!!! WOW!! One instrument ....One man.... playing and making it an extension of his soul is what playing is all about, and I get that feeling no matter what instrument I hear someone playing being it a Acoustic Guitar, Flute, Oboe, Fiddle, Cornet, or a Tuba, if the love is put in to it, the love will flow thru it and out the other side!!. What's also sad is that audiences are starting to get a very apathetic attitude and couldn't care less how or why its happening due to the saturation of DJ's,KJ's, and every other kind of fake music there is out there and that's sad. So we curl up in our own slice of the pie and enjoy what WE like as WE still have that ability thank the lord...we can also share our feeling as we are doing here and share our music playing in ways unheard of 20 years ago via computer....
I used to be a buying gear nutcase but in the last few years I have really settled down and before I buy something I ask myself "DO I REALLY NEED THIS?" which most time, money no object, the answer is a resounding NO!! ....so where are we?.......what I need to earn on stage is one kind of gear.....what I love to play record etc in my home is a totally other scenario and gear but more toward what you have divulged in your post above ..I appreciate your passion and it hasn't gone unnoticed its very contagious and I caught some of it when I was reading your reply.
hang in there buddy...lock yourself in your studio crank up your C1 organ and let er rip!!!! We'll talk more......i hope others chime in also here.

d.

Donny, I have to say, what you wrote above is one of the best, well thought out, posts that I've seen on Synthzone. Honest, introspective, and relatable. Didn't know you had it in you . I think most of the long-suffering pro's can relate to the career scenario that you described (and described so well). Great post (and you know we don't agree on much ).

chas

#285094 - 04/07/10 03:34 PM Re: Arranger Cabin Fever.................
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Me, I don't care whether it's full band, smaller combo, or just OMB. I get the vast majority of enjoyment from the MUSIC I play, rather than a revolving door of GEAR I play it on.

So, for me, with the G70 I simply have a tool sufficiently good to not embarrass me with any sound, and let it go at that. My audiences would MUCH rather be wowed with great playing than a great sound and maybe not so great playing! I must confess, I have got to the point where it's VERY hard to find a situation other than TOTL recording where the G70 doesn't cover all the bases. Not perhaps the best 'pure' arranger out there, but by FAR the best all-rounder, good for everything, good enough for what style mode I DO use (I'm with Fran on this one, or he's with me, whatever ).

I simply don't see the point of a variety of rigs for different situations. ONE piece of gear you are intimately familiar with beats a roomful of gear you have to stop and think 'How do I do THIS on this one?' in the heat of battle... On this point I'm with chas. Except it isn't the B3 I want to crank up. It's the G70. But for the same reasons...

#285095 - 04/07/10 05:30 PM Re: Arranger Cabin Fever.................
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
If I had to sit through 4 hours listening to "arranger play" only....as an audience.....now you are talking "bored"..
Try using MP3's and SMF's...play over them..you may find out what I am talking about...break out of the "arranger" mode...even if you turn off some arranger parts...The full blown style play..is over done..

Many would dissagree with you Fran here but I actually agree with you especially in a dancing situation every night....gotta mix it up....good post!......

Diki, good post ...I dumped my G70 for ONE reason only...the weight and size period.
Other then that I enjoyed everything feature wise it offered.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-07-2010).]

#285096 - 04/07/10 05:32 PM Re: Arranger Cabin Fever.................
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Donny, I have to say, what you wrote above is one of the best, well thought out, posts that I've seen on Synthzone. Honest, introspective, and relatable. Didn't know you had it in you . I think most of the long-suffering pro's can relate to the career scenario that you described (and described so well). Great post (and you know we don't agree on much ).
chas

Chas thank you and sometimes I scare myself with my thoughts, but you definitly hit a nerve and I had to share my feelings with you here. Wish we were a bit closer.

#285097 - 04/07/10 06:50 PM Re: Arranger Cabin Fever.................
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
On one hand I agree totally with Donny's original post. However, given the following factors, such as growing older, the business changing, family needs taking over, ect and ect, it is different at least for me today. I had the B 3 and I once thought that if we could sound like the Vanilla Fudge, we could rule the world. Those days are gone. Like Gary, I play hundreds of gigs per year with the arranger, I make a lot of people happy, and quite frankly I'm happy with that. I gave up my last band because we had so few gigs I could never get the same players each time, so eventually I could do more with my arrnager than with a pick up band.

Joe

#285098 - 04/08/10 01:08 AM Re: Arranger Cabin Fever.................
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Wow, we do mix many of our thoughts into one, I see it a bit different.

Part of the joy of playing a keyboard is the excitement and anticipation of the arrival of a new one. Now that I am retired I am still anticipating and still getting excited about the arrival of a new keyboard. I don’t drink, smoke or gamble but I love keyboards. Wanting a new keyboard will stop when I stop.

Being bored is a good thing it is the food that turns a fair playing into a great player. Another mountain to climb, and then another. I would never want to lose my ability to become bored, it’s a blessing. The big question is how am I handling my boredom.

IMHO, John C.

#285099 - 04/08/10 11:57 AM Re: Arranger Cabin Fever.................
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Thing is, as I see it, if a new keyboard doesn't make you play completely new stuff, make you play better than you did before, make you do new techniques you never tried before, how is that musical growth?

An average piano player on a Steinway D isn't a hair better than on an old Samick. But a great player on a Steinway D is STILL a great player on an old Samick!

99% of it all, in the end, is still YOU.

To be honest, most modern MOTL arrangers, let alone TOTL arrangers (and even some BOTL arrangers) are capable of wowing anyone in the hands of a good player, and of providing all the sounds needed for just about anything you need for the foreseeable future. So why not just take whatever energy you expend on researching, lusting after and procuring new toys, and channel it into the PLAYING instead?

That's where any improvement is going to be the most apparent anyway. Short term, sure, your audience and you might notice a change. But after a few weeks, it'll wear off, and if you are still playing the same old licks and tunes you played before, the same way, there won't be anywhere NEAR the improvement that all that money spent was SUPPOSED to bring you...

Focus all you energy and attention on PLAYING, not gear, and while you may not be a much happier person for it (wish I could play like Herbie Hancock a LOT more than I wish I had an Audya!), you'll certainly be a better player for it..!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online