SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#284555 - 04/04/10 11:57 AM Styles on CVP-509 not on Tyros 3
Beakybird Offline

I was going through the CVP-509 styles I received, revoicing some for my PSR-S910. Most of them sound excellent. The two or three Swing/Jazz styles are pretty good converted but nothing to write home about.

There are a few pop styles that sound great - one sounds like "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" and the other sounds like a Coldplay song.

Here are the styles that to my knowledge are on the CVP-509 but not on the T3:

Ballad:
1. 80'sPianoBallad
2. 80'sSynthPiano
3. PowerBallad1
4. SlowOrchBld

Entertainment:

1. EtherealSynth
2. Learning2-4
3. Learning4-4
4. Learning6-8
5. EtherealHymn

Latin:

1. SlowBarBossa

Pop&Rock

1. 70'sEasyPop
2. 70'sSwingPiano
3. ChartPianoShfl
4. BritRockPop
5. '90'sRockBld

Swing/Jazz:

1. JazzGtrClubFast

If there are some that I missed, please add or subtract from this list.

Beakybird

#284556 - 04/04/10 04:45 PM Re: Styles on CVP-509 not on Tyros 3
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Larry,
I'm at work right now, but I can tell you right off that:
4. BritRockPop
5. '90's RockBld
are in the T3.
Eric

#284557 - 04/05/10 04:57 AM Re: Styles on CVP-509 not on Tyros 3
Beakybird Offline

Thanks for the correction. I caught another mistake. This is what I have now:

Ballad:
1. 80'sPianoBallad
2. 80'sSynthPiano
3. PowerBallad1
4. SlowOrchBld

Entertainment:

1. EtherealSynth
2. Learning2-4
3. Learning4-4
4. Learning6-8
5. EtherealHymn

Latin:

1. SlowBarBossa

Pop&Rock

1. 70'sEasyPop
2. 70'sSwingPiano

Swing/Jazz:

1. JazzGtrClubFast

In addition, the CVP-509 has a group of piano only styles. Most of these are old styles that have appeared on other top of the line models.

It looks like the T3 has more total styles than the CVP-509. I've never heard the CVP-509. The activity director at one of the nursing homes I go to says that she's buying one (she said, "top of the line Yamaha console with all the bells and whistles"), so that will be exciting.

Beakybird

#284558 - 04/05/10 06:25 AM Re: Styles on CVP-509 not on Tyros 3
Dnj Offline

As a pro player I only use about 30 styles that are totally custom tweaked for my needs in every genre including OTS sounds also....I could pretty much play just about any type of songs I need to do on stage.
I dont see the need for all these styles most just don't work for my needs. Too many times I hear people using the wrong styles, tempos, variations, for songs. I am also not a big fan of stripping out style parts either sought of defeats the purpose if you get my drift. Enjoy whatever you use these are just my thoughts.

d.

#284559 - 04/05/10 07:02 AM Re: Styles on CVP-509 not on Tyros 3
Beakybird Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
As a pro player I only use about 30 styles that are totally custom tweaked for my needs in every genre including OTS sounds also....I could pretty much play just about any type of songs I need to do on stage.
I dont see the need for all these styles most just don't work for my needs. Too many times I hear people using the wrong styles, tempos, variations, for songs. I am also not a big fan of stripping out style parts either sought of defeats the purpose if you get my drift. Enjoy whatever you use these are just my thoughts.

d.

Yes, Mr. Pro. I'm sure that you can whittle that down to two styles - one 4/4 and one 3/4 and do all your material.

I happen to enjoy the nuances that different styles bring out. The arrangers of 25 years ago only had 30 styles. I am happy that I have an arranger with hundreds of styles, and my audience appreciates it as well.

Beakybird

#284560 - 04/05/10 07:10 AM Re: Styles on CVP-509 not on Tyros 3
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Most keyboard have more styles and genres than anyone will ever use. Some styles, however, stand out and do a great job for a host of songs, which narrows the selection quite a bit.

Fortunately, there are scads of third-party styles that are song specific with perfect intros, endings and tuned OTS settings. The generous folks that create, tune, convert and post these styles should be commended for their tireless efforts that often go unheralded by those that download their highly creative works.

Consequently, the combination of excellent, onboard styles, and a wealth of outstanding third-party styles, allows me the ability to provide much more variety to my performances. And, many of the audiences I perform for provide favorable comments along this lines.

As you can see, the few styles that you do not have in the Tyros3 that are in the CVP-509 are available at numerous sites. In most instances they'll play perfectly in your keyboard. If they do not, it's just a matter of sitting down with the keyboard's onboard Style Creator program and transform them into the quality you wish to hear.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#284561 - 04/05/10 07:36 AM Re: Styles on CVP-509 not on Tyros 3
Dnj Offline

Beaky as you know that style is just a another tool for the performer...it's how you play them as a musician that counts.
I use my ears

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-05-2010).]

#284562 - 04/05/10 11:43 AM Re: Styles on CVP-509 not on Tyros 3
Beakybird Offline

Well the thread is about new styles coming from the CVP-509.

DNJ, your response is like an artist forum where people are talking about a new pallet of colors being available, and someone piping in, "I'm a pro, and I only use black and white. Those are the only two colors you really need if you're a good artist."

The joy for me of playing an arranger is to be able to accompany hundreds of kind of rhythm sections with dozens of kinds of instruments that I can access to play along.

I am so happy that I am getting so much style mileage out of the PSR-S910. First, all of the T2 styles that weren't on board sounded great. Then, with a little bit of tweaking, almost all the T3 styles that weren't on the T2 sounded fantastic. Now I'm happy to get an additional 5-6 great styles.

The S900 to the S910 was a great upgrade!

Beakybird

#284563 - 04/05/10 03:28 PM Re: Styles on CVP-509 not on Tyros 3
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Larry you're in for a treat if one of your ADs is purchasing a 509. I have the 307 and imho the Claivinova line is in a class by itself..........and I love my s910.

Today, I met up with the buyer of my Pa2xPro a middle eastern pro who goes on tours. When he saw the pristine condition my Pa2xpro was in he didn't even want to fire it up to try it. Not sure why because he was pretty insistent on meeting where there was some electrical power. Now, with all that extra cash...................ah never mind

#284564 - 04/05/10 04:15 PM Re: Styles on CVP-509 not on Tyros 3
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
The CVP-509 is a beaut! I played one on my last tour, and it was sheer pleasure.

I did miss having the wheels, but you get used to using the pedal for pitch bending, but as far as piano sound and touch, there's very few that can rival it.

The styles were superb.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online