SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#284525 - 04/07/10 09:25 AM Re: Roland GW8
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by montunoman:
It has been a bit frustrating trying to find many demonstrations of this keyboard. I heard a cumbia (not bad- better than my Yamaha) and then a few technos, and a odd sounding ska. Isn't this a Latin board? you'd think they would be promoting the Latin styles.

Anyways I think Diki and mc are right. I'm not likely not gonna find what I'm looking for from a $1000 keyboard- but from the on- line demos available it's impossible to know...

Try to find a good used older model Ketron X1 which still sound great.. then you could still play many of the newer ketron latin styles SD1 etc,.. thru it..saving money and still getting the good latin sound you need.

#284526 - 04/08/10 11:32 AM Re: Roland GW8
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
For under $1000, for all its' faults, I still don't think you are going to find a better Latin music arranger than the GW-8L. VERY light, and very good Latin sounds... If the styles don't all blow you away, you can always try converting styles that you DO like.

Mind you, what DO you like so far? You can't convert Ketron styles, because the percussion is an audio loop. If nothing else other than Ketron floats your Latin boat, you may be stuck with having to get the real deal...

To Fran.... does the Prelude come in the same -L -A and -O variants as the GW-8? Thing is, each of those variants had an additional 64MB of samples for the World section, so without those, it's not capable of playing the World styles.

#284527 - 04/08/10 11:59 AM Re: Roland GW8
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
For under $1000, for all its' faults, I still don't think you are going to find a better Latin music arranger than the GW-8L. VERY light, and very good Latin sounds... If the styles don't all blow you away, you can always try converting styles that you DO like.

Mind you, what DO you like so far? You can't convert Ketron styles, because the percussion is an audio loop. If nothing else other than Ketron floats your Latin boat, you may be stuck with having to get the real deal...

To Fran.... does the Prelude come in the same -L -A and -O variants as the GW-8? Thing is, each of those variants had an additional 64MB of samples for the World section, so without those, it's not capable of playing the World styles.

YES

#284528 - 04/08/10 05:09 PM Re: Roland GW8
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Has anybody heard salsa, merengue, bachata, and cha cha cha on the GW8? The demos feature some nice cumbias. On youtube Cesar Guzman gives a demostration at the 2010 winter NAMM show and someone asks him about the salsa styles on the GW8 and he kind of changes the subject quickly. Strange...

If the other latin style sound anything like the cumnbias I think I'll get one. But so far I haven't found any demos that feature other latin styles besides cumbia. Wierd...

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#284529 - 04/08/10 05:22 PM Re: Roland GW8
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Are there NO Roland dealers in your area? As cheap as the GW-8L is, somebody is likely to carry it...

You might also post some questions to GW8-L users at Roland-arranger.com. We are starting to get a small community of GW-8 users there, got an active Bug forum (few small issues, most of which are down to 'why isn't it a Yamaha? ), and some of them might be in a position to comment about the authenticity of the styles. I'm afraid I'm old school Latin, myself, so I can't really comment on whether the modern styles are accurate or not...

#284530 - 04/08/10 05:41 PM Re: Roland GW8
montunoman Offline

Diki, I've called all the Guitar Centers in Texas and they don't carry it. Arrangers other than Yamaha are hard to find around here

I'll check out that roland forum. Thanks for your input!

#284531 - 04/08/10 06:09 PM Re: Roland GW8
montunoman Offline

Another thing: could anyone kindly direct me to a list on styles on the GW8?

#284532 - 04/08/10 07:38 PM Re: Roland GW8
Fran Carango Offline

#284533 - 04/08/10 07:47 PM Re: Roland GW8
Fran Carango Offline

download the style list here from my files..
http://justintimeband.homestead.com/~site/Scripts_UnderConstruction/UnderConstruction.dll?CMD=CMDViewSite&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fjustintimeband.homestead.com%2FXFER.html&HS_ID=1756337081 &REFERRAL=SB

#284534 - 04/09/10 11:21 AM Re: Roland GW8
Fran Carango Offline

If anyone wants to download the GW8/Prelude style list from my site...I will keep it up another day....Use the link above and open the icon..

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online