SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#283988 - 03/28/10 11:35 AM Re: OT - Neighbour was burgled
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Given a choice of being robbed and Tazered and robbed and shot, guess which I would choose?

We ought to have a program where ALL guns are exchanged for Tazers. No questions asked... villains and law abiding citizens alike. Then use the death penalty without appeal for anyone that uses a gun on a human, for any reason whatsoever. Bet you THAT would bring your murder stats in line with the rest of the civilized world...

You know, I see an awful lot of prejudice in the way Americans look at some other cultures... Take Middle Eastern countries, where walking around with a big sword or ceremonial knife is considered a man's right. See a video or newscast of them standing around in their white gowns, waving their scimitars, and 99% of Americans go 'what a stupid, primitive culture they have', all the while ignoring their own culture's fascination with firearms. I see little difference between the two, and I'm afraid my reaction is just the same...

What a stupid, primitive culture they have...

#283989 - 03/29/10 03:45 AM Re: OT - Neighbour was burgled
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Well said Diki!
You and I are on the same wavelength.....except perhaps on arrangers

#283990 - 03/29/10 06:38 AM Re: OT - Neighbour was burgled
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Well said Beaky Bird.

I don't know how you live with yourself if you shot or beat someone with a club just because they wanted your property.

Here in the UK gun crimes are still relatively rare although I have no doubt that they are increasing.

One of the biggest rise is the number of young black males from gangs who are killing each other as they emulate what they see already happening in the US and other gun crazy countries.

A good home security sytem appeals more to me than harming others. If you don't have a gun the you can't harm anyone - I know I'm being naieve but I'm thankful that I don't live in a country where you need to own a gun (yet).

KF

#283991 - 03/29/10 07:02 AM Re: OT - Neighbour was burgled
Beakybird Offline

Now if every adult without a criminal record had a machine gun and a hand grenade that would make the country much, much safer. It's only logical.

Beakybird

#283992 - 03/29/10 07:11 AM Re: OT - Neighbour was burgled
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
Now if every adult without a criminal record had a machine gun and a hand grenade that would make the country much, much safer. It's only logical.

Beakybird

Hmmmmm! Let me think about this. Should I try to break into a home, rape their daughter and steal the possessions of someone
that would hold the door open and help me load the stuff in my car? Or, would I do the same at the home of someone who will blow my freakin' brains and and shove a grenade up my a$$? Jeez, I just don't know which door to open. Give me a break!

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#283993 - 03/29/10 07:16 AM Re: OT - Neighbour was burgled
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Gunnar Jonny:
Guess that's only natural, just as if there are less cars, wouldn't it be less
car accidents who cause death or other damage/injury?

But nobody buys a car SPECIFICALLY to be able to kill someone. Car accidents and deaths are an unintended result of their use for another completely different purpose. Let's face up to reality. The large percentage of handguns in America are bought for the sole purpose of killing someone (should the owner decide that is necessary for whatever reason). They honestly have no other purpose. Don't bring up the 'sporting use' issue, either. That's like saying that cars are bought to race... Sure, you CAN do that with a car (although it's dangerous), but it's not the overwhelming PRIMARY reason people buy cars.

And people don't buy handguns because they are determined to get a perfect '10' in the bullseye at a target shoot If that was the case, they could leave them at the range...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 03-29-2010).]

#283994 - 03/29/10 07:47 AM Re: OT - Neighbour was burgled
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Actually, the vast majority of handguns that are used to kill someone in the U.S. are STOLEN--not purchased. And, I think this would be a safe bet in most parts of the world. Most people that purchase handguns in the U.S. are law abiding and do so for two reasons, self/home protection, and sporting purposes. CRIMINALS DON'T BUY GUNS--THEY STEAL THEM. And, if you have been convicted of a felony in this nation, by law you cannot purchase any form of firearm.

In many instances, where handguns are used competitively, the guns are either transported to the range in locked cases that are placed in the car's trunk, and the ammunition is in a separate, locked case. In most states, this is required by law. The only folks that ignore that law are usually criminals who stole the guns to begin with. At some of the larger ranges, they have special lockers just for the purpose of storing the gun at the range.

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#283995 - 03/29/10 08:08 AM Re: OT - Neighbour was burgled
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
But nobody buys a car SPECIFICALLY to be able to kill someone.

Good point Diki. I think travlin'easy is right, if anyone planning to use a car
or weapon to kill they will steal instead of buy just to try hide any traces.

Cheers
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#283996 - 03/29/10 09:38 AM Re: OT - Neighbour was burgled
Beakybird Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Hmmmmm! Let me think about this. Should I try to break into a home, rape their daughter and steal the possessions of someone
that would hold the door open and help me load the stuff in my car? Or, would I do the same at the home of someone who will blow my freakin' brains and and shove a grenade up my a$$? Jeez, I just don't know which door to open. Give me a break!

Then why are the states with the most crime the ones with the most lax gun laws?

Maybe if every one had a nuclear war head in their home, there would be no crime whatsoever. Who would break into a home knowing that the owner might be crazy enough to blow up the whole city? Give everyone a dirty bomb, because to paraphrase the NRA, "Dirty bombs don't kill people, people do."

Beakybird

#283997 - 03/29/10 11:38 AM Re: OT - Neighbour was burgled
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Diki:
[B]Given a choice of being robbed and Tazered and robbed and shot, guess which I would choose?

thats the entire problem with your false scenario. You have zero choice. A burglar gives you no choice and takes all the choice. If he wants to steal a gun or buy one on the black market, no law can stop him because he is already behaving outside the law. The worst that can happen to him is that he could be shot and killed by a citizen trying to protect themselves and their possesions. The worst thing that could happen to a perfectly law abiding citizen is that their loved ones could be killed or mentally scarred for life.

Those are real choices. Now role your eyes and take your pic ......

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online