Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#283779 - 04/19/10 01:41 PM Re: Roland BA-330
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Lewis:
I must be the odd one here. Just got my BA330 on Friday. Busy weekend so not much time to play with it. However my first impression is it just doesn't have enough guts to handle my G1000 and vocals. I may send it back.
I'm thinking maybe a small powered mixer and one of my Carvin LM12's from my main PA would do a better job for the small gigs.
Wanted to use the BA330 on a stand behind me but if you take it off the floor you loose bass response big time
Again only a quick first impression. I have to spend more time with it.
In the mean time can anyone recommend a good small powered mixer to check out? Something to drive a single 12" or 10: speaker.
Thanks

Bill in NJ

Bill something is definitely wrong...check your settings..again...
Are you using a low impedance mic? into the mic channel , switched to mic gain?

I have set the G70 channel volume to 1-2 O'clock, channel 4,..the Samson Q7 mic to 12-1 O'clock in channel 1....and the master volume to 1-2 O'clock..this gives me plenty of volume and head room to boot..

I can understand if you are not getting the Big bottom you are use too...but volume should not be a problem...

I also use the Edirol(M-10dx) mixer once in a while...it gives additional gain/control without the worry of peaking out..

Also are you running on AC or using battery power (it is fine), but maybe the eco switch is on to preserve battery life..it will diminish volume some..

Did you buy a new unit, or possibly a refurbished unit? ..It should not make a difference anyway..

#283780 - 04/19/10 02:13 PM Re: Roland BA-330
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Capt. Russ
Love the Carvin stuff. The LM12's are killer for the price. They don't make that $199 mixer anymore. Smallest one now looks nice but is $350. I may go for it anyway and have a backup to my main system.

Fran--Mic sounds fine. Reverb is OK and usable. Used only AC power so far. For G1000 Main vol. on full/channel 4 on about 2 o'clock. Bass and treble on about 2 o'clock also. Tried it on a stand first then on the floor.
Yes -new unit from Sweetwater.
Soon as I post this I'm going downstairsto the studio and hope I'm wrong about it. It would fill a nich in my setup
Why don't you come over and show me the error of my ways HA!
Thanks

Bill in NJ

#283781 - 04/19/10 02:52 PM Re: Roland BA-330
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Well, I can't be specific, but I thought the BA330 was "O.K." I only tried Bill's in my office, and it was sitting next to a Bose Compact, so it wasn't comparing apples to apples.
I certainly wouldn't buy one unless I specifically had to have battery power.
Nothing in particular, just overall less than spectacular and at that price I'd want spectacular at least.
DonM

#283782 - 04/19/10 05:24 PM Re: Roland BA-330
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Well, I can't be specific, but I thought the BA330 was "O.K." I only tried Bill's in my office, and it was sitting next to a Bose Compact, so it wasn't comparing apples to apples.
I certainly wouldn't buy one unless I specifically had to have battery power.
Nothing in particular, just overall less than spectacular and at that price I'd want spectacular at least.
DonM

The BA330 for my intended purpose..is a perfect match..I wanted a all contained PA system, that was stereo, has a mixer with multiple channels and effects..

The fact that it is very portable and battery powered are pluses...

My need was to have a quick set up for the 80 or less as spec'd by Roland...audience..

I also consider it a great value even at $500 or more...at least it is discounted...and I am not paying list price as the Bose owners..
For this under 80 people venue..I take the BA330 over the Bose Compact....features, and a quicker, easier set up, makes the difference for me..and the extra $500 can go to my "toy budget"...fund..

I also played the BA330 and Bose compact...side by side for several hours..finding the BA330 fuller and warmer than the Bose.....The Compact has a bit more power, but is tuff determining at what point before it does not handle the sound source...It easily started to clip, where the BA330 did not..

Now after we did the RAC feature of the Edirol mixer on the Bose..it came to life and added the fullness that I thought was over matched by the BA330 initially..

BTW: the RAC also does magic on the BA330 too....but my purpose is mostly to use it as a self contained mixer/pa...

#283783 - 04/20/10 07:32 AM Re: Roland BA-330
Bill Lewis Offline

Well I did what I said and tried the BA330 again with different settings and sound sources. Vocals - very good, Organ -forget it, Piano- good, G1000 - not good. Surprizingly it sounded best with a CD player doing some Groove Jazz with heavy bass.
I did an A/B against my Carvin LM12 hooked up to may Yamaha 68S mixer. Now I know the Yamaha has a lot more power so I tried to keep that in mind. The LM12 just blew the socks off the BA330. I then tried it against one of my old Peavey Impulse 100's, a 10" PA speaker. Again the BA330 came in second.
My feeling is the BA330 has a fantastic mixer section, good reverb, great portability, built like a tank, and would be great for some light keyboard and vocals in a small situation. Unfortunatley even in my NH gigs I kick it up with some good shuffles or whatever that have some solid bass/drums. .
Where I really see this thing shine is using the battery power for an outside gig for an acoustic guitarist/singer.

So I'm now in the market for a small powered mixer that can act as a backup to my Yamaha EMX512 and then be used with just one LM12 for the small stuff. Two pieces instead of one but thats the tradeoff. I'm trying to downsize and have the least amount of gear.
Next up- the keyboard that will do it all and replace some of the ones I have.--Lookout-, here we go! [url=1http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/icons/icon10.gif][url=1http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/icons/icon10.gif][url=1http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/icons/icon10.gif]1http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/icons/icon10.gif[/url][/url][/url]

Bill in NJ

#283784 - 04/20/10 07:45 AM Re: Roland BA-330
Dnj Offline

http://www.onlyfactorydirect.net/p/12%22+USB+Port+Active+Speaker+JUST+ARRIVED%21++%7C+PP1204CA/powered+speaker+active+loudspeaker/218/

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-20-2010).]

#283785 - 04/20/10 08:06 AM Re: Roland BA-330
Fran Carango Offline

Bill, can you determine what is different between the Roland piano, that sounds good...and the Roland g1000, that does not?

Have you changed the EQ settings of the G1000 in the user programs...or do you need to?

What is the problem when you say not good? Is volume the problem, unbalanced sound?

Maybe if there is a specific thing to address we can figure it out..

There are no miracles with sound systems..if it does not meet our needs..find something that will...We have to use the right tool for the right job..

As for miracle sound systems...they stopped making one in the 80's..Roland Cube 100....still the best "big gun" for me even today...

Like all sound systems there are limits...The intended use of the BA330..I think it shines...when you exceed the designed use..as in other gear.....the shine is not as bright..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 04-20-2010).]

#283786 - 04/21/10 06:17 AM Re: Roland BA-330
Bill Lewis Offline

DNJ Thanks for the link. Looks like a killer unit for the price. I'm trying to have my equipment cover as many bases as possible. Downsized my car now have to downsize my equipment. I already have two great 12" speakers so by adding a small powered mixer I can get by using one for small stuff even if it means carrying two pieces instead of one. I also bring along the Crate KX220 which serves as a backup PA, addition to the normal PA, or a good standalone for a small gig. But damn its heavy.

Fran

What I meant was the Roland piano is just that , only a piano. That and a vocal would sound OK with the BA330. If I go to the G1000 and add in the style backing it doesn't cut it. Anyway its gone and I got killed on the shipping. Have to pay Sweetwater their shipping cost to me of $21 then my shipping cost to them which was $38. with insurance. An expensive experiment.

Thanks for the input.

#283787 - 04/21/10 07:42 AM Re: Roland BA-330
Dnj Offline

Bill sorry to hear the B330 didn't work out for you.....ask Fran about the Power Podiums he uses them with his band.

#283788 - 04/21/10 09:01 AM Re: Roland BA-330
Bill Lewis Offline

I'm snake bit now. I'm not buying anything till I can see it, touch it, hear it, ,etc.
Store just don't carry the stuff we are interested in. No GW8, Roland Amps, whatever. Two powered Podiums run off the stereo outs of my Crate KX220 sounds intriguing but will 8" speakers handle the bottom end. Had a pair of unpowered 8" in my studio with my Yamaha mixer and they sounded great f but no real bottom for the arranger.
Now if I could only get together with FRAN and demo his revolving circus of new stuff I'd be a happy guy.

Bill in NJ

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online