SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#283708 - 03/23/10 11:15 AM Best Current Microphone Contenders???
BlkNotes Offline

Hello;

What is the best microphone for live on stage use? One that has a smooth balance sound with a warm tube like sound.

The most common types used in the past on this forum were Sennheiser 835/845, EV 767, Shure SM 58. What is the next step above these in terms of sound quality ?

Thanks;
BN

#283709 - 03/23/10 11:41 AM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
There are allot more factors involved, yes a good microphone is always the best way to start, but

Your voice is a factor, is it thin, boomy, mid-range peaked?

What type of system is this going through, is it a very "pro" level type or is it a couple of inexpensive speakers on a stick?

Are you going through a keyboard first?

What type of sound board?

What type of functions do you usually play, what kind of volume?

Do you use stage monitors? do you have others members on stage with you?

Sorry for all the questions but there is allot more to picking equipment than just going what do he use.....,

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#283710 - 03/23/10 12:08 PM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
BlkNotes Offline

Hi Frankieve

See andwers under your questions

Your voice is a factor, is it thin, boomy, mid-range peaked?

1 male--deeper voice, 1 male midrange dominant/ on the thinner side, 1 female/ thinner whispy

What type of system is this going through, is it a very "pro" level type or is it a couple of inexpensive speakers on a stick?

Pro Level--2 ways 15" bass driver, high quality powered mixer

Are you going through a keyboard first?

Not through a keyboard

What type of sound board? Yamaha EMX series & Allen % Heath

What type of functions do you usually play, what kind of volume?

Dances ( continental type--i.e. Ballroom, 50/60s rock n roll, 100-200 people )Moderate levels

Do you use stage monitors? do you have others members on stage with you?

2 Stage monitor are used. 3 members total

Sorry for all the questions but there is allot more to picking equipment than just going what do he use.....,

[/B][/QUOTE]

#283711 - 03/23/10 05:06 PM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
frankieve Offline

I can only give you my advice on the mics I carry.

The lines I carry are

Audio-Technica
Audix
Behringer
Samson
Shure

Each of these companies make a good better and best. I would stay clear of the good line and go for the best or better.

Audix seems to have the most defined differences in mics, with high feedback rejection and built in bass proximity.

Shure has pretty much the staple sound that everybody tends to go for, especially the Beta series.

Audio-Technica's higher end is a very good detailed mic.

Samson is the best bang for the buck.

The last question is what amount do you want to spend, that will determine your mic selection.

thanks

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#283712 - 03/23/10 05:55 PM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
i do a lot of singing at the keyboard: standards and jazz. my voice is pretty standard in range and timbre. I used the SM58 for years, just because everyone said to i guess. 10 years ago i went with the AKG D880 after reading reviews about it being "sexy"and colored toward the hi's and lo's..going into Mars (r.i.p.--remember them?)
and trying everything, and agreeing that it was indeed sexy. i found the Sennheisers next best but almost toooo smooth and even, kinda boring. and mucho dinero. the D880 was
$99, and for me much better than the sm58.

6 months ago i decided to try another mic audition at Guitar Center. The AKG D5 blew them all away to me, and it blew away my D880 too. and also just $99.
I've always gotten good feedback on my singing, but lately everyone is commenting on how great it's becoming. when I sing into the D5, it's like everything is full yet crystal clear at the same time, and i can really express myself with it in ways i never could with any other mic. I suggest you try it. I don't think it's a good mic for females, Just male singers like me with a lot of midrange.
The SM58 seems to still be the mic of choice for women, and for high tenor males. If your voice tends to a light tenor/baritone, I think you will love how the D5 picks up the soft lows and projects them.

------------------
Miami Mo

#283713 - 03/23/10 06:24 PM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
zuki Offline

You might try the Shure wireless system, if you desire movement. It's the best thing I've ever done and you learn to work your voice with it.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#283714 - 03/23/10 09:32 PM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Mo,
I totally agree on the AKG D5. It's just as you described.
I have a BUNCH of mics including Sennheiser 855, Shure SM58, Samson Q7 and R5, Heil, EV 767, CAD, etc., but I keep coming back to the D5. All the others certainly have their strong points and are great in various applications, but I like the AKG best.
DonM

#283715 - 03/24/10 06:40 AM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
gcbin Offline

Loc: Huntington, Indiana USA
I personally use an Audix OM6 which I love. Before that, I used the EV767, but have not touched it since I purchased the Audix.
Here is an interesting review on mics: http://www.adviceonstuff.com/AdviceOnStuff/?p=314 Hope it helps....Gary

#283716 - 03/24/10 09:46 AM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
BlkNotes Offline

Hello GCbin;

What made you select the Audix OM6 over the OM7. Do you find the strong off access sound rejection and sensitive proximity
effect diificult to become accustom to?

Thanks
BN

#283717 - 03/24/10 11:01 AM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You want the best, get the best... Neumann KSM140

Watch how many TV shows and live megastar shows use these as the main vocalist mike. I thought my EV767a was pretty good, until I played a club that provided these for the band

If you want hyper-cardioid rather than cardioid, try the KSM150...

#283718 - 03/24/10 12:02 PM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
BlkNotes Offline

Hi Diki;

How do the KMS 140 & 150 compare to the 104 & 105?

Wow, those prices are dear.

But I have to beleive that one can obtain a much better price to performance ratio then the 140/150. Neumann do make a good products, but a hefty portion of their price is for the name.

BN

#283719 - 03/24/10 03:00 PM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
frankieve Offline

I currently use a OM6

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#283720 - 03/24/10 03:49 PM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
BlkNotes Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by frankieve:
[B]I currently use a OM6

What the difference between the Om5, 6 & 7 ?

#283721 - 03/24/10 05:58 PM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
After auditioing many mikes, my Wife (yes, obviously a female singer - not male) settled on an AKG D7. (The D5, as has been mentioned, is more suitable for a male voice.)

My point is this:

Even though by the looks of it, Audix has come across a clear winner in some people's minds (and of course especially from that link) we've found you HAVE to try MANY mikes to see what works with YOUR voice.
I'm well aware that's obvious advice, but many people I know just try a few different major brand mikes they *think* will suit them.

My advice is to try extremely cheap or expensive or "unusual" mikes to see if something "catches" with your individual voice.

Hell I know somebody who uses a Shure SM57 (primarily instrumental) Mike!

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#283722 - 03/24/10 10:14 PM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I use to worry about which mic to purchase, but not now. With the Bose mixer module, you have many choices of built-in mic emulations from various companies. It's fun to change them around on gigs to see the effect.

#283723 - 03/25/10 06:46 AM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
I don't believe they're mike Emulations.

They're EQ settings to be used with the particular mike (or instrument) they're named after....

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#283724 - 03/25/10 07:19 AM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
keysvocalssax Offline

i'm not hip to what the link review referred to as "slowness" in the D5. can someone explain this to me?

------------------
Miami Mo

#283725 - 03/25/10 12:01 PM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Unfortunately, there are not a lot of places where you can try before you buy. I no longer use a handheld mic, therefore, my last experience was several years ago using the Samson Q7, which is inexpensive, and provided excellent results.

Much of the quality you will get from any mic will be dependent upon YOUR vocal quality. Of course, some mics will respond better to high pitched voices, while others may respone best to mid range or lower, softer voices.

For the most OMB entertainers, our vocal ability is the dominant feature of our performances. Therefore, the cost of the mic is irrelevant just as long as we sound great to our audiences. Like DonM I have a lot of mics, all of which have their own attributes. They're all good, but some are just a bit better than others.

Good luck on your search,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#283726 - 03/25/10 12:26 PM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
Diki Offline

For me, one of the most important issues with a mike is pickup pattern. Few take it into account, but traditional cardioid mikes are designed so the best feedback rejection comes directly from where the mike is pointing (the sharp end, that is ). However, for keyboard players, our monitors are seldom directly in front of us, the keyboard gets in the way. We put ours to the SIDE.

A super cardioid or hyper cardioid pickup pattern has rejection nodes more to the side of the capsule than directly in front, and in my experience allows you to run your vocals a bit hotter without feedback. Place your keyboard monitors off to each side, slightly ahead of the arranger, and you are in the optimal spot for a super cardioid mike...

Just a thought.

#283727 - 03/25/10 11:06 PM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
keysvocalssax Offline

so i guess nobody else knows what the "slowness" problem of the D5 as seen by the reviewer who likes the Audix means? so maybe
there is no such thing as "slowness"?????

also would like to mention that i bought the lowest-price mic in Sam Ash (bottom-end Samson)
to use for guest mic at my open jam. it's amazing how good that mic is. everyone so far
likes it better than the vintage SM58 i had before.

------------------
Miami Mo

#283728 - 03/26/10 08:40 AM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
frankieve Offline

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#283729 - 03/26/10 08:44 AM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
gcbin Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by keysvocalssax:
[B]so i guess nobody else knows what the "slowness" problem of the D5 as seen by the reviewer who likes the Audix means? so maybe
there is no such thing as "slowness"?????

I am the fella who posted that link on mic reviews. My intentions were good, but now I kinda wish I had not. Sitting here feeling kinda foolish for posting the link, I just did an extensive search on this mic, and could find nothing else referring to any "slowness", and nothing but positive reviews. (Maybe the author of the article works for Audix).. I think I would trust the opinion of users on this forum who have actually worked with a particular piece of gear. Heck, I think I am ready to pick the D5 myself and try it out. With a voice like mine, I need all the help I can get!
Gary

#283730 - 03/26/10 08:48 AM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
frankieve Offline

I've also used a D5, and I have found it to be a bit boomy or bass heavy. You really need to buy them and try them on a job, if it's what you like great, if not keep it for back-up or sell it off on Ebay.

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#283731 - 03/26/10 08:56 AM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
gcbin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BlkNotes:

Hello GCbin;

What made you select the Audix OM6 over the OM7. Do you find the strong off access sound rejection and sensitive proximity
effect diificult to become accustom to?

Thanks
BN

Never tried the OM7. The OM6 was recommended by a friend. As to your other question...No problem here. Gary

#283732 - 03/26/10 09:17 AM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:

also would like to mention that i bought the lowest-price mic in Sam Ash (bottom-end Samson)
to use for guest mic at my open jam. it's amazing how good that mic is. everyone so far
likes it better than the vintage SM58 i had before.

I use the Samson R11 for guest mics. It's great, has low handling noise, has a switch too. A lot of proximity effect, but you just don't boost the bottom end. I've used it myself and it's very good. Best thing is the price; you can find them for $20. apiece.
DonM

#283733 - 03/26/10 11:15 AM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
Diki Offline

The proximity effect is another area of mike response that buyers should think about. They all vary, and a lot of what makes your decision for you depends on how you (or whoever is going to use the mike) actually use the mike. Particularly for 'guest' singers, you see vastly different mike to mouth distances, often varying wildly for the same person!

So a mike with as little proximity effect will keep things more consistent. While we, as pros, may be aware of mike technique, many others are not. A mike with the best feedback rejection, and with the least proximity effect is often the best choice for others sitting in...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online