SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#283718 - 03/24/10 12:02 PM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
BlkNotes Offline

Hi Diki;

How do the KMS 140 & 150 compare to the 104 & 105?

Wow, those prices are dear.

But I have to beleive that one can obtain a much better price to performance ratio then the 140/150. Neumann do make a good products, but a hefty portion of their price is for the name.

BN

#283719 - 03/24/10 03:00 PM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I currently use a OM6

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#283720 - 03/24/10 03:49 PM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
BlkNotes Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by frankieve:
[B]I currently use a OM6

What the difference between the Om5, 6 & 7 ?

#283721 - 03/24/10 05:58 PM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
After auditioing many mikes, my Wife (yes, obviously a female singer - not male) settled on an AKG D7. (The D5, as has been mentioned, is more suitable for a male voice.)

My point is this:

Even though by the looks of it, Audix has come across a clear winner in some people's minds (and of course especially from that link) we've found you HAVE to try MANY mikes to see what works with YOUR voice.
I'm well aware that's obvious advice, but many people I know just try a few different major brand mikes they *think* will suit them.

My advice is to try extremely cheap or expensive or "unusual" mikes to see if something "catches" with your individual voice.

Hell I know somebody who uses a Shure SM57 (primarily instrumental) Mike!

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#283722 - 03/24/10 10:14 PM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I use to worry about which mic to purchase, but not now. With the Bose mixer module, you have many choices of built-in mic emulations from various companies. It's fun to change them around on gigs to see the effect.

#283723 - 03/25/10 06:46 AM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
I don't believe they're mike Emulations.

They're EQ settings to be used with the particular mike (or instrument) they're named after....

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#283724 - 03/25/10 07:19 AM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
i'm not hip to what the link review referred to as "slowness" in the D5. can someone explain this to me?

------------------
Miami Mo

#283725 - 03/25/10 12:01 PM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Unfortunately, there are not a lot of places where you can try before you buy. I no longer use a handheld mic, therefore, my last experience was several years ago using the Samson Q7, which is inexpensive, and provided excellent results.

Much of the quality you will get from any mic will be dependent upon YOUR vocal quality. Of course, some mics will respond better to high pitched voices, while others may respone best to mid range or lower, softer voices.

For the most OMB entertainers, our vocal ability is the dominant feature of our performances. Therefore, the cost of the mic is irrelevant just as long as we sound great to our audiences. Like DonM I have a lot of mics, all of which have their own attributes. They're all good, but some are just a bit better than others.

Good luck on your search,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#283726 - 03/25/10 12:26 PM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
For me, one of the most important issues with a mike is pickup pattern. Few take it into account, but traditional cardioid mikes are designed so the best feedback rejection comes directly from where the mike is pointing (the sharp end, that is ). However, for keyboard players, our monitors are seldom directly in front of us, the keyboard gets in the way. We put ours to the SIDE.

A super cardioid or hyper cardioid pickup pattern has rejection nodes more to the side of the capsule than directly in front, and in my experience allows you to run your vocals a bit hotter without feedback. Place your keyboard monitors off to each side, slightly ahead of the arranger, and you are in the optimal spot for a super cardioid mike...

Just a thought.

#283727 - 03/25/10 11:06 PM Re: Best Current Microphone Contenders???
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
so i guess nobody else knows what the "slowness" problem of the D5 as seen by the reviewer who likes the Audix means? so maybe
there is no such thing as "slowness"?????

also would like to mention that i bought the lowest-price mic in Sam Ash (bottom-end Samson)
to use for guest mic at my open jam. it's amazing how good that mic is. everyone so far
likes it better than the vintage SM58 i had before.

------------------
Miami Mo

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online