SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#282933 - 03/10/10 06:09 PM Re: ON BASS Chord question
kdistefano Offline

Update: Support from Yamaha helped me find the chord. I'm not sure if this is an undocumented feature, but no one here seem to know?

To get Bb/C you hold down
C - C# - Bb - D - F

I guess the C# converts it to the correct chord I want!

Still having problems finding Bb/G. Anyone?

#282934 - 03/10/10 07:00 PM Re: ON BASS Chord question
zuki Offline

Do you have the internal setting on "fingered on bass"? Or what do you have the 910 setting as?

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#282935 - 03/10/10 10:56 PM Re: ON BASS Chord question
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by kdistefano:
To get Bb/C you hold down
C - C# - Bb - D - F

And that is EXACTLY why you should avoid these things like the plague...

Anything that makes you play a WRONG CHORD to get a right one is insane... and unmusical, and teaches bad habits, and...

#282936 - 03/11/10 04:58 AM Re: ON BASS Chord question
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
kdistefano,

To get the S910 (or Tyros) to play a Bb/C instead of a Bbadd9/C, you must voice the chord C-D-Bb.

You can be in On Bass Fingering, or AI Fingering...the former seems more natural to me.

The display will read Bb*/C, but it is the correct sounding chord.

It also works for chords like C/D...if you play D-E-G-C (in On Bass) you will get Cadd9/D, but if you play D-E-C you will get C*/D.

So, essentially, you must leave out the 5th of the chord (when in root position)... with Bb chord it would be F, and with C chord it would be G.

I hope this helps.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 03-11-2010).]

#282937 - 03/11/10 10:33 AM Re: ON BASS Chord question
kdistefano Offline

zuki> Yes, fingered on bass mode

Diki> Avoid all arrangers, or avoid the S910?

ianmcnll> Interesting. Yes your Bb*/C chord gets me an even different flavor then the actual Bb/C chord. Have you tried that? You press C-C#-F-Bb-D to get it. I think I like the sound of that better (would depend on the context actually). So what exactly do these 'star' chords stand for anyway? I don't see them in my documentation. I pressed C-C#-Bb and got a 'C*' cord. Interesting sounding chord for sure...

#282938 - 03/11/10 10:55 AM Re: ON BASS Chord question
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Get one of these http://www.roland.co.uk/products/productdetails.aspx?p=880&c=82 and you wont need to bother about On Bass

[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 03-11-2010).]

#282939 - 03/11/10 11:10 AM Re: ON BASS Chord question
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I did a recording using the Love Song style as an example, using only the bass and piano parts and reading off the score, the chord I suggested, C-D-Bb, gives you a bass note (bass guitar) of C, and a piano triad above consisting of C-D-Bb...so it's leaving out the 5th and using the C as root of the piano chord.

The first one you tried, Bbadd9/C, C-D-F-Bb gives a bass note(bass guitar) of C, and a D-F-Bb-C piano chord above, again using D as the root.

Use whatever works for you....I never use the one with the C# in it...I use either Bb*/C, or Bbadd9/C.

I'm not sure what the Star "*" stands for...I think it is when the keyboard can't recognize that type of chord, but it's just a guess.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 03-11-2010).]

#282940 - 03/11/10 02:45 PM Re: ON BASS Chord question
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by kdistefano:
Diki> Avoid all arrangers, or avoid the S910?

Avoid fingering methods that have you play WRONG notes as a shortcut to getting what you want... They force you to have NO LH sound, for a start off (otherwise you would HEAR that awful C#!), and then they make you learn arcane fingering (just how WOULD you play all those notes together in one hand, anyway?), which, if you are a beginner, teach all KINDS of bad habits...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online