Loc: English Riviera, UK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xjSHbWTyBE

Trying to think what tune it reminds me of, any ideas

Bill

[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 02-28-2010).]

#282300 - 02/28/10 06:45 AM Re: Wersi abacus demo dance live
Bachus Offline

This is not exactly good dance music..

Where is the cutting solo sounds the sweet backings, the fat bass, and the awesome drums ?

Leigh obviously has no clue about dance Music and what exactly makes people wanna dance and go all out on that kind of music. Tough very good playing skills this was very bad dance music.

I think the dance quallitty of this performance says more about Leigh then about the Wersi. Its like ACDC playing Schubert.

[This message has been edited by Bachus (edited 02-28-2010).]

http://keyszone.boards.net

#282301 - 02/28/10 07:19 AM Re: Wersi abacus demo dance live
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:

lol... No idea at all but I can tell you that they played this type of music for 2 hours at the Circus I was at with my kids last Friday.

I'm not dissing the artist, I actually really like the tune and I think he can play very well. All I'm saying is it sounds exactly like the music played at the Circus.

It's the awkwardness of it all that just make it sound that way. The Styles used VS the sound, VS the melody. None of it really fits into the "Dance" box. Just sounds like Circus music to me.

Regards
James

#282302 - 02/28/10 01:04 PM Re: Wersi abacus demo dance live
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Do you remember all those excruciating records of the sixties where the James Last Orchestra, or Strings Unlimited would cover the top hits of the year? It was like the rhythm sections had only listened to pop music for the five minutes it took to rehearse the song, they hadn't got a clue about the style they were playing.

Same here. IMO, the primary mistake he makes is the home organists' Achilles Heel... too much bloody reverb! Here's a heads up - the sixties are OVER Drenching everything in a wash of plate reverb is SO over. And if this guy had ever LISTENED to dance music, he might realize this. Plus, that cheesy string synth sound... please

This isn't dance music. This is James Last plays dance music!

#282303 - 02/28/10 05:03 PM Re: Wersi abacus demo dance live
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Now this is Dance music. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJHKlVNN3nA
On a Korg of course.

#282304 - 02/28/10 05:59 PM Re: Wersi abacus demo dance live
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Check out Sister Bliss playing the KORG Trinity live and one of the biggest Dance songs of all time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1sxd3Z9lvc

Now that's what I call HYPER cool. Used to play this tune live myself back in my younger wild days. The crowd always went mental.

James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 02-28-2010).]

#282305 - 02/28/10 06:14 PM Re: Wersi abacus demo dance live
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:

Not sure but I would say one of his influences was Madonna's, Papa Don't Preach.

-mike

#282306 - 03/01/10 05:01 AM Re: Wersi abacus demo dance live
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
Check out Sister Bliss playing the KORG Trinity live and one of the biggest Dance songs of all time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1sxd3Z9lvc

Now that's what I call HYPER cool. Used to play this tune live myself back in my younger wild days. The crowd always went mental.

James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 02-28-2010).]

After watching the crowd response to this song (performance?), I'm guessing this crowd was already 'mental' before they arrived. I tried to evaluate this performance with an open mind (difficult, I know) as I do with a lot of ROCK performances that seem musically shallow to me but still seem to ignite (mostly young, middle class) audiences into some kind of mass hysteria.
Ok, I know it's an age/cultural thing (mostly age), but what I see is:
1. A solid, perhaps better-than-average ROCK drummer
2. A pretty blond playing repetitive riffs (with the proper hypnotic effect)
3. A weird-looking 'front man' for maximum visual effect (in this case, a Zombie, imported directly from Haiti )

That combination, or some small variation of it, seems to be the key to success for a lot of rock bands (making lots of money and getting lots of chicks ) and musical content be damned.

I'm not knocking it, just jealous . Sure wish I'd been smart enough (apparently my lack of talent would not have been a handicap) to have tapped into this pot-of-gold. I look at least as good as that front man .

chas

#282307 - 03/01/10 07:51 AM Re: Wersi abacus demo dance live
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
After watching the crowd response to this song (performance?), I'm guessing this crowd was already 'mental' before they arrived. I tried to evaluate this performance with an open mind (difficult, I know) as I do with a lot of ROCK performances that seem musically shallow to me but still seem to ignite (mostly young, middle class) audiences into some kind of mass hysteria.
Ok, I know it's an age/cultural thing (mostly age), but what I see is:
1. A solid, perhaps better-than-average ROCK drummer
2. A pretty blond playing repetitive riffs (with the proper hypnotic effect)
3. A weird-looking 'front man' for maximum visual effect (in this case, a Zombie, imported directly from Haiti )

That combination, or some small variation of it, seems to be the key to success for a lot of rock bands (making lots of money and getting lots of chicks ) and musical content be damned.

I'm not knocking it, just jealous . Sure wish I'd been smart enough (apparently my lack of talent would not have been a handicap) to have tapped into this pot-of-gold. I look at least as good as that front man .

chas

Chas, when have you been to a hardcore DJ performance?

You really need to experience this dance phenomenum in first person to understnad wht this hype and hypnotic does to ones brain..

Its all about harmony, it goes back to or ancient roots of wardrums in ancient africa... there is a reason they call it trance...

I don't care for dance music much at my home or in my car, but when i go out its an awesome thing to visit these dance festivals overhere in Holland... Tiesto and other dutch top deejays really know how to get people intoo trajnce for sure, and its way more fun then dancing Foxtrot or walse, its an emotional thing...

Sometimes music needs to be simple to succeed, its another version of the 3 chords rule... simplicity rules...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#282308 - 03/01/10 09:03 AM Re: Wersi abacus demo dance live
124 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Do you remember all those excruciating records of the sixties where the James Last Orchestra, or Strings Unlimited would cover the top hits of the year? It was like the rhythm sections had only listened to pop music for the five minutes it took to rehearse the song, they hadn't got a clue about the style they were playing.

Same here. IMO, the primary mistake he makes is the home organists' Achilles Heel... too much bloody reverb! Here's a heads up - the sixties are OVER Drenching everything in a wash of plate reverb is SO over. And if this guy had ever LISTENED to dance music, he might realize this. Plus, that cheesy string synth sound... please

This isn't dance music. This is James Last plays dance music!

LOL! Right on, Diki. Go into any Woolworths (remember them?) and this would be sat there on the Embassy label for 3/6d. Right beside the Aged Cheddar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online