SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#281893 - 02/22/10 03:28 PM Re: Just how good is your hearing ?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
PS...

Open these files in an audio editor... laugh your socks off! Not even CLOSE to a sine wave. Plus, original files are 192kbps MP3's at 44kHz sample rate. Why couldn't the poster just post .Wav's at 16bit? Might have been a bit more sine-like (24bit @ 48k would have been better, too).

Bottom line is, once you are in the digital realm, pure sine waves at these kinds of high frequencies are impossible to produce. You are getting too close to the Nyquist limits of the technology, even at CD quality. This is why you'll see real analog equipment in reputable audiologists' labs. Only they are capable of generating tones without spurious artifacts.

Google test tone wav to get to some sites that offer free CD quality test tones, if you like. But open up any past 10kHz or so in a decent audio editor (one that shows the ACTUAL sample points) and you'll see why those audiophiles still like their analog playback systems!

#281894 - 02/22/10 03:30 PM Re: Just how good is your hearing ?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Last post...

There's only one thing I REALLY would like to be able to do like a teenager...

#281895 - 02/22/10 07:11 PM Re: Just how good is your hearing ?
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
PS...
Open these files in an audio editor... laugh your socks off! Not even CLOSE to a sine wave.

What files are you looking at Diki ?.

#281896 - 02/22/10 09:59 PM Re: Just how good is your hearing ?
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

It's not whether you HEAR like a teenager - it's whether you PLAY like a teenager! Or post here like one... That test has already been failed by some here, without them even being aware of it

Diki,

I did say earlier that it was a laugh and James knows it's not a laboratory test under controlled conditions, did you just say the same but in many words. You would not be fitted with a pair hearing aids on the basis of the test, however it is high likely as I said that some of you have tinnitus which has its own frequency which will interfere with any test, I am typing now without my hearing aids and my tinnitus is screaming at some high frequency I cannot measure, when I put my hearing aids in the tinnitus disappears. I really find it hard to believe that anyone who has been around load noises for years as a number of people in SZ you have not got some form of tinnitus; perhaps you have got use to it. back, I play KB like at teenager, but what you where alluring to above my frequency is perhaps a bit too fast.
Cheers

PS I would never believe you are only 54 Diki, I had a big paper round when I was a boy, you are closer to a teenager that I am.

[This message has been edited by Tony Hughes (edited 02-22-2010).]

[This message has been edited by Tony Hughes (edited 02-22-2010).]
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#281897 - 02/23/10 11:54 PM Re: Just how good is your hearing ?
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Had a Hearing Test yesterday in the town's new community health centre.
Found to have "moderate to severe" hearing loss.
Going to get new 'digital' hearing aid in six weeks time.
All on the National Health service and free.
Can't wait to see if it damps down this damned tinnitus.
Oh well, at 77 maybe I shouldn't be too surprised.....had tinnitus for 20 of those years...I read the other day about someone who got rid of his tinnitus after a brain op and woke thinking he was deaf and then was scared to death at all the noise he could hear!
I could put up with that..

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
http://www.music2myears.plus.com

#281898 - 02/24/10 09:15 AM Re: Just how good is your hearing ?
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by eddiefromrotherham:
Had a Hearing Test yesterday in the town's new community health centre.
Found to have "moderate to severe" hearing loss.
Going to get new 'digital' hearing aid in six weeks time.
All on the National Health service and free.
Can't wait to see if it damps down this damned tinnitus.
Oh well, at 77 maybe I shouldn't be too surprised.....had tinnitus for 20 of those years...I read the other day about someone who got rid of his tinnitus after a brain op and woke thinking he was deaf and then was scared to death at all the noise he could hear!
I could put up with that..

Eddie,

You will perhaps lose your tinnitus with the new hearing aids, I did, it comes back when you take them out, the first time I walked up the stairs with the new hearing aid I heard this clicking noise, it was the bones in my ankles, when you run the wash basin taps it hurts like hell at first, noises you haven’t heard for 40 years. And to cap it all you will now know what your Doris as to put up with when you play the KB. You may decide to sell it! Eddie you will be surprised, I can guarantee it!

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#281899 - 02/24/10 11:00 AM Re: Just how good is your hearing ?
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Thanks for your support Tony.
I will let you know what experience I have in due course.
Hopefully it's going to be as good as it sounds (no pun intended!)

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
http://www.music2myears.plus.com

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online