SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#281883 - 02/21/10 05:52 PM Re: Just how good is your hearing ?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I could only hear up to 8000. For 25 years I sat next to the drummer. Oh well, I'm thankful for what I have left.

Tom

Tom

#281884 - 02/21/10 06:40 PM Re: Just how good is your hearing ?
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:
Frans and Irishacts -

You two are seriously pathetic!

According to you I only have cheap computer speakers so why would you want me to take the test?

hoping that I fail too prove a point?

have fun!

Huh..!!!!

Trust me, your nowhere near that important that I'd orchestrate such a thread just to trick you into testing your speakers.

Man, your one seriously paranoid dude.

The thread is what it is, just harmless fun for everyone, and not just you.

James

#281885 - 02/21/10 06:56 PM Re: Just how good is your hearing ?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I got as far as 19...I didn't think I'd get that far, but, I guess the years of wearing ear protection paid off.

Good bit of fun, and quite revealing, James.

Ian

#281886 - 02/21/10 09:18 PM Re: Just how good is your hearing ?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Weird...19Khz sounds louder than 20kHz and 21kHz louder than 20kHz. 22kHz sounds like a bumble bee. So -yes- I hear them all.

Just don't tell my wife or I no longer have an excuse that I never hear her telling me to take out the trash...

which I do every day.

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

[This message has been edited by Taike (edited 02-22-2010).]

#281887 - 02/21/10 09:23 PM Re: Just how good is your hearing ?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Am I missing something or isn't this all predicated on how high the volume is on your speakers ?!? ... I could hear them all and I've got a punctured eardrum on the right side ... born with it, but it wasn't enough to keep me out of the Army ... and in the Tank Corps no less ... that 90MM gun sounded REAL loud inside that thing!!!
t.

#281888 - 02/21/10 09:24 PM Re: Just how good is your hearing ?
Tony Hughes Offline

Hey Chaps,

It's like James says a bit of fun, it's not a controlled experiment, you won't win a prize and after all that you still won't be able to tell which is best PA2x or Audya. They say that women can hear higher frequencies than men, so ask your Doris or Patsy which is best, PA2X or Audya, shell probably say it depends whose playing it.
And she will be right yet again!

Cheers

[This message has been edited by Tony Hughes (edited 02-21-2010).]
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#281889 - 02/21/10 09:45 PM Re: Just how good is your hearing ?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Hughes:
ask your Doris or Patsy which is best, PA2X or Audya, shell probably say it depends whose playing it.

Cheers

Isn't that the correct answer, though?

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#281890 - 02/22/10 05:32 AM Re: Just how good is your hearing ?
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
Weird...19Khz sounds louder than 20kHz and 21kHz louder than 20kHz. 22kHz sounds like a bumble bee. So -yes- I hear them all.

Just don't tell my wife or I no longer have an excuse that I never hear her telling me to take out the trash...

which I do every day.

Taike

That sounds a little odd. Could be that your speakers are under pressure there.

The tone produced is a super clean Sine Wave, so there's no buzzing in it. If you hear buzzing it could be just distortion from the speakers trying to produce the sound.

Don't worry about it, when you get upwards of 15Khz your into some seriously high frequencies. To do the test right in the first place you would need to use headphones that are rated higher than the 22Khz.

Regards
James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 02-22-2010).]

#281891 - 02/22/10 12:00 PM Re: Just how good is your hearing ?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
My Hearing Aid is down in her office making us a living
I have excellent selective hearing.
My neighbors hear really good. They call me up when I am playing and ask me to play a song for them
Bebop

#281892 - 02/22/10 01:42 PM Re: Just how good is your hearing ?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Without headphones, I'll admit to not hearing much past 16kHz, with my headphones, not much past 17kHz. Years of live music in loud bands takes it's toll! Not to mention, at 54, it's about average, from what my audiologist tells me. But a FAR more important test is how much attenuation you get in the 2-6kHz range, where speech and much music's fundamentals exist. That's a far more important test, but hard to check without rigorous checking of your test gear.

To be honest, unless you set AND LEAVE your levels for this test at the same level, it's really a bullsh*t test. If you crank those high frequencies up enough, to be honest, with an MP3, you aren't really hearing the test tone but artifacts from the encoding process. Not to mention aliasing from your soundcard, etc.. Self administered tests like this don't really show much, I'm afraid. Want to REALLY know where your hearing is? Go see an audiologist (not a rep for a hearing aid company!)...

Of course, I'm sure that many of you realize that there isn't a single musical sound in those ranges, just the upper limit of some of the overtone harmonics. You might miss a hair of detail, but it's not really a true test of whether your hearing in general is any good. Most of what you listen to is a good two to three octaves below those test tones.

But, no doubt those who claim to hear up into the 20kHz+ range are feeling good about themselves...

But here's a more important question...

It's not whether you HEAR like a teenager - it's whether you PLAY like a teenager! Or post here like one... That test has already been failed by some here, without them even being aware of it

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online