SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#281789 - 02/20/10 10:26 AM Back to the Future, a voice from the past
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Hithere,

Iguess my last entry here was about 6 years ago ! In the preceding 6 years I was a fairly frequent visitor here and was particularly keen on the Korg PA80/PA50 keyboard for which I programmed a fair amount of sounds and in particular registrations.
I am kinda surprised to see, and grateful at the same time, that folks like DonM, Uncle Dave,Fran Carrango, etc.etc. are still kicking ass here~!
In 2005 I sold all of my keyboard gear and basically leaned on playing the acoustic guitar, hence my silent departure here.
Unexpectedly I acquired an old Yamaha keyboard, the PSR1100, a far cry from you uptodate professionals I know. However
I meanwhile managed to orchestrate a beautiful ballad with the help of the Yamaha and am hoping to share this with you, all the more so as I have uploaded it on youtube,
where I have also placed a 2005 recording done on the Korg PA80.
The new recording should ring a bell to those who liked the likes of the beegees, and Olivia.......you know who !
I first altered a PSR style and recorded the keyboard track to which I added the vocals...
More entries on YouTube under my alias:
matseims
Greetings to you all from Holland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21OGwCujAyQ

#281790 - 02/20/10 11:19 AM Re: Back to the Future, a voice from the past
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Hey John...good to see you here again...

Nice recording..Did you do multiple takes for harmony, or did you use a harmonizer?

#281791 - 02/20/10 12:42 PM Re: Back to the Future, a voice from the past
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
John,

Really great to both see and hear you again. You really do an outstanding job with that antiquated keyboard, proving once again--it's the player and singer--not the keyboard.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#281792 - 02/20/10 12:47 PM Re: Back to the Future, a voice from the past
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
John, indeed good to see you around. I was wondering whatever happened to you... Good to hear eveything is fine.

Talking about old keyboards... I also returned to the old faithfull Pa50. Well, why not?

#281793 - 02/20/10 01:58 PM Re: Back to the Future, a voice from the past
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Good to hear from an old friend, John. welcome back!
DonM

#281794 - 02/20/10 11:08 PM Re: Back to the Future, a voice from the past
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by john smies:

Hithere,

Iguess my last entry here was about 6 years ago ! In the preceding 6 years I was a fairly frequent visitor here and was particularly keen on the Korg PA80/PA50 keyboard for which I programmed a fair amount of sounds and in particular registrations.
I am kinda surprised to see, and grateful at the same time, that folks like DonM, Uncle Dave,Fran Carrango, etc.etc. are still kicking ass here~!
In 2005 I sold all of my keyboard gear and basically leaned on playing the acoustic guitar, hence my silent departure here.
Unexpectedly I acquired an old Yamaha keyboard, the PSR1100, a far cry from you uptodate professionals I know. However
I meanwhile managed to orchestrate a beautiful ballad with the help of the Yamaha and am hoping to share this with you, all the more so as I have uploaded it on youtube,
where I have also placed a 2005 recording done on the Korg PA80.
The new recording should ring a bell to those who liked the likes of the beegees, and Olivia.......you know who !
I first altered a PSR style and recorded the keyboard track to which I added the vocals...
More entries on YouTube under my alias:
matseims
Greetings to you all from Holland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21OGwCujAyQ

Nice one John, you have a look of Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees, have a peep, can you hit those high notes bet you can.

Regards
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6tlKW6foKA
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#281795 - 02/20/10 11:17 PM Re: Back to the Future, a voice from the past
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Greetings John. Listened to both videos. Very nice. Good to see you back

#281796 - 02/21/10 02:52 AM Re: Back to the Future, a voice from the past
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Hi John,
long time no seen.
Really enjoyed your songs; didn't kow you were a Cliff Richard/Shadows fan.
Your guitar sounds wonderful and your camcorder kicks butt (can you share with us the make of both? )
Hope to see you more in the future.
Ciao
A.

#281797 - 02/21/10 05:37 AM Re: Back to the Future, a voice from the past
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Thank you all for your compliments,feels good to be back.
Not sure I will be able to contribute much in reviewing new keyboards but I will try from time to time to add some more music, either with guitar or keyboard on my youtube page, and keep you posted.
As to your queries, Fran asked whether I used a harmonizer on this song and the answer is nope I simply added two more vocal tracks on my old and trusted Boss 8 track digital recorder.(gee, it still works with Zip disks would you believe !!!)
Not surprised Adimatis you returned to a PA-50,I mean moneywise it was and remains a steal. I am thinking of buying one again myself.
As to Tony's question, I don't think I will be doing Saved by the Bell, but I have some more Beegees stuff in mind.
Dreamer (ciao Andrea, fa piacere sapere che anche tu sei sempre qui ancora) asked me about the acoustic guitar and webcam that I am using. Actually I have had loads of comments on both. The guitar is basically a true Martin, but entry level. model: DX1K
those interested it is really cheap, particularly if you should be so lucky to live in the USA, check out details here:
http://www.mguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=s&g=X&m=DX1K

The webcam is the Logitech C500, costs about 50 euros, so all in all incredible value.

And yes Andrea, I have been a Cliff Richard fan for over 45 years now. Great artist,sold more records than any other artist , dead or alive, in the UK, and of course has had global successes throughout his 50 years (so far) career. Only in the USA he has not been very successful.
Hope this answers all of your queries so far and I will be reading your inputs from time to time.
Best wishes to you all,
John

#281798 - 02/21/10 06:00 PM Re: Back to the Future, a voice from the past
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
John,

Good recording! It's nice to know you are still making music. Keep it up!

Tom

Tom

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online