SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#281694 - 02/18/10 12:56 PM Ketron Speaker Review
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I had the pleasure to test the new Ketron speakers, I was a able to compare them against the Mackie Thump 15, and Rcf Art-312a with a Art 705 sub.

Cosmetically the finish is a textured durable plywood with a professionally looking finish.
The MB10 is the self-powered two-way, it comes in at 52lbs!!! A bit heavier than I would have liked. It has a 10” driver and 1” hi-freq., 250 rms. to woofer, and 50 rms. to the 1”.Interesting point here is they are using Bang&Olufsen ICEpower Digital power, so it is at the highest level of audiophile sound. The size is 18.9” x 13.4 x 12.6” a very nice compact size. Info states a 125 db max, with a 40-20hz response, they don;t tell you what the offset in db are so there can be a 10 db swing.

The SK12A is equipped with a 12” sub with a 400 w rms ICEpower amp. It comes in at 44 lbs and has a very nice footprint of 14.8”x 24.4”x14.8” easy to handle with 1 hand and load in and out of a car. The sub also will power a second passive sub (SK12) which is a great feature, enabling the savings and adding 3db more bass.

Comparing the MB10 to the others I noticed a lack of low end since it was a 10” verses a 12” and 15”, but a very smooth sound going to the 1”. The Thump 15a had a dip then rise in the sound around the woofer meeting horn frequency which can be expected from the size differences. But the Ketron and RCF had a very musical passage between, I actually preferred the low mid range of the Ketron to the RCF. The Ketron had a higher presence in the hi-mid-range, probably helping in the throw and perceived clarity portion. With of course the ability to dial down or up different frequencies with eq adjustments in back.

The Sub was very impressive for a 12” and was extremely easy to handle and move around. It had an extreme center of gravity with the handles being offset to counter the weight of the amp and woofer when carrying.

Listening to the Ketron set-up vs the Mackie and RCF, the Mackie was a distant third when it came to overall quality. The Ketron was a very pleasing sound with a little bit much in the mid-range but would cut through a crowd no problem. I think overall the RCF set-up was the winner, but we are talking a 12” to a 10”, then a 15
 to a 12” for the sub. I can definitely move the Ketron system without help. the RCF you would need an extra person.

Ketron has informed me that they have some very aggressive pricing for the speakers, to get them out there so people can hear what they can do. I have a set here at my shop and they are impressive.

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#281695 - 02/18/10 01:28 PM Re: Ketron Speaker Review
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Are the Ketron's going to be as aggressively priced as the Mackie Thump's? Thing is, if the Audya and other Ketron arrangers are anything to go by, their definition of 'aggressive' might be a bit different to ours!

As expensive as Ketron stuff seems to be, wouldn't comparison with Mackie's more TOTL (or at least, MOTL) products (SRM's and subs) be a more apples to apples comparison? The Thump line is Mackie's entry level stuff, basically...

#281696 - 02/18/10 01:41 PM Re: Ketron Speaker Review
leezone Offline

"Ketron has informed me that they have some very aggressive pricing for the speakers"

like Diki said,

they also have some real aggressive pricing on that AUDYA :-)

#281697 - 02/18/10 01:44 PM Re: Ketron Speaker Review
leezone Offline

"Ketron has informed me that they have some very aggressive pricing for the speakers"

like Diki said,

#281698 - 02/18/10 01:45 PM Re: Ketron Speaker Review
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leezone:

like Diki said,

Leezone

You mean aggressively high ??
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#281699 - 02/18/10 01:52 PM Re: Ketron Speaker Review
frankieve Offline

The Mackie Thumps are at a incredible price, I sell them for $299, but they sound like $299.

The Ketrons where first priced above the RCF and FBTs but they are now actually lower than them, It's definitly not a Audya price guideline.

I use a RCF rig for my rock band, and I use Bose system for the wedding band, I might take on the Ketron system for a middle of the road set-up where I need the extra punch that I don't get from the Bose, but I need the compact size.

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#281700 - 02/18/10 01:52 PM Re: Ketron Speaker Review
frankieve Offline

If you want prices, please give me a call

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online