SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#281452 - 03/15/10 05:50 AM Re: New Mediastation update will support Native Audya audio styles
AFG Music Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
You paid for Yamaha's styles when you paid for your Yamaha arranger. Buying the arranger gave you (and only you) the right to use their styles in any way you choose to (in other words, you can't sell them to others, give them away to others, etc.). You can use them for your own original works, you can use them to perform copyrighted tunes at home for your own personal enjoyment, and if a paid venue has its' license in order, you can perform copyrighted material from other artists live, on a gig.

Although you have the right to copy CD's and DVD's for your own personal use, you have no right to distribute, sell or make other works from the contents of those media. Pretty standard stuff, and all fairly well known to all but those who deliberately choose to NOT find out about it.

I am glad someone has a handle on the issue, here...

but with a dvd i am free when i pay the dvd to play with different dvd players or PC-laptop. but you say here if some one pay his yamaha style he is not allowed to play it with a software that can play the style he most have a arranger from yamaha. you sound like if i pay for a akai sample cd i most have a akai sampler, but i think if you pay the sample cd you are free to play it with a sampler hardware or software that can play the cd. when i pay a style i pay for style creation and not for style format, becouse the style creator is free to produce the same style in different formats.

[This message has been edited by AFG Music (edited 03-15-2010).]

#281453 - 03/15/10 10:28 AM Re: New Mediastation update will support Native Audya audio styles
AFG Music Offline

and diki please read this about flie extensions:
http://trademarklawbriefs.com/?p=48

but yamaha Copyrighted his styles:
http://www.global.yamaha.com/news/2008/20080508.html

so, yamaha styles are copyrighted but not the yamaha file extensions, so user can use if they pay orginal yamaha or ketron style with ketron or yamaha hardware or third party software. if they create own styles in yamaha or ketron format they are free to use it with yamaha or ketron hardware or thirdparty software that can work with this 2 brands style extensions.

maybe i read it again wrong!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by AFG Music (edited 03-15-2010).]

#281454 - 03/15/10 10:55 AM Re: New Mediastation update will support Native Audya audio styles
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
I wonder....how would you go about copyrighting a style?

I would think you have to record it first. Record it, submit the recordings along with the fee, and have it registered (if you were interested in proving copyright infringement down the road).

So what would you record? Take a standard "whatever" style. You'd record the 4 or 8 or possibly 16 bars of sequence for the major, minor, and 7th chord groups. Maybe diminished and augmented too. You'd have 4 variations of those and then the fills, intros, and endings (of each variation). And you'd have to do a great job of defining originality for each of those sections (again to prove any infringement).

I always thought copyright was to protect "whole" pieces of intellectual property, not "snippets".

http://www.wisegeek.com/can-i-copyright-a-phrase.htm

If a manufacturer does copyright each and every style....that's a heck of a lot of work to go through. I would think they would be proud to show you their copyright on request (IMHO).

-mike

#281455 - 03/15/10 10:58 AM Re: New Mediastation update will support Native Audya audio styles
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Oops....I submitted my post, then saw the post from AFG and Yamaha's court ruling.

Answers my question.

-mike

#281456 - 03/15/10 11:03 AM Re: New Mediastation update will support Native Audya audio styles
AFG Music Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by msutliff:
Oops....I submitted my post, then saw the post from AFG and Yamaha's court ruling.

Answers my question.

-mike

did you read about file extensions to?

#281457 - 03/15/10 04:33 PM Re: New Mediastation update will support Native Audya audio styles
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by AFG Music:
but you say here if some one pay his yamaha style he is not allowed to play it with a software that can play the style he most have a arranger from yamaha.

Got to read what I post, AFG. I have already said that, if someone PAID for his Yamaha style (or any other copyrighted style, sequence, whatever) he is free to do with it what he wants for his own use. If you bought a bunch of Yamaha styles to translate and put in the MS, no problem. If you downloaded them for free off of some site, then no, you DON'T have the rights to use them.

And if you bought a Yamaha arranger, you have bought the right to use all the included styles, and quite possibly (haven't heard from Yamaha about this one) any legacy styles that aren't for sale on their website. But new IDC styles, that you are supposed to PAY for in addition to your arranger's ROM styles, you have to buy those to get the right to use them (whether in a soft arranger or a Yamaha arranger).

You see, the situation is already bad enough with new styles being as rare as hen's teeth until the main manufacturers release a new arranger. As you will probably find out should you choose to try and market your own original styles, and as you can see from many of the confused souls posting here, most people seem to think that new styles are fair game for piracy, not understanding (or deliberately ignoring) the copyright issues. But copyright is not there just to make some fat cat lawyer a bunch of money...

It is there, so that, when you spend weeks, maybe months, making a great style that everybody wants, you can SELL it and make some money back for your time. But ignore copyright, and after the very first style you sell, that person can now give it away for free (or even worse, sell it and keep the money), and the people HE gives it away to give it away as well, and the next thing you know, you made virtually nothing for your efforts, and everybody has your style!

You don't want that, do you?

The same process also extends to the big manufacturers. Putting together hundreds of new styles for a new arranger costs a FORTUNE. In older times, you HAD to buy the arranger to get the styles, because that's all they played in! But in today's world of emulators and virtual style players, for everyone that downloads all their styles for free and plays them in a virtual style player, that's one LESS arranger the manufacturer sold, and a couple of thousand dollars LESS they made to help pay for the styles they had made. And sooner or later, this trend continues, they aren't going to make styles at all (or at least go back to making them ROM only, uncopyable), and the business, which is already on the brink, will fail completely.

It is, after all, what has happened to the music industry. Rampant copyright infringement has reduced the once mighty recording industry to a shadow of the profitability it used to have... And it is starting to happen, via torrents, to the movie industry as well. If you stop paying for things, they will stop making them (or make shoddy ones).

Who wants that?

#281458 - 03/16/10 11:00 AM Re: New Mediastation update will support Native Audya audio styles
AFG Music Offline

diki:

asked Nobert about his software, his answer:

All style informations are from KETRON.

he wil soon, answer on this forum when the software is totally finish he said.

[This message has been edited by AFG Music (edited 03-16-2010).]

#281459 - 03/16/10 06:21 PM Re: New Mediastation update will support Native Audya audio styles
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Look out for a post shortly from KetronAJ, to clarify things for you all.

#281460 - 03/18/10 01:50 PM Re: New Mediastation update will support Native Audya audio styles
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by LIONSTRACS:
At this point..I'm tinking when I can give one MS S-Stock for FREE to James.
James..do you like have this B-stock MS EMPTY or also with the full 30Gb gigalibrary sounds and data?
less Gb installed..less Kg freight/shipment to pay...

James,

I have just realised was it me that helped you that MS, it could not go to a better home, I am sure we will see some results now, many a good tune played on an old fiddle.

Good Luck James

[This message has been edited by Tony Hughes (edited 03-18-2010).]

[This message has been edited by Tony Hughes (edited 03-18-2010).]
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#281461 - 03/22/10 07:08 AM Re: New Mediastation update will support Native Audya audio styles
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
New Live-arranger version released from Norbert.
now include the Organ Drawbars and SD2 setup:

Free download for your own test: http://www.lionstracs.com/store/livearranger-demo-p-248.html

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online