SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#281346 - 02/13/10 07:52 PM What's a good blues song to fit this Yamaha style?
Beakybird Offline

This is a video clip demonstrating a relatively new Yamaha Premium Style called "TheBlues." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaCU_niDUh4

I like playing blues progressions, but I don't know many individual songs.

Does anyone know a famous blues song that I could learn to showcase this, imo, great style?

Beakybird

#281347 - 02/14/10 01:36 AM Re: What's a good blues song to fit this Yamaha style?
Tonewheeldude Offline

How about Black Velvet? (Alannah Myles) for a more contemporary Blues feel?

The style might need rebalancing though

Black Velvet

the stlye sounds very bluesy and looks fun to play to. The guitarist part in the main style is very nice, but the pad Hammond is a little OTT (coming from a Hammond guy)

The only problem I have is not with this style in particular , but the intros and endings on most arrangers; i always feel a bit of a wally just sitting there while the keyboard does something I ought to be doing! (like the guitar riff at the start and end of the video).

love the 'three shot production'

[This message has been edited by Tonewheeldude (edited 02-14-2010).]

#281348 - 02/14/10 02:41 AM Re: What's a good blues song to fit this Yamaha style?
Tonewheeldude Offline

On second thoughts for more classic blues, how about John Lee Hooker "Thelma"?

Or if the style will stand being slowed down, then "Cold and Lonesome" by Jimmy Reed.

TWD

[This message has been edited by Tonewheeldude (edited 02-14-2010).]

#281349 - 02/14/10 03:33 AM Re: What's a good blues song to fit this Yamaha style?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Tonewheeldude:
The only problem I have is not with this style in particular , but the intros and endings on most arrangers; i always feel a bit of a wally just sitting there while the keyboard does something I ought to be doing! (like the guitar riff at the start and end of the video).

I think that they always use the OTT Intros for demos, but I know Roland's, and probably most others have four Intros... one is the OTT, one is the OTT without the solo, one is a basic Intro with no changes (you play them yourself) and one's just a count-in/pickup. Seems fair...

But if you find yourself eschewing all the Intros except the count-in, they can be converted to handy, dandy Break/Fills (one per Variation is MUCH more musical than one per style), with the only caveat that you have to trigger them in the bar before you need them. They can also be used for multi-bar fills, odd meter sections, all kinds of things...

Just 'cause it SAYS Intro don't mean you have to use them as such...

(BTW, unused Endings can be used as rit/pauses in the middle of songs. Just leave Autostart ON and when the rit/pause finishes, start playing again...)

#281350 - 02/14/10 07:24 AM Re: What's a good blues song to fit this Yamaha style?
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Any one of half a hundred BB King/Bobby "Blue" Bland tunes can be done with this style.

Junior Walker, Albert King, etc.

While the bass line kind of defines which song, they are actually quite interchangeable along those lines.

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#281351 - 02/15/10 07:21 PM Re: What's a good blues song to fit this Yamaha style?
Beakybird Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by --Mac:
Any one of half a hundred BB King/Bobby "Blue" Bland tunes can be done with this style.

Junior Walker, Albert King, etc.

While the bass line kind of defines which song, they are actually quite interchangeable along those lines.

--Mac

Could you name a few specific songs - more famous ones preferred?

Beakybird

#281352 - 02/15/10 09:31 PM Re: What's a good blues song to fit this Yamaha style?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Jimmy Reed stuff, such as Bright Lights, Big City, or Runnin' and Hidin'.
BB King songs, like Sweet Home Chicago, or Every Day I Have the Blues.
How 'bout Walkin' to New Orleans, Blue Monday.
You could even do Heartbreak Hotel, if the breaks fit.
I can think of dozens that fit it.
DonM

#281353 - 02/20/10 07:48 AM Re: What's a good blues song to fit this Yamaha style?
JR in TX Offline

Loc: Avinger, TX
The bass line reminds me of LINDA LOU.

"I call my baby Patti but her real name is Linda Lou."

Jay R

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online